1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Splitting Neutral

Discussion in 'General' started by Trunxgp1224, Jun 25, 2017.

1. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

My Best Guess

2. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Thanks for clarifying. When I first read that I was thinking maybe you were talking about some odd ball British sports car transmission from the 60s or 70s. I think my age is showing.

3. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

in the past I had an old dirt bike for a gf son, was N-1-2-3-4-5 shift pattern, was so confusing

Killswitch likes this.
  4. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I seem to remember a bike that had a circular shift pattern: N-1-2-3-4-5-N-1-2 etc.

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I remember that too. Can't remember any details other than grabbing the next gear put you in neutral and you damn well better not click up again!

6. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Circular shift. Oh so not a good idea!....

The pattern never was a law. If anything it was a intra-industry standard that was agreed upon.

Like (I believe Panther) said, downshifting down to a referenced stop (we're never really sure what gear we're in unless we hit an end) and grabbing a gasfull of neutral wouldn't be conducive to making the corner.....

7. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Couple of smallish Japanese urban bikes had that; idea was instead of having to downshift thru the box at lights to get to neutral, it was just one more shift from top. I think it also wound up in early Kawi G4TR trailies with the hi-lo gearbox. And the Bridgestone 175 twin had a lever on the countershaft cover that switched it from rotary shift 5 speed, to normal 6 speed.

8. condon66

condon66 Member well known

I was lost too and didn't bother to Google it.

9. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

Yep, H1s had neutral at the bottom too.

10. Pitdad42

Pitdad42 Well-Known Member

First bike I bought my son was a 50cc internet find, Chinese origin, same shift pattern. But I don't think he ever got past 3rd gear on it.

11. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

XR/CRF 50 and 70's have neutral at the bottom. I think that most, if not all, of the Honda's with auto clutches have neutral at the bottom.

12. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

All brands of shift atv's with a auto clutch are like that too.