1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

street etiquette question

Discussion in 'General' started by breakneckPace, Jul 16, 2014.

1. breakneckPace

breakneckPace Well-Known Member

Since moving to a new city I've been occasionally reading the local forums and a post came up with a video of a rider passing another rider in what some people consider a questionable/unsafe pass riding on the streets. It didn't seem bad to me, but the thread seems to have some people that are offended at the notion of it being even considered to be an ok pass. Which leads me to my etiquette question:
    For street riding is it considered wrong and evil to pass another rider on the right? (especially if he's basically on top of the yellow lines going slow). In the thread in question, it looked like a clean pass on the right, plenty of space between the two bikes, (in CA where lane sharing is allowed mind you), yet you would have thought this guy spit on everyone's drink with the reaction it got.

I don't ride on the streets much any more these days, just to and from work mostly, and I think I've maybe forgotten how to be a generous rider? Maybe riding on the track and racing, I've become pretty used to passing people on the left AND the right............ok, people passing me on the left and the right. So to me it didn't seem like a big deal to pass on the right? is this taboo?

2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Don't pass me in the same lane, and damn sure not on the right

3. Br1anbuck

Br1anbuck Well-Known Member

Agree. Passing in the same lane, unless waved by, is bad.

4. JeffroJ

JeffroJ 3 Ninjas and a Mexican

Does it really make a difference whether the person passes you left or right in the same lane? Had a guy pass me last week in the same lane, made me jump cause I had no idea he was there. Had he been smooth about it and let me know he was coming though, either side would have been fine.

5. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Depends...you riding with that person or is it a complete stranger?

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

YMMV, but passing on the right is not legal.

7. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Y'all don't have mirrors on your street bikes?

8. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Are we talking twistys or highway?

Highway- fuck em

Twistys- pass in the opposite lane when it's safe for you

(Yes I know both are illegal)

9. Sundaydisco

Sundaydisco Crooks Racing

While in a group type ride with friends and understanding the persons skill and comfort level on the bike then I mite would make that move depending on the road. The only other time that I have passed on the right has been let's say deals gap and a group of Harley's are hugging the yellow line in an attemp to make passing hard, then I have no problem cutting to the white line. I try to be respectful and use extreme cation when riding open road. The streets should never be ridden like the track and I do my best to be an exsample of that. However I agree that you should avoid passing on the right, most slower riders turn in way early anyways and it's easier to go around the outside.

10. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Post the video.

11. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

I was plugging along on the interstate one day (in the right lane)on the back end of a trip, just covering miles. Had the radio on and was oblivious to anything going on behind me. Out of nowhere some squidly mcsquidfucker blows by me on the right side at what I would guess to be 125mph plus (I had the cruise set at 80mph) on a beat to shit R1.

Scared the living shatner out of me. Wasn't anyone in the left lane obstructing his pass. Dude just wanted to be an asshat.

I tried to run him down to give him a piece of my mind, but the Goldwing isn't much for top end speed :(

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Passing on the right besides being illegal just proves you're an asshole. In a hurry?

13. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I'm with this guy.

14. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

How long have y'all been together?

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Two guys passing on the right. It's a love story.

16. Tristan

Yuck it up ya old pharts

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

At 47, you aren't exactly on the cusp of youth.:D

18. Tristan

Panther has underwear older than me

19. Tristan

And that Canadian-American man-love will take decades off!

20. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Do yours have skid marks?