1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Standard Chain VS O-ring or X-ring

Discussion in 'Tech' started by dansvs, Dec 12, 2019.

1. dansvs

dansvs Active Member

Anyone use standard chains on their trackbike? Need two chain lengths for different gearing ratios.

2. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

I always thought road race bikes should NOT have o-ring chains. What I have heard is that the O-rings cause extra drag at high speeds and contribute to chain overheating. I have never read anything technical about it though.

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Ive been the rear tire guy at Daytona 200... never felt any appreciable heat, in the chain, after 15-20 laps.

4. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Unless its a pretty small bike I doubt it makes much difference (assuming your mortal). The only thing I use a non o ring on is the dirty bike and they are getting hard to find.

5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Used 415 non-Oring setup on my R3's, always made me laugh looking at them. Supposedly a Moto3 application, but looked more at home on bicycle. I never dyno'd back to back vs. the stock 520, but I recall someone did and it was worth .5 HP (not shabby on a 40 HP bike).
    I'm too lazy to try and keep one alive on a bigger bike- will stick with O/X rings and not worry about dirt/rain.

Shenanigans likes this.
  6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

the heat produced by rubber on lubed metal is likely a lot less than the heat produced by un-lubed metal on metal. I will never use a standard chain on a RR bike, esp one with >50HP.

aside from that, you probably won't save any $$ running a standard chain. ull need to replace it much more often.

7. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

For years I have only run the ERT chain on my R6's. Never had an issue, chain cost annually is just about the same as the ERV, being maybe 10% more. On my bike/s I can see 3-4whp additional on just the chain exchange, plus the acceleration difference is pretty huge. I replace the chains every weekend or 3 days, whichever comes first.

8. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I try to replace my ERV3 annually and feel bad about it. ive gone 2 years on them with no issue. thats ~15-25 days per year.

DID's chart says the ERT3 wears 7.5x faster than the ERV3. id bet u were changing the ERV3 way too often.
    https://didchain.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/2019-Chain-Spec-Sheet.pdf

9. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

10. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

It could be argued I change everything way too often, but they also never fail on me...

I would change the ERV every season, which is like a normal persons half season, or even a little less. The ERT I change as stated every weekend or 3 days, whichever comes first. 3 of the ERT's a season is the same for me as an ERV and I like the benefits. It's definitely not for everyone, especially when some people have a hard time lubing chains to begin with... lol

11. Really? Can find them even on amazon if needed.

12. KevinT707

KevinT707 Well-Known Member

I'll take your old chains then in that case!

Vstate60 likes this.
  13. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

MotoGP uses o rings.

K51000 likes this.
  14. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

O? o_O