1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Summit, WERA & AirFence

Discussion in 'General' started by Peanut, Mar 15, 2002.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Roger just called me. He's working on a couple of options with the track, stay tuned...

[This message has been edited by Papa Thiam (edited 03-17-2002).]

2. Empty Pockets Racing

Empty Pockets Racing where's my collar bone?

Count me in as well.

3. grady anderson

grady anderson Well-Known Member

I'm in...see you all on the 28th

4. EXPERT35

EXPERT35 Well-Known Member

I will chip ($) in the best I can.I think a better fence would be the best way.At over 100mph 20 more feet of run off doesent do much.I would like to see something that absorbes better

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Brain fart - thinking the right side in T3, not the left side at T4...

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

For some reason, T3 doesn't concern me nearly as much as T4. Maybe I need to take a better look next time.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's okay, I wasn't thinking that we'd had any problem on the left with riders going down but then again, I only get up there once a year or so.

I thought in T4 (now that I'm thinking fo the correct turn) that the crash line is pretty much parallel to the wall rather than heading right into it. Have there really been that many problem with it that I haven't heard about?

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I once saw a guy lying flush against that wall for a whole lap before red flags went up. Corner workers couldn't see him. If someone had gone off there... It's just a scary place.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Cool, FWIW I got an email this morning from Roger Lyle detailing the ideas he has all of which sound great and doable. I'll do my part and see what Bill and Maria (the GM) think about all of it too.

10. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

*Most* of the time you'll end up in T5 because you crash parallel to the wall, but in three years I've seen 2 medivacs out of T4, a nasty fire, a SV broken in half, and numerous destroyed bikes. It's definatly NOT my favorite turn.

- Roach

11. C-Par

C-Par Well-Known Member

Yeah the is definately the scarriest part of the track. Offtrack 4 going into T5 with traffic is bad. Liable for T-Boning. Screw it Blast-it. Move the wall back and possibly air fence in front of it. I'm not much a fan of kitty litter or sand, b/c it'll get in my engine. But I guess safety is definatey more important than a stupid engine.

12. Sean Jordan

Sean Jordan Well-Known Member

Parsons, you have obviously never corner-worked at Summit. The pea gravel on the outside of turn 1 is WAY to big to get into your engine. That's probably what they would put in front of 4, if they did anything out there.

13. Laurie Acree

Laurie Acree Well-Known Member

I'll chip in. Thanks Roger Lyle for anything you can work out to get airfence for this place. [​IMG]

14. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

Amen.
    Anything done in the name of safety has my endorsment.
    Although the chances of ME running off are slim to none.
    No chance of running off if you can get off and run with your bike and keep up. [​IMG]

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Buck, you'd be surprised. The strangest crash I've seen happened at less than 20 mph. Guy revved the piss out of his Aprilia 250 to avoid stalling on pit out, then just dumped the clutch. He flew twice that day: first off the bike, then on a helicopter ride to the hospital. [​IMG]

16. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

Um, you've obviously never been IN the gravel trap in T1 at Summit, then used a shop-vac to remove the small BITS of pea-gravel that get sucked into your motor when you're not riding a bike with an airbox. [​IMG]

Dead-man kill switches are your friend.

- Roach