1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spinal cord research

Discussion in 'General' started by YAM#849, Jun 11, 2002.

1. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

There is a lot of research going on out there, and I support it wholeheartedly. One of my teammates got hurt at Roebling in '95, and the paralysis couldn't be reversed at that time. But I'm sure they're getting closer and closer to a fix for spinal cord injuries. The sooner treatments are done after the injury, the better the chances of recovery.
    And pray for the docs who are treating Papa to be successful in all their efforts.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yup. I for one wholeheartedly supported and still support stem cell research for just this reason.

I still have the belief that one day Jay and Chris and the other friends that have spinal cord injuries will be walking again...

3. Charcoal-Pit-Racing

Charcoal-Pit-Racing Well-Known Member

On a related note, I am interested in the future of preventing or reducing these injuries.

To those ends I am conducting anecdotal research into motorcycle spinal injuries. I would personally like to hear from any of you who have someone close to you who experienced a spine injury while wearing a helmet. I'm interested in specific details when available. An example would be the particular vertebrae involved, the angle of the head during injury etc. Even if you do not have medical specifics, I would still be interested in hearing from you.

Thank You
    Rick
    [email protected]

4. James#306

James#306 Backmarker Extraordinaire

This months RRW has the results/analysis of the helmet survey they have been doing for a year.

Int-o-resting stuff...

5. John Ulrich

John Ulrich Well-Known Member

I'll probably catch hell for saying this, but it's one of my personal pet peeves and I wholeheartedly believe it:

If motorcyclists in general and the people and companies participating in motorcycle racing had raised 20% of the money they have given to cute children's charities over the past 20 years, we'd have a cure for spinal injuries now.

Everybody loves cute kids, their illnesses will draw donations from society at large. Motorcyclists need to help their own, because a paralyzed 30-year-old racer isn't as cute as a 5-year-old with a tumor and won't draw the same level of donations from society.

Let the flaming begin.

6. WERA

WERA Administrator

Hard to flame a man for stating the truth (not that it'll stop the regulars form trying though).

7. RoastedRumpTard

RoastedRumpTard Well-Known Member

Much better P.R. for the O.E.M.s then for them to help out the guys who have spent there lives riding their products.

Sorry but I have thought that for a lot of years.

Improves the image of the sport is what I believe. I don't believe it is their sole motivation but you know it is in there somewhere.

8. James#306

James#306 Backmarker Extraordinaire

Nothing to flame about, tis true. The problem is there are so many pots for all the things that kill and sicken people, heart disease, all sorts of cancers, AIDS, etc etc. And everyone thinks what ever their personally most important one is what should get the most $$$.

<wishful thinking>
    Just imagine what the TRILLIONS of dollars the countries of this world waste on "Defence" and fighting wars each year could accomplish...

9. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

keep up the fight

JU's words ring true. And I have to admit that I feel a little guilty about being complacent lately on this issue. When my teammate was the one hurt, I actively encouraged donations to this sort of thing for a long time. I have to admit that everday life can distract a person from a good cause. Then every time another racer gets hurt, the sense of urgency returns.
    Please, everyone help keep up the efforts toward this cause. Don't wait until its importance is raised in a painful way once again.

10. peterhaulintail469

peterhaulintail469 Orange-u Racing 469

mr. ulrich

certain parties put one leg over the gas tank and start the motor knowing the risks involved.....me included.

kids with birth defects, cancer, luekemia, AIDS, .....they are victims here dumb ass. That statement was plain retarded, i expect more from you. you wouldnt feel that way if Chris was in a wheel chair (BORN without mobility)winning the special olympics instead of being a fast pro, by the way I saw his finishes and think he is doing great on the Superbike AMA races. But that isnt the point here.

I know Lisa very well and have met Papa at the Summit NE Regional in April and have all kinds of empathy as he is really cool, i wish i could change things. I agree with mongo on the stem cell issue,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

get well papa, and lisa you know we all are praying for you to have strength and Papa to get throught this.

11. John Ulrich

John Ulrich Well-Known Member

I don't blame the kids, I don't wish them not to be helped. But everyone wants to help them, all I wish is for 20% of the money the motorcycle industry has sent away for cute kids would have instead gone toward helping the guys nobody else will help, paralyzed motorcycle racers.

For that, I'm a dumbass? At least I don't hide behind a fake post name like a coward.

12. grady anderson

grady anderson Well-Known Member

Interesting point JU. Why DO people use ficticious cover names to post on the BBS? It didn't occur to me that I needed to hide my identity to comment or state MHO. Certainly most folks are trying to be funny or clever but it makes you wonder ...... :confused:
    I have noticed a lot of posts being signed with real names at the end, so some folks aren't hiding behind their handle;)

13. mad brad

mad brad Guest

and THAT, as they say...............;)

14. Rich Around

Rich Around Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 11, 2002
  15. mad brad

mad brad Guest

um, how about legalizing medical research on convicted felons? seems to be the only TRUE way to pay back society. MHO

16. Richard Lesher

Richard Lesher Well-Known Member

know how, not money

Well, I don't think shifting money from cute little kids to spinal research will hasten spinal cures. I gather paralysis has been under study far longer than many other forms of modern aliments.

You could stuff a trillion dollars at something, but if you lack the skill or know how to discover it is only a $5 investment in a specific process or remedy then the point is moot.

All the gold in the world would not have saved some people 500 years ago in some instances of illnesses when all they had to do was scarf down some common mold (penicillin).

Last edited: Jun 11, 2002
  17. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Lets move back to the subject at hand shall we... :Puke:

Support stem cell research.

As always, posting under my sign in name, the truth is only a click away...

I really begin to worry with I become the voice of reason.....

Get well Papa

18. peterhaulintail469

peterhaulintail469 Orange-u Racing 469

Mr. Ulrich,

My name is Peter Lindquist #469, if you can't get my number and look me up then you are as ignorant as your post. Dumb ass. you have the air fence fund though, I admire that. Which I am guilty of not donating to, YET. Although, I felt safe at GNF's, thank you.

However, your statement was "hater-ish". You have more ears to talk to in the motorcycle industry than anyone on here since you get to do all the "new bike launch's, tell SUZUKI, YAMAHA, HONDA, KAWASAKI what's up and where to donate to TSR?

you might call me a coward, but i stand behind my convictions be it racial, religious, or personal emotions. I still think your statement was dumb, dumb ass. Write that in RRW, and I bet you will loose some subscriptions. Dont write dumb ass stuff if you cant take the heat, coward. It dont matter where the money is coming from those kids are still needy. I dont agree with Corporate America going ape-nuts over United Way, which they do at my job. My point is put your money where you want it, you probably have a bunch of it being an "Editor" and all..................

Honestly, charities of 9/11 have only passed out @ .40 on the dollar of the 2 billion donated? You can argue which charity is better all day. To say someone doesnt deserve it because "mainstream will donate anyway" is DUMB. I am off my soapbox now!:Puke:

19. mad brad

mad brad Guest

:rolleyes: i think i'm gonna :Puke:

petey, you are an idiot!!!

20. Richard Lesher

Richard Lesher Well-Known Member

This thread got lame really quick. I don't think Mr. Ulrich will respond to adolescence. It takes a more intelligent gauntlet to be thrown down.