1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV 650 1st Gen Superbike

Discussion in 'Bikes for Sale' started by vance, Dec 3, 2016.

1. vance

vance *

This is the list from the original for sale thread when I bought it in April:

Suzuki SV 650 1st Gen Superbike

Fully developed and tuned
    Powdercoated frame
    Sharkskins body with custom tail section
    Fully Blue Printed and Optimized Chassis
    GSXR Fork with Attack triple trees with Ohlins internals
    GSXR Wheels
    Penske shock
    Big calipers with braided lines and vented full floating rotors
    Frame sliders
    Vortex clip ons and rear sets
    SPA Design tach
    90 hp motor
    Falicon crank
    Carrillo rods
    High compression pistons
    Slipper clutch
    Keihen 41mm Flat slides
    Custom Ram Air
    Yosh pipe
    Quick shifter

Bike is located in Naples FL. $4500 OBO. Pic is from Homestead 12/3/16. Will post up more shortly.

Attached Files:

• SV1.JPG
      SV1.JPG
      File size:
      114.6 KB
      Views:
    Chaplain45 likes this.
  2. Helmet22

Helmet22 New Member

I want this so bad!

3. swiest152

swiest152 Zoran's headache

Falicon Crank = what?

4. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

very similar to the build I had on my SV.

5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That's what i was thinking. Less power but that could be just the dyno and climate?

6. vance

vance *

Pics

Attached Files:

7. vance

vance *

Anyone seriously interested in the bike should pm me so we can talk. The short of it is I bought this bike hastily, had a pretty bad crash on it, got it fixed and running so I can sell it with a clear conscience. The few people who know me on here will tell you I'm a stand up dude who cannot corner low.
    Lots of questions will be asked about the engine/hours/etc. and my frustratingly honest answer is going to be "I don't know".
    The bike has a pretty good pedigree and when it was in more capable hands than mine, did well. That's the main reason I bought it.
    On 12/2/16 I had the bike on the dyno for several hours, installed a new (different) set of carbs and took it to the 12/3/16 practice day at Homestead. It was running great by the end of the day and honestly I'm scared shitless of it and it's time to move on. I wish that had not been the case because I wanted this to be the bike I was going to stick with for a while. I even very recently bought piston kits from two members on here to shelve for a year or so down the road after I was comfortable on it

Edit: CFM rearsets, not Vortex

Edit#2: I might consider trading for an SV SS, 2nd gen (fuel injection) set up for 160-170 lb rider. I'm not mechanically capable of properly running this bike and honestly had no business buying it in the first place.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  8. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Might be. Mine also had the oversized valves and some head porting.

9. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

For anyone building a first gen SV with the big 41mm flatslides, consider adding an electric fuel pump.

I used the 3.5psi rotary fuel pump from CB performance. I added a switch to toggle the pump on and off so that it doesn't put undue pressure on the float needle when the bike was warming up.

The pump is pretty cheap too. IIRC I paid about $65 for the pump.

10. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

LOL! This is great and should be the best selling point in my opinion. Good luck

11. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

12. vance

vance *

If the bike doesn't sell, I may start messing with a few things. This may be one of them. Maybe it can be an intermediate track day weapon :crackup:

13. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Happy to help. They are a very simple bike. Fuel, spark and that's it. No real electronics to worry about it.

14. vance

vance *

No shame here. Started racing on an R1, then a 600 but years of nothing but a ninja 250 may have castrated me :)

15. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

So you raced an R1 and a 600, and this is scary? Does it have power delivery or tuning issues?

16. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

Why? I have 3 SV's with 41mm FCR's and use the stock vacuum pump with no issues.

17. vance

vance *

Started on an R1, couldn't ride at all, point and shoot, parked in the corners. Bought a 600 while I had the R1 and realized I could learn more on the 600. Bought a TZ125 while I had the 600 and realized I still couldn't ride. Ended up on a 250 for the last 4 years and I think I've learned a lot. I tried to apply that to this SV and yes, after going 100mph on the 250 for the last 4 years with a better understanding of corner speed, this thing is scary to me dropping off the banking at Homestead. Will the rear spin up? I don't know... Been tough to gather up the balls to find out.
    I'm not claiming the bike is so powerful that it's a freak of physics and is the fastest SV in the country and someone needs to buy it. I'm saying I can't roll on the throttle without fear and I'm not having fun while I'm on the bike. It's the reason I don't buy a 120hp air-cooled Duc to be competitive in the LW classes here in South FL. I definitely don't need another 600 or 1k.
    I was so pissed over the whole situation this weekend I considered pushing it into the canal in the back yard to see if I could get coral to grow on it. I have the 250 and am putting together a 500 for next season, so with a few more baby steps if it doesn't sell, I'll get back on it, maybe buy a stock motor and set this motor aside for a few years. Seems a waste to sit in the garage, but I understand the situation I'm in trying to sell this thing with limited information on the motor build/hours, etc.

To answer your question:
    After multiple attempts to tune the carbs, we gave up and put a different set on this past weekend. The bike finally ran great this past Saturday. A better rider might have a different take on the tuning.

18. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

Lol on the canal part. I think it's smart that you got a 250 to learn on. I started on an FZR400, which has a 2-stroke-like powerband. No cheatimg with the throttle. When I stepped up to a SS SV a couple of years ago, it was so much easier to ride with all of the torque. I figure mine is putting down 80 at the most, but it's pretty damn fast. I bet another 10hp is a real kick in the ass!

Is it the 41 flatslides that you weren't able to tune?

19. vance

vance *

Yeah, what I'm told is there's a diaphragm inside the carb that cannot be replaced (makes no sense to me but whatever). The set that was on the bike when I bought it in February (just realized I put April in the original post, but that was a brain fart, no idea where April came from) have never been able to be tuned. Every time I've had the bike on the track it's been on a borrowed set of 41 flatslides. It was finally agreed upon that I would receive the swapped set and the original seller of the bike would try to resolve the issues with the faulty set.

20. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

Ok gotcha, so you swapped them for another set of 41's and it fan well?

I hear flatsides are hard to tune, but have no experience with them.