1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sticky clutch disks

Discussion in 'Tech' started by daviid, Feb 9, 2010.

1. daviid

daviid Well-Known Member

Today i put on a new chain and front sprocket on one of my bikes. and when i pull the clutch in, its EXTREMLY difficult to spin the rear wheel. In neutral its fine. I even went as far as removing the rear caliper and loosening the rear axle nut (and i didnt go superman on it either) just to eliminate those definitely.

i pulled the clutch basket out and every single friction and steel plate is reallly sticky. doesnt have the coated in oil feel. more like a glue. with all the disks out it rotates just fine in gear. put a few in, same thing, once i get about halfway it starts tensing up. it pretty much locks up once i get the Pressure? plate on. Ive adjusted the clutch cable so that it was definitely pulling the clutch out and yet no change.

If it matters my shop hasnt been heated this winter and im using Rotella 15w40 for oil

2. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Warm it up and try again...?

3. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

Very common with cold oil. I used to have a bike that would stall due to this with cold oil.

4. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

Yep, first thing to do is get the motor warm and try it. Should turn freely then, if it does not, check the basket for notching and the steels for warping.

5. Ironman11

Ironman11 Well-Known Member

Did you put the front sprocket on the right way?

6. daviid

daviid Well-Known Member

the wheel spun fine with the bike in neutral. the common suggestion is rotella getting realllllly thick in the cold. I didnt want to fire it off yet, as the motor hasnt been broken in yet. But its now down at the dyno waiting its turn.

yes the front sprocket is on right, i even double checked before putting it on

7. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

You may have seen my earlier posts on which weight oil to use but once again, I vote thinner is better....

8. mxracer95

mxracer95 Well-Known Member

What brand clutch fibres are you using? Some aftermarket discs have a tendency to do this much more so than OEM. One of the main reasons I only use OEM clutches.

9. daviid

daviid Well-Known Member

i will most likely change the oil right after the break in dyno run. so im not worried too much. so $13 on wasted oil is better then $50 or more.