1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Summit Point - Any tips?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by bergs, Apr 9, 2012.

1. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

Having never been to Summit, are there any general tips or areas to use extra caution, let's say, in the wet for example?

I've been watching video for the last couple days and in the more recent ones there appears to be a bunch of patchwork that was layed down in various places some time after 2009-ish. Any particular reason for that?

Also, gearing. Based on what I've seen, stock gearing appears to be more than adequate on a 600. Is that a safe assumption?

I realize posting this thread might be a bit early but I like to ensure I'm prepared for any new-to-me track.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

2. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

Summit is an awesome track. People like to gripe about the surface, but it's not bad at all. They did some new work to the race lines a couple of years ago, and the transitions were really good when I rode it. I haven't been there in a couple of years, so I can't speak to the most current of conditions, but in general, it is a free-flowing, fast, fun track.

Don't go wide on the exit of 3... there is (was) a drop off at the edge of the pavement... not good.

Don't let off the throttle going in to 4... full throttle until you brake for 5. it looks sketchy at first, but after a few times through you will see it's not as sketchy as you thought.

T9 and T10 are fast turns, 9 is a banked uphill turn, on the gas as fast and hard as you can.

I'm jealous, I miss that track a lot.

3. Gorecki

Gorecki verwirrt und orientierung

T1 has bitten a few people (got me) but most often on start. Coming out of T8 can too but frankly I've not had a problem with it. Was told there's a couple tar snakes there that weren't last season.

Into T3 is blind up hill lefty, I've found the left side tree line is a good reference coming up.

Over all the track is in better shape recently than it has been in a while. The T3 drop isn't there anymore, there's a good size runoff now.

My 2cts.. :\

4. Mikey75702

Mikey75702 Well-Known Member

Last year, early turn in for 3 put you right on a bump, if you waited just a hair it was perfect. Surface wasn't bad in Sept when I was last there. Last year was much better then I had ridden it before.

5. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

Awesome... I think that was really the only part of the track that gave me the heebie jeebies. Glad that's not an issue anymore.

6. RollieManollie

RollieManollie I Need to Get My Beak Wet

Sure:

1. Don't play your unce unce music loud near the tech sheds after 7:00pm because you'll have the vintage guys posting here all moaning on Monday:D

2. Turn 10 in the paddock can be coned off perfect for a pit bike race. This is the only area of the paddock in which you can achieve a great pit bike race.

3. Wear ear plugs if you're sleeping outside in a tent or small trailer - the feral cat society gang bang is an all night endeavour!

That's the only tips I have for caution!

7. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

8. Suburbanrancher

Bergs, you going to Summit for this weekend? If you are, you doing Friday too?

9. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

Thank you for all the input.

I can see how T1 could catch riders out if they dig too deep or line up too far on the inside. A couple of the vids on YT clearly showed this.

For T3, it seems that there are a few choices to get thru there but what I'm noticing is the quicker line puts the rider right out at the paint on exit however at the risk of leaving the inside wide open for a possible dive bomb pass. Am I seeing that correctly?

As far as the surface quality, not overly concerned with it to be honest. Just want to get an idea of the details that a video simply won't offer.

Are there any screwdriver requirements for Summit?

No. I spaced this upcoming weekend when I posted the thread. Going in June and will be doing the practice sessions for sure!

10. Suburbanrancher

When you go in June just give a shout out and we can get someone to show you some good lines around there during practice. It's a cool track with a decent layout - you'll enjoy it.

11. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

Will do. Thanks!

12. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I stole this from someone on here who posted it a few years ago, hope it helps.

[​IMG]

13. natedogg624

natedogg624 Well-Known Member

^ sums it up.

14. ericlouie1

ericlouie1 Member

Don't chop the throttle on one, it will bite you.

15. simonburic

simonburic Runs Wide

Don't do this the first time your out on track, T4 is very fast. If you fall off there you better hope you hit the air fence because if not your going straight into the tire wall. My friend did this and hasn't been on any track since.

16. joec

joec brace yourself

just my opinion, but 3 isnt the easiest corner to pass in. id say its the toughest. you can run out of room real fast on the exit. its a late apex corner. turn in just after you think you should. do not early apex. it pushes you way wide on the exit. the locals will destroy you in t4. its ok though. we love railing past the fresh meat there. really, its tough to get your line, and its a mind fuck staying on the gas late. the left out of the carousel, stay left of track center. its crowned there a bit, youll likely get some mid corner chatter. if you stay left of center.....youre not going over that crown. dont crash in 10.

mind you, im old and ride slow junk.

there are new bathrooms/showers (i hope). the showers next to registration are usable. the gas pumps are mid way down pit lane. take a pit bike. the food sucks.

17. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Exit pits, turn right. Gas it until you see a checkered flag.

Easy peasy.

18. Gorecki

Gorecki verwirrt und orientierung

Yeah, easy for you to say. :rolleyes:

joec, yeah, the new facilities were done last season.

19. joec

joec brace yourself

yeah...was only there in the spring.....so it was still being worked on....

20. steve802cc

steve802cc Well-Known Member

Is it easy to learn the track? Can it be learned in morning practice or do you think the track day on Friday would be needed. It looks pretty staight forward.
    This will be my first time there (another damn newbie:Poke:)

Also anybody want to ride share. I'm in the Port Huron, Mi/ Sarnia Ontario area.
    I'm driving a chevy van 2500 deisel:up:
    Ideally my stuff in the van your stuff in a trailer and I stop and pick you up on the way. BTW I drive pretty slow.

See ya at the track.
    Steve

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012