1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straighten bent rotors

Discussion in 'Tech' started by VFR#52, Nov 11, 2021.

1. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Any shop known for fixing bent rotors?
    Have a few sets that need straightening.
    Thanks
    Steven

2. Daniel06

Daniel06 Well-Known Member

I used to straighten mine myself with a block of wood, a hammer, and a run out gauge mounted. Got them to .001-.002 ish with time and patience.
    No vibrations.

Mount wheel and rotor (take one rotor off, leave one on, so you can get to the back of the carrier while straightening) raise bike, rig up runout gauge, remove calipers and zip tie out of way. Use wood between rotor and hammer, hit carrier in positions that need straightening.

It takes time, patience and practice.

VFR#52 likes this.
  3. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

4. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

Heat ‘em up with tire warmers and then start hammering.

Too soon?

5. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

wasnt there another thread this morning about this?

TrueDisk does a good job

6. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

VFR#52 likes this.
  7. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

I've found it easier for me to just pay someone who does it these days.
    Have to much other stuff to do and I bought rotors that need this and then rotors I need are for an older VFR and the odds of finding a straight set are getting slimmer. So figured that finding a place to straighten then works best for me.
    Besides I dont own tire warmers to hear them up with. Lol

Steven

8. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

DrJohns in SoCal has been recommended to me before for straightening things. But I've never used them.

VFR#52 likes this.
  9. Daniel06

Daniel06 Well-Known Member

I understand the time. I had more time than money back then.

I didn't use tire warmers to heat anything. Not sure what that would do.

VFR#52 likes this.
  10. 418

418 Expert #59

I've never had any luck with somebody trying to straighten them. They always had noticeable run out. Including the place that was recommended to you in the Vintage section.

For street, maybe. For track, nope.

Can you put full floating rotor buttons on them? That's what I've done and it works great. Not cheap tho.

11. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

What's sad is I have a set of wave rotors that fit but are illegal for class I'm building bike for. But I'm willing to see if they can straighten the set I have that are bent a little
    So going to take a chance and have then work on them.

Steven

12. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

Wave rotors are illegal in vintage classes? If anyone seriously wants to claim wave rotors are a performance advantage I'd love to hear the rationale for that.

"Yeah he beat me because his wavy rotors are good for a second a lap over my stockers."

VFR#52 likes this.
  13. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

Unfortunately Will passed away in 2019 and is very much missed.

ibidu1 and VFR#52 like this.
  14. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Yep as anyone who knows me know how i feel about how some rules are made.
    Its usually with absolutely with no riders input in that class or any ideal with what bikes are actually on grid. LOL
    But The thing is in this class they are trying to preserve the original look of the bikes for that class.
    So i can agree with this rule and honestly i wouldn't use them on this bike because my main goal is to replicate a factory 86 VFR 750 as close as possible as i can without spending a fortune on building it.
    I have a Dymag 3 spoke front rim for this bike and if it wasn't so light and cool id just put a F3 front rim on it because it looks like factory front rim.
    But seems rim is for a RC30 and not an F3 like guy i bought rim from thought it was.
    Have like 6 sets of rotors for those rims. LOL
    This bike build is something I've neglected doing so after some health issues I've decided to get it done and race ready for new season.
    This bike is my favorite bike for me ever to own or race so it will be a show quality build unlike my other bikes ive raced.
    So far things are looking good and just need to have some things fall in line to get to next part of build.
    Thanks for all the info about rotors. May end up posting photos once its finished.

Steven

15. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

Ok I understand the goal of the bikes looking period correct so in that light the rule makes sense.

Have fun building the VFR. Way back in 1991 an 86 VFR750 was my first race bike because it was the bike I already had for the street. Terrible idea for a first race bike. After crashing a couple times, fighting overheating issues and getting my ass kicked by smaller bikes I got a real job and could finally afford a proper starter bike. The FZR400 was perfect and I never took the VFR to the track again but it remains my favorite street bike, and I've had dozens. Kudos to you for keeping such a cool bike going.

VFR#52 likes this.
  16. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Oh I refer to guys who are building these bikes to race as insane individuals who need counseling. Bahahaha.
    No parts available for them and no information either.
    This was my street bike and was bought to be one. It became vintage legal in 1999 so I made it a vintage bike and won the V6 championship on it in 01. I've solved some issues you mentioned back when it was raced. But have a guy on a GSXR 750 that needs some competition and hopefully I can give him some.
    Will post photos once done.

Steven