1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

St. Mary's Georgia relocation

Discussion in 'General' started by r6fast, May 6, 2022.

1. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

Does anyone live in or near St. Mary's GA? I have a job offer and it's very enticing. Not a huge fan of the beach and it doesn't seem to be much mtn biking so those are the big downsides for me. Anyone live near it have any insight.

2. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

Cost of living is pretty good. Tracks are about an hour or so either direction as are Jax and Savannah.
    There is no topography within a few hours drive other than bridges.
    Hot as fuc$ in the summer, humid and every bug you see flying will try to eat or sting you.

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You aren't likely to have to worry about survival after a nuclear exchange.

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Basically a bland base town. While not ideal there is Ft Clinch, Hanna Park, Graham Swamp & Mala Compra in Palm Coast, & San Felasco in Gainesville are all within a 90 min drive. You could live in North Jax and have a 40 commute to cut drive times.

t11ravis, CBRRRRR999 and r6fast like this.
  5. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I lived there for several years. Pretty much everything said above is accurate. Some OK mountain biking around Jax but nothing too exciting. I spent a lot of my time in Fernadina and in Jacksonville so TurboBlew's suggestion makes a lot of sense.

r6fast likes this.
  6. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Buy a boat and learn to fish.

7. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

Isn't that kinda like learning to watch TV? :Poke:

sharkattack likes this.
  8. CBRRRRR999

Buy a boat and learn to spearfish. To many golfers and tennis players already.

9. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Not nearly as hot and humid as Houston, TX though. Frequent breezes off of the ocean. The coast of GA is the least affected by hurricanes you'll find on the Atlantic. I considered moving somewhere south of Savannah about 28 years ago. My favorite costal area to visit. I still wouldn't mind having a condo on St. Simons Island. Find somewhere to live that's not too close to a paper mill.

If you're there by the first week in June, you can ride some of the BRAG, into Brunswick. I'm planning to ride the entire week. https://www.brag.org/brag/#routes

Last edited: May 8, 2022
  10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

or buy some beer & a gopro... camp out at public boat ramps during morning & afternoon rushes... make meeellions off Youtube from the hilarious footage.

11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

My brother lived in Brunswick decades ago where he used to run the night shift at a chemical plant where they extracted various chemicals from ground-up southern pine tree stumps, and then they burned what was left to power the plant. That plant stunk up the whole town. It was worse than a paper mill.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  12. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

It’s better now. The scrubbers work much better.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  13. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

Condos on SSI are stupid $$ now, as is everything on the island and it’s getting that way in Brunswick.

14. CBRRRRR999

#thequalifiedcaptain
    Epic conehead shenanigans. I really do have friends on weekends where they take a poker table and some beverages down to the ramps in Jax for entertainment.

TurboBlew likes this.
  15. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

I’m in Brunswick. Been here nearly 15 years. There’s a lot to love here if you love what’s here. There’s a little mountain bike trail in Camden County put together by a good bike shop. There’s been some work on the Blythe Island Park trails to add some structure. We have a few dual sport/adventure bike guys around that like to ride (that includes me) if you like sandy stuff. We don’t have any really fast guys around since @sanee moved away… :D

r6fast and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  16. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

replace fast with slow :)

17. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Great area.....many friends in Jax, Kingsland / Kings Bay, and one in Darien.

Stumpy likes this.
  18. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Jacksonville isn't that far away for big city stuff. It's a small town with a military base. HOT in the summer and humid. I've been down there quite a few times but usually in conjunction with going to Cumberland Island or the Okefenokee swamp for hiking/camping/paddling.

If you enjoy the outdoors, the spring/winter/fall would be great. I know my friend in Jax does a decent amount of MTB stuff but he also heads to north GA or ATL when he really wants a fix but seems to be happy there. Ditto for ADV riding . But he was doing a lot of track days at Jennings as well, that was always close for him. Roebling isn't that far off as well.

Cumberland Island is one of my favorite places to visit in GA, but I refuse to go in the summer. Too many people, too many bugs and too hot. The rest of the time it's fantastic.

19. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

You know what they say. Vaporization beats starvation.

CBRRRRR999 and R Acree like this.
  20. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Big 10-4....you know its one of the first on the list. Mayport and NAS Jax are just a bonus!

I helped build Kings Bay back in the late 80's....x-ray'ing huge crane welds. Fun times.