1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suzuki GSX-8s

Discussion in 'General' started by gcally, Nov 8, 2022.

1. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

No. But, under the control of the world’s pro riders, it definitely looks like silly fun. Haha.

I would’ve bought a 1090 ADV, when I bought my Triumph, as the dealer offered either at the same price. But, again, no cruise control on the KTM was a deal breaker. The thought of hearing that engine through Akras was enticing, though.

At this point in life, I’ll be steadily reducing size/weight.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

This was rumoured for a while with the move to a parallel twin. Supposed to be easier and cheaper to manufacture the p-twin. Who knows.

3. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Wait a fucking minute, does gixxer not translate anymore?

4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Gary Gary... Its Ok man... No worries... They will have BNG's the next 2 decades!!!!

5. [​IMG]

Shenanigans likes this.
  6. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

I actually like the look of it. Very much like the Duke 890R styling. Will not perform like the KTM but should be less cost/maintenance so a great streetbike for the masses.

7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Totally agree, wish they made the 'Strom version better looking though. Only thing that I don't care for is the OEM accessory saddlebags are the throwover type instead of having dedicated mounts.

8. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as a better looking 'Strom. They're just born ugly. It's a universal truth :crackup:
    Yeah, it's kinda like they're saying you can only sport tour on it solo. Fuck them passengers. They better get their own damn motorcycle....which, actually, onboard with that. Everyone should ride their own.

9. Tristan

They looked a lot better a few years ago, now they look like the bastard child of a late 70's RM and a Tonka truck.

Even solo riding I like secure, waterproof storage on all my bikes.

stk0308 likes this.
  10. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

No way on the R7. 66 hp stock. In WERA SS build form, 75 - 78 HP max. Spend $10k plus on a MA Superbike build motor and you are at best 95 - 98 HP on spec fuel.

Michael Hausknecht likes this.
  11. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

Drop in cams and air filter you are at 83-85 on the R7.

R7 claimed stock HP is 74
    RS660 claimed stock HP is 100
    GSX-8 claimed stock HP is 81

When you consider the new GSX-8 weighs 445 lbs that puts the R7 and GSX-8 close in performance. The RS660 is in another league.
    We need more options for LW twins legal bikes and in my opinion this bike fits right in with the R7 and RS660.

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Someone turned that off a few weeks back. It was still funny but it is almost as funny no one really noticed until now.

grapefruit!

Shenanigans and E Reed like this.
  13. Tristan

Comparing mfg. claimed HP or weights is pretty useless... there's no standards followed.
    Nobody knows yet what the GSX will do in race trim- it may be a great fit or it may be a dog. If it wakes up easily with exhaust and tune/flash then allowing it in LW classes won't give us more options...it'll just replace the SV. Not an appealing scenario to me with my collection of SV's and SV crap.

14. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

Only time will tell…. but we need to move on from the SV at some point. Trust me I feel your pain I have 2 3rd gen fully built endurance bikes.

I would like to move to a new platform other than the R7 or RS660. Hopefully Mongo will give it a chance.

15. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

The numbers I posted above are from a MA R7 builder who dynoed each scenario on the same dyno and are rear wheel horsepower numbers. The OEM claimed stock HP of 74 is most likely at the crank.

Michael Hausknecht likes this.
  16. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

That is my point.... The GSX-8 81 HP is also likely at the crank so both bikes have similar power considering the R7's is 30 pounds lighter.

Once bikes start to hit the track, we will know better but my opinion is to give it a chance.