1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Summit Point - Any tips?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by bergs, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

^ If you can do it, run the TD on Friday. Though the layout appears pretty straightforward, there's some lines and tips work picking up with the additional seat time.

2. bad67deuce

bad67deuce Well-Known Member

Is the Friday trackday through WERA, or a TD assoc.? Didnt see the provisional license school on the schedule, is'nt that available this weekend? Thanks

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not WERA. Yes there will be a school on Saturday - working on a revised schedule now.

4. bad67deuce

Thanks Mongo. Hoping to make this my first race weekend.

5. bad67deuce

So when taking the riders school on Saturday, you don't actually race that day, correct? Looks like a 4 lap mock race only, right?

6. Gorecki

Gorecki verwirrt und orientierung

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Right, you'll be ready to race Sunday.

8. TommyD

TommyD Well-Known Member

Thank you for fixing that mongo

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sorry Tommy! Wasn't sure how to set it up with the double header and while thinking it over totally forgot about it. :rolleyes:

10. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

Is there someone that can help me interpret the rulebook with regards to A, B and C bike? My machine is a 600cc that falls within the Superbike catagory however I'm a bit lost on the whole arrangement A, B & C.

A friend suggested that a C bike may not be allowed in "A" but I cannot find anything in the rulebook that states this.

11. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

You can race in A,B and C Superbike and Formula 1 if you want

12. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

Thank you.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

A = 1000cc, B = 750cc, C = 600cc. C can ride up to B & A, B can ride up to A. Basically production based bikes can go up two levels and Formula based up one level (so 125's can't run F1).

14. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

Mongo - Is there something available as far as how a race day is structured with regards to the clock?

Looking for time of rider's meeting, race practice, etc.

Also, how does one know which races are on which day? I may have overlooked it on the homepage.

General time frames are fine too if it's something that changes from weekend to weekend.

15. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

http://maps.wera.com/pdfs/2008Schedules/talladeganat042212.pdf

This is the Tally schedule. They'll link to the PDF files as soon as the schedule is ready. You can find it by clicking on the "schedule" link from the wera.com main page. I try to leave some leeway in the times because things can happen and change it a bit, but it does work as a guide.

Btw- I you dont stay at the track, don't oversleep and make registration three minutes before it closes! :D

Another tip: if you rent a transponder, give it back after your last race. Don't wait until you're all packed up to head to the tower to return it. They pack up fast!

If you're going to be at summit point on the second and third of June, pm me and I'll help guide you through.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'll hopefully get the May/June schedules done this week.

Plus one on the transponders for sure - the officials all have pretty long drives to get home too so they're not sticking around for long.

17. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Last weekend was a mess time frame wise for me. I went out to get some food on Friday night and borrowed a friends car because mine was loaded and hooked to the trailer. Well, I found out Saturday morning on the way to the track that I had left my wallet in his car! DOH!

My girlfriend was gracious enough to let me borrow her card for registration and the transponder rental, so I only registered for Saturday's races.

We typically don't stay at the track at Summit Point when we race there because the drive only takes 1.5 hours or so, and it's nice to sleep in your own bed.

Sunday morning, I somehow missed my alarm and woke up to see 7:15am on the alarm clock! Crap! 1.5 hours drive to make registration before it closes at 9:00! We walked the dog, got ready, and made it out the door by 7:30. I was at about 1/4 tank of gas and was worried I was going to have to stop for gas. (there's another story about me running out of gas, and then almost doing it again on Friday on our way to my buddies house, but I digress)

We get to the gate at 8:54am! I have my wallet in hand and we make registration at 8:57! Phew!

My race partner decided not to join us on Sunday due to low tire funds and needing a new set. So rather than risk a crash, he stayed home. Good thing he did though, as I had no fuel left in the truck, so we used the 3 gallons he had in his race can.

I was so excited about my finishes and having to pack up solo, that I forgot I had to give the transponder back! Crap! Back to the tower to return it. Only, when I get there, there is no one inside! (remember the part where I borrowed the girlfriend's card to register on Saturday?) I, as politely as possible, tell her I'll deposit the cash in her account to cover the cost of the transponder, and she's cool with it. On our way back from the tower I spot a few people walking in those new cool WERA shirts and give back the transponder! Woot! crisis avoided.

lesson learned. Give the damn transponder back asap!

18. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up on the .pdf. I'll keep an eye out for when that gets posted.

Clint - Barring catastrophe, there's not a chance I'll be late for anything. I have an alarm clock for my alarm clock. :D

I own a transponder so that's not an issue. Think I have the rest covered. Again, thank you

Really looking forward to my first WERA race weekend at Summit

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sounds like a pretty normal race weekend :crackup:

We don't immediately charge people for the transponders, we do give you time to ship them back to us.

20. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

http://maps.wera.com/pdfs/2008Schedules/summit060312.pdf