1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Street vs. Race Tires

Discussion in 'Tech' started by chuckbear, Mar 4, 2011.

1. chuckbear

chuckbear Totally radical, bro.

First, apologies for another tire thread but I'm not looking for opinions on brands...

So I'm looking at trackday tires... I'm a trackday guy. I may get into racing in the future, but right now trackdays are much better for my budget. For those familiar with Jennings, I'm running a mid-pack intermediate lap :)35s-:36s from what I can tell on video) pretty consistently after 2 weekends at the track with pilot powers, stock suspension, and stock pads/calipers. I'm a noob, yes, but I'm improving fairly quickly and I've since picked up a set of forks with race tech gold valving, newer calipers, newer MC, sintered HH pads, and I'm looking at a TTX rear shock hopefully before I get back to the track in a few weeks and I'm thinking with better braking techniques and better equipment I'll be shaving a couple more seconds off of my times. One thing that may help to know about my riding is that I've tended to rely a lot on engine braking, but I'm working on breaking that habit...

So I'm trying to filter through all of the info and opinions on tires out there and I'm fairly narrowed down, but my issue is whether I'm still well within the range of "hyper-street" tires (I'm looking at Q2's and Power Pures) or if I'd be able to make use of a set of "race" DOTs (think 209GPAs or Power Ones). I've heard all about people "running low :20s on street tires" and the like, but frankly those guys are way faster and smoother and more consistent than I am and that really doesn't seem very applicable for a mere mortal such as myself. I've got tire warmers and a generator, so that's not an issue. Money is not a question and the price difference isn't significant anyway. I don't need help deciding on a brand; I'll get that sorted and I've read endless opinions on each. My only issue is gauging my pace and where it puts me on tires. I don't want to go with the race tires and end up with a bunch of cold tearing after a couple sessions because I can't keep heat in them, but if I can make use of them I'd like to have them. That's where I'm hoping some of you guys can help me.

So... do you think I'm too slow for Power Ones?

2. MINDOVERMATTER

MINDOVERMATTER You can't see me

1.30's laps arent mid pack intermediate. If you dont have warmers stick with what you have until you get faster

3. exfix

exfix Well-Known Member

why cheap out on traction if you want to improve your lap times? If you dont care sell the lap timer.

4. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

This. If you don't have warmers, race tires will probably end up performing worse for you. If you're 15+ seconds off the limit of street tires, you'll also get worse results with race tires.

You can do a whole helluva lot with street tires. Stick with them until the tire guy at the track says to switch :beer:

5. chuckbear

Sorry if I wasn't clear, it's midpack intermediate for the org I run with. I have warmers.

Not cheaping out.. But if I'm not fast enough to keep heat in the tires they're not doing me any good, right? I don't own a laptimer.

I have warmers but that's pretty much my line of reasoning... I'm not sure I'd see any benefit from race tires. I've seen several guys going much slower than me on their race tires cold-tearing them and I'm not trying to make that move before it makes sense. I just am not really sure how to gauge where that point is.

6. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

Pilot powers aren't exactly top of the line street tires nowadays. Get some Dunlop Q2s or Michelin Power Pures. They are much better than the regular PPs and should hold until you get faster.

7. MINDOVERMATTER

MINDOVERMATTER You can't see me

You can actually run a pretty good pace on street tires. I have seen guys run some advanced times on them. I don't recommend it but it is possible. Its all about how you feel on the tires. if you think they are holding you back then get race tires. If you feel like you can go faster on street tires stay with them. I think you can go faster at Jennings on street tires but that is just my opinion

8. PlayHard

PlayHard Well-Known Member

Jennings eats race tires, I'd stick with the street/trackday tire until you break into the high 20's. I think I switched at 27's or so.

9. Erz

Erz Well-Known Member

I will switch over to race tires if and when I start sliding into every corner. Until then its street/trackday tires for me.

10. benfer

benfer steadily going faster

i run Dunlop Q2's in racing and practice. After a long conversation with my tire vendor, until i start to push/slip the tires with consistency in the same places on the track, that's when I am out riding them and will switch to DOT race, but only for racing. I will still rock Q2's for practice and track days.

11. GBAUTO

GBAUTO Well-Known Member

I have used the Q2's @ jennings on the sv and can run consistent 1:24-25's. If I try and push harder than that they will get greasy. So, to answer your question- the Q2's are fine for your pace and are capable of much more.

12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

fyi... LOTS of riders have gone to basement 20s on street tires and stock (no ohlins/penske/elka/etc) suspension.

Nothing wrong with having more traction than you can use. The Pures will give you plenty of feedback before you are outriding them. And for the $$ any of the aggressive street tires would be plenty. If you find DOT race tires for the same price... buy them.
    Otherwise the biggest issue will be tire pressures. I found that running the Pures at the same pressures as the suggested power race(s) pressure.. 22r / 29f made them very confidence inspiring.

13. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

I have been to Jennings twice ever. 3 and 4 yrs ago, both times running a 98 zx6r that was beat and all stock, other than clip ons and raised rearsets. Was able to run into the 1:24- 25 range on Pilot Powers. The biggest problem I had was that by the 3rd day (did 3 days in a row both times), the rear was screwed on the left side. Had I flipped the tires, would have got another day or 2 from them. I would say stick with some street tires, and don't bother with the warmers on them.

14. chuckbear

Good deal. I noticed the greasiness too in the heat on PP's in September but PP2CT's were awesome in November with the colder weather. I may watch for a deal on some race rubber for the summer when it's hot but I'll stick with the street tires while it's still fairly cool.

I hear that a lot from some of the Advanced guys I go to the track with but I never really know quite what to make of it. I'm not nearly as consistent or smooth as the guys taking those tires to those limits so I shoot for conservative. Thanks for the heads up on the pressures.. I'd been running 29/29 cold on the PP's and PP2CT's so I wouldn't have guessed I could go so low on the rear.

Thanks for all the info and opinions guys, much appreciated. I'll stick with the street rubber for now. :beer:

15. nikk777

nikk777 Well-Known Member

+1 for Q2's

Sliding isn't a bad thing. It will teach you to pick a better, smoother line. Only been to Jennings once for a race weekend. 2 practices and a solo, then a practice and a few sprints. Ran an older model race tire for practice and solo which got to slipping in some places which forced me to find a cleaner line. Put on a new model race tire for sprints and never had a slip while dropping best times by 6 seconds from saturday to sunday!!!