1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

static balancing tires

Discussion in 'Tech' started by brl0301, May 28, 2017.

1. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Unless they are pressed into the bearings, you're balancing against the friction of the captured spacers against the dust deals with the tapered cones instead of the bearings. A solid axle or inserts directly in the bearings are the best things to balance a tire on.

Or, it could be that the tire itself is simply that imbalanced. There are a few brands in particular we see that with a lot.

lonewrench likes this.
  2. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

Interesting. Where can I buy the axles like the tire guys have?

3. metricdevilmoto

I'm not aware of a commercially available set. If you're just doing your own wheels at home, bring your front and rear axles to any competent machine shop and tell them what you want. Should be relatively inexpensive.

4. brl0301

brl0301 Well-Known Member

I just pulled the wheel off and the spacers appear to be pressed into the bearings. If i turn the spacer on one side, it also turns the spacer on the other side. Does this change how i should be balancing the tire? When i have the cones and rod installed, it looks like the wheel is only rotating on the balancing stand bearings. That is how its supposed to work right?

5. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Yes... Just like it would on your bikes Axle...

duc995 likes this.
  6. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

looking forward to this with my current 16 wheel weight rear(5g each :Puke:) on my 09 SV... got a 170 rear to make it look "stance" and "cool" for re sale street lol

7. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

[​IMG]

5axis and Phl218 like this.
  8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

You need a straight and true wheel to start with. It needs to have good smooth bearings and you need to eliminate friction so using a dummy axle in the bearings is best. The tire industry always balance a tire and wheel as a assembly so balancing the wheel first is not needed.

If I remember correctly the out of spec tire max balance weight for Pirelli is 3oz for regular tires and 3.5 oz for tall profile tires. Tall profile tires are normally cruiser tire sizes like a 170/80-15, 180/70R16, etc. and not sport tires. And when you think about it 3 oz on a tire and wheel assembly that probably weighs 20-25 lbs is not a lot of weight.

Then look at it this way, your using a RS10 Bstone and that is going to last how long? 3K or 4K on the street and 3 or 4 weekends on the track? In this day and age it is very rare to see tires that are way out of balance. So you have two options IMO, check the out of balance max spec for Bstone and if out return it for a warranty inspection. Or just run the thing and then if you have the same problem with the next rear get with your tire guy.

9. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Professional teams from MotoAmerica to MotoGP balance the stripped wheels in every case. Special weights, marked and sealed with foil tape so they are not removed for remounting. Since the rear can spin on the rim with lower pressures, this is a little bit of a safety margin to keep the rider from experiencing vibration during a race.

Phl218 and Boman Forklift like this.
  10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

www.marcparnes.com

11. metricdevilmoto

That's not an ideal setup. The stepped cones like Rick posted or a solid axle are the tools to do it properly.

12. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Interesting as I seen hundreds of WSBK wheels at Laguna or at test sessions in Europe over the years and never noticed that. I do see the point though for the rider. And I remember seeing brand new wheels at Laguna that we had to send back to the team's truck to have them scuff the paint off the bead seat area because of the tire movement on the rim

13. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

It’s worked for me for 15 years... except Ducati’s of course....

14. metricdevilmoto

I'm not saying it doesn't work. I'm saying that there's more accurate methods.

15. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

I still need to get a set of dummy axles. I've been using the cones in a spare rear axle

16. iomfan

iomfan Well-Known Member

I'd like to purchase 2 sets of these.

17. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

I bought a set of those from RM Racing years ago and if he makes more of them I'll buy another set.....maybe two.

Why? Because they are just that good to have if you change tires on more than one bike.

18. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Rick, I asked you the measurements on those last year and promptly lost your reply. Seeing as how I seem to have a data retention problem, is there any chance you’re going to produce more? I’m in for at least 1 set..

19. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I’ll have to get some pricing figured out for some more. It’s been a number of years since I had those made.

iomfan likes this.
  20. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I'd be down for a set myself