1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuff you won't eat.

Discussion in 'General' started by Metalhead, Jan 14, 2020.

1. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

aka "socarrat". I used to make Paella in a giant cast iron skillet. Turns out the thin-gauge soft steel used in traditional paella pans serves a targeted function. Indeed, "la paella" actually is a name for the pan.

Phl218 likes this.
  2. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

That’s what I’m still researching that crust that develops on the bottom of the pan. I want to try it on the grill as well

3. speedluvn

I was considering a paella pan but trying to allow the novelty of the dish to wear off. I’m currently using a large enamel covered cast iron pan.

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yes, but the others rotate.
    Not quite. At least, not as of when I checked, a couple of minutes ago.

5. dsapsis

On the crust: Use your ear -- sizzle, crack, pop is what you are looking for; use your nose -- toasted but not burnt.
    On the video: possibly solved. Never to old to learn.

6. Phl218

Phl218 .

Yeah we do it on the side burner, it needs that high heat available if needed. But tricky with a large diameter pan.

my in-laws have a dedicated paella burner stove that’s matched to a pan. Crazy good. Too bad their ingredients are not as fancy any more as they used to be.
    We still put real saffron in it

7. dsapsis

Traditionally, it's made over live fire/coals. Sometimes, the pans are big ea5123876ce6690ddb31ad1ef213ece9.jpg :D

Phl218 likes this.
  8. speedluvn

Of course! But how much saffron is considered a pinch? Cause I can’t taste it

9. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Actually it is called a Paellera.

10. dsapsis

Why are you asking Phil? He makes a comment about still using real (?) saffron, as if you could ever make Paella without it? :D

Saffron is very strong. If you aren't tasting it (presuming you aren't adding three threads) chances are its lame/old. As far as a pinch, see 0:23 in the video.
    According to my friends in Valencia, both are used interchangeably.

Who here doesn't eat Paella (besides Broome)?

speedluvn and Phl218 like this.
  11. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

My friends in Valencia called it a paellera.

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I love some saffron rice.

13. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I'm fine with Rice-A-Roni, the San Francisco treat.
    Toss in a can of salad shrimp, some cut-up hotdogs and some tuna, a dash of paprika and you're there.
    Maybe some garlic salt if you're into that kinda shit.
    Serve with your favorite wine.

mogen david cans.jpg

14. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Stuff I just ate. Wife made french toast with homemade bread from a Amish neighbor, local maple syrup from a guy at her work and a big pile of bacon from my brothers farm 3 miles down the road. All local and it was yummy. :)

Phl218 likes this.
  15. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Sounds nom nom! Taking my first stab at Angel Food cake tomorrow. I was a big baker when I was a teenager, about forty years ago. I'm more into savory these days, but I do recall that while cooking accommodates some flair, baking is unforgiving. We will see!

16. Phl218

Phl218 .

Back to the won’t eats:

- wannabe Italian food : soggy pasta , fake or re-culturized dishes like chicken parm (never seem that in Italy) or overpriced simple dishes ($20 pasta pesto)

- anything gyros that isn’t legit Greek gyros. Rather have the falafel then

Cannoli likes this.
  17. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Gwyneths candle.

18. Phl218

Phl218 .

i think I’ve had worse