1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

static balancing tires

Discussion in 'Tech' started by brl0301, May 28, 2017.

1. brl0301

brl0301 Well-Known Member

I have been mounting and balancing my own tires for about the last year on a nomar setup. The last two rears I have mounted have taken 3oz to balance. They are the same model and brand of tire . I balanced the wheel (carbon dymag) before putting the tire on and it took very minimal weight to balance. I also tried rotating the tire on the wheel and the light spot follows the mark on the tire regardless of where I put it I have not had any issues getting the front to balance with minimal weight. I guess my question is, is 3oz normal for a 200/55 tire, is there something wrong with the tire itself, or am I doing something wrong trying to balance it? Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

3 oz. is alot of weight, I've never seen close to that needed on anything and I run a shop, have mounted hundreds of tires. Something doesn't sound right. What brand of tire. ?

3. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

3 oz seems like a ton to me for a motorcycle tire, I'm usually putting 1/4 - 3/4oz. But I'm no expert... I had a trailer tire take 2.75 oz.

You're not putting weights counter to each other right? Are they all in one area?

Are you balancing with the cush drive installed? If so, take it off.

4. That's a lot. Like said above no Cush drive either.

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

if you have to put more than 44 grams to balance a wheel... something is wrong. Maybe you have bad bearings in the rear wheel? Maybe the bearings in your stand are bad?
    Not a fan of those delrin cones nomar provides for the axle.

6. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

And make sure your adjusters on your comes are opposite directions... Balance rim first then go from there..

sman234 and TurboBlew like this.
  7. brl0301

They are bridgestone rs10 tires. All of the weights are in the same spot. Tried balancing with and without the cush drive and it took the same ammount of weight either way. I also tried mounting the old tire (which took 2.5 oz) on another rim and it still took the same ammount of weight to balance.

The rim is close to perfectly balanced(within 1/8 oz) without any weights on it. Tried another tire on the rim and it balanced with 3/4oz. My only thought is that the wheel , by itsef, being so close to balanced doesnt allow any wiggle room to offset the "large" unbalance in the tire which could normally be lined up with the heavy spot on the wheel.

Do i ask for a warranty replacement or just live with it?

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I might just go with no weight on the rear if the wheel to start and see if you can feel any difference. Just make sure the bead is super clean and dry. Then paint/tape mark the tire/rim.

9. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

All the above. If you have the plastic cones, make sure you haven't stripped a lock screw and the cones are slipping. Also, make sure the cones are secure in the bearings - my early plastic cones don't fit some of the larger bearings well, if at all (notably GSXR's and KTM front)

I had to use 2.5 oz. for a R10 on a 2007 GSXR rear wheel. that's the most I've ever used, but that rim always took at least 1 oz for any tire.

10. edshank

edshank Active Member

I don't really understand the need for balancing the rim without the tire. Is this a common practice? Ive gotten good results by finding the heave spot on the the rim, lining it up with the light dot on the tire and balancing the whole thing. The heavy point on the the rim and the light dot on the tire tend to mostly cancel each other out. I don't understand the advantageto doing it the other way.

5axis and K51000 like this.
  11. Odilup

Odilup Well-Known Member

Balanced the wheel???

12. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

How bad is it out of balance? If it's not quickly spinning to the heavy spot I wouldn't even bother putting any weight on it in the first place.

13. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

ive got a rear wheel that usually takes 2-2.5oz. its the wheel, not the tire as the weights never move and only change by 0.5oz. it doesnt bother me one bit and ive never had an issue w/ it on track.

14. brl0301

I only balanced the rim to make sure it wasnt the rim causing the issue. If the rim itself had some imbalance, it would actually be helpful to offset the imbalance in the tire. As it is now the tire needs 3oz of weight opposite the light spot on the tire regardless of where on the wheel i mount the tire. Im going to try my luck getting a warranty replacement

Phl218 likes this.
  15. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Meh, we get it in the auto world too. Certain brand tires you just know you're going to throw a brick of weighs at them to get a good balance. *cough BFG *cough*

Phl218 and fastfreddie like this.
  16. edshank

edshank Active Member

Makes sense. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

17. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

What are you using to balance your wheel?

18. brl0301

Nomar static balancer that came with metal cones

19. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Do you have captured spacers?

20. brl0301

Ya, its a set if carbon fiber dymags that came with captured spacers