1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SUV Opinions Needed

Discussion in 'General' started by Ducti89, Aug 30, 2021.

1. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Hey all,

Im in the market for an suv. We are looking at Rav4s, Muranos, Sorrentos and the like.

We’re looking at models from ‘17 to ‘19 with an under $30k budget.

Mpgs (without a hybrid system) and comfort are the key goals besides reliability.

Any foul weather conditions, towing and hauling can be handled by my truck.

So what sayetht the beeb?

Thanks in advance!:blart:

2. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

If it has a CVT, stay away. If its Mitsubishi, set it on fire and then stay away.
    I'd also avoid anything European unless its Porsche.

3. Ducti89

Thank you for reminding me about the cvt systems. The truck is 4 wheel.

I know Mitsubishi kinda sucks and I cant afford the Uropean models:D

4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

My daughter bought a 16/17 Lexus NT200 beginning of 2020 and has had no problems with it. I drove it the other day when visiting her and it is very nice. This is the Lexus version of the Rav4.

Sweatypants likes this.
  5. Gixxerguy855

Gixxerguy855 Well-Known Member

We picked up a VW Atlas and it’s been a dream. Wife has had numerous SUVs such as the MB ML 350 and Ford Edge and she likes this one the best.

BigBird likes this.
  6. Ducti89

Thanks Rob! Ill take a look!

7. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

After stupidly buying a BMW for my teenaged daughter, I got her a Rav4. It simply does everything it's supposed to do, without fail. As for the BMW, we should have nuked Germany when we had the chance.

8. Ducti89

:crackup:

9. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I believe that most all of the mass market Japanese small utes have a CVT now outside of the RAV4 and Mazda.

Do NOT buy a Nissan with the CVT.
    Personally I think the RAV-4 is UGLY.

My parent's have a Mazda CX-5 and so far so good. It drives better than a most of the non-luxury Utes. A 2019 CX-5 Touring should easily fit in the budget. If buying used, just get it before all the Ida flooded cars start hitting the market.

No experience with the Korean Utes, so they might be fine for your needs.

bored&stroked and Ducti89 like this.
  10. Chango

Chango Something clever!

My 2010 Rav4 has over 196,000 miles now and it just keeps running.

Admittedly, it needed a new alternator at only 175,000 miles, So I guess they just don't make them like they used to.

Montoya and Ducti89 like this.
  11. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

My wife has a 17 F-Sport NX200T, she bought it with around 20k miles on it and it now has around 45k miles on it and it has been perfect. I tried to explain to her that it's just a fancy RAV4 with a turbo but I will admit it does look a lot nicer, and she's really happy with it. It was under $30k when we bought it but that was before the current market.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  12. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Don't forget the Highlander.

cha0s#242 and Ducti89 like this.
  13. Greg ZX6R

Greg ZX6R Well-Known Member

I had a 2012 RAV4 4 cylinder that had no issues for 161k. Wife currently has a 2019 Highlander that hasn't had any issues for 27k miles, but one thing I don't like about it and a lot of the newer SUVs are the "sealed" transmissions; they make it much more difficult to change the fluid correctly, and sometimes the fluid costs a lot more than previous model year transmissions.

14. surfingsk8r

surfingsk8r Well-Known Member

We just picked up a 22 hyundai tuscon as a daily for the wife and I seriously love it. If you get an SE it's under 30k. We got our SEL for 32k which I feel was worth it given the options. It's awd with an 8 speed non cvt and we are getting 35 to 37 mpg highway despite being rated at 29. Around town we get about 32. Can't beat the warranty as well. Worth looking at if you can IMO.

15. mattys281

mattys281 Banned

I picked up a 4runner for my wife a couple years ago after her rav4 had been stuck in the snow for more than a week. That thing is bad as bad can be, and about 10x the four wheel drive capabilities as my ram 1500. On a washed out mountain road the little Toyota makes my truck look like a window licking retard.

the sticker price sting fades pretty quick when you realize you’ll never be stuck again

SuddenBraking likes this.
  16. Zoomie

Zoomie Well-Known Member

Shopped the Mazda CX-5. Nice vehicle, decent prices, great reviews. It was a solid second choice.
    However, wife’s previous has been Acura and Lexus, so Mazda was a bit of a step down.
    After a lot of research, shopping, and personal experience, Audi was first choice.
    But I didn’t want to pay 50k+ and eat a ton of depreciation.
    Patience, and a lot of shopping, scored a 3 year old loaded Q5 with 30k miles for 24k. (Pre-covid)
    Going on 3rd year of ownership and wife loves the car.
    Happy wife, happy life.

17. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

We got my wife a 2017 Mazda CX-5 to use as her daily driver - leased it for 48 months.

Mazda called 7-8 months ago and wanted it back to resell early so they paid us $4800 to bring it in. Wife loved it, we had zero issues with it, and it was actually quite capable in the winter no matter how much snow we got. Only negative was the puny 2.5L 4-cyl engine - way underpowered for a heavy SUV so if we were to get another one, it'd have to be with that new Turbo4-cyl they have now in the Mazda 3 and CX-30.

We have friends that bought a new Kia Sorrento a couple years ago and rave about it. We owned a Hyundai Santa Fe 7-8 years ago as well and in 4 years had no issues at all. As mentioned, cant really beat that Kia/Hyundai warranty either.

Ducti89 likes this.
  18. So no Audi?

Howcome?

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

Chrysler Pacifica.

If not...I hate SUVs, Had a '20 Q5 loaner, that was terrible, drove a '19 Sorrento, terrible. '21 RAV4 XLE, horrendous driving and lacking a decent interior.

Durango actually drove well, and nice inside. Favorite is Mazda CX-5/CX-9 as drive fantastic for what they are. We have a few within the immediate family and they all love their Mazdas.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  20. Ducti89

Really? New? Where are you located? Round the Delmarva peninsula and Philly area Ive seen their prices at the high 30s