1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

suspension help...

Discussion in 'Tech' started by D4DR racing, Nov 15, 2007.

1. D4DR racing

D4DR racing Well-Known Member

A suspension guru I am not!!!

05 GSXR 600, penske triple on the rear, stock forks

the bike is running wide on exit. If I try to force it to hold the back steps out and damn near highsides me. Tires are balling up pretty bad too.

any help with what direction to go in getting it adjusted is much appreciated.

2. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Have you done base line settings for sag and ride height?
    Was the bike set up for a smaller rider?
    Sounds like not enough weight on the front or too much low speed rebound on the rear, but if the springs and/or sag are way off, you have no chance of getting it to turn.

3. D4DR racing

D4DR racing Well-Known Member

it was set up for a rider my weight and I set the sag properly, it needs the fine adjustments and I'm just starting to dive into learning suspension setup so was just looking for a direction to go in before I started fiddling.

4. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Does it have a "nose down" attitude sitting still or is it flat or even low in the rear?
    I would check to see that the comp and rebound are not maxed at the forks and shock and depending on chasis attitude or front/rear weight bias, back off perhaps most of the comp and rebound and go for a road test.
    It it's running wide then the chasis attitude or front weight (or both) are biased to the rear.
    Question is which area is off or if it is a combo of things that are off.

5. leanangle_750

leanangle_750 Pimpin' Parts

I could be a multitude of things. Insufficient sag in the front, excess sag in the rear, rebound too quick in the front, compression too quick in the rear, improper front/rear ride height, tire pressures, etc. I'd start investigating those things first.

Your best bet would be to get with someone at your track that can work with you.

You said your sag was set 'correctly'... what exactly are your numbers? How much free sag do you have f & r? What's the rear end eye-eye? And how much fork do you have showing above the top triple?

6. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

+1 :stupid:

Give us some info:

tires
    ride heights (front and rear)
    sag #s
    spring rates (and your weight)
    clicker setting on the shock.

7. L7MS

L7MS Well-Known Member

Make sure the shock lenght is correct. Many people bring bikes to my shop to be set-up. When I do my initial measurements I find there a several GSXR guys that have shocks for the wrong year on the bike. I know that there are good deals on used parts, (I buy them too) but people need to know that different year bikes use different length shocks. Example a '01-'03 GSXR 600 Ohlins shock is 325.5mm with an adjustment of +6mm. The '04-'05 GSXR 600 is 332.5mm with a +6mm. Now put a '01-'03 shock with the ride height maxed on a '04-'05 bike and you are shorter than the stock '04-'05 shock.

8. georgiadawg

georgiadawg Elbows Out

get ohlins

9. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

Lower the front or jack up the rear a little.