1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Street help: cam pulse generator

Discussion in 'General' started by Chubby Huggs, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Chubby Huggs

Chubby Huggs Guest

Cam Pulse Generator: Anyone else have one of these fail?

My 99 VFR stopped running last week. It's like someone stole my plug wires while I was riding down the road.
    No coughing or sputtering just "vrooooooooom" and then silence!

I first thought it was the regulator / rectifier. Bought a new one, threw it on, swapped the plugs (as they usually get wet after long re-start attempts)… nothing.

Everything comes on and the bike spins over HARD but no "vroom vroom".

I looked through the book and found the cam pulse generator. It’s on the head, picks up the cam spinning and is supposed to send 0.7 vdc top the computer. Mine reads 0.005 vdc! So a new one is on order…

So anyone else had one fail? Do my descriptions match what you had? Think I'm heading down the right path? Any other stories / suggestions.

Before you say safety switches like clutch, side-stand… They wouldn’t even let the bike turn over and they’re still operational. Mine won’t “spark”.

2. LMcCurdy

LMcCurdy Antique

Pulse Generator. I thought that was what you used to run a digital odometer back before you traded cars. :D

3. James#306

James#306 Backmarker Extraordinaire

The Pulse Gen is on the head? Like on the "relay" (for lack of a better term) gear? :confused:

Which bank of cylinders is it on? Does the other one have one too?

4. Chubby Huggs

Chubby Huggs Guest

It's on the front side of the rear bank. The other set of cylinders doesn't have one.

It looks like a ABS pickup. It reads off a star shaped "wheel" on the outside of the cam drive gear.

5. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Some of them have failed on the RC-51s. I guess not enough for a recall though.

6. Chubby Huggs

Chubby Huggs Guest

Are the symptoms what I described?

7. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

I beleive that is the way that it goes. I will see what I can find out. :)

8. Chubby Huggs

Chubby Huggs Guest

Thanks, here's a pic from another site of the cam to answer the above question...

[​IMG]

9. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Here's the post concerning this copied from a fellow RC owner's report. I assume the VFR would be similar.

"My RC51 had a FI failure this weekend. This is the 2nd Rc51 with less than 10k miles I have seen this same failure in.
    120 miles from home, bike running perfect. Stop for fuel. Crank the bike, runs for 15 seconds at idle and quits. FI light on the dash stays lit. Bike will not start. Short the service check connector and see failure code 18, cam pulse generator. Its a long wait for the rescue truck."