1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speedy-E, need help with a raccoon

Discussion in 'General' started by intrcptrrdr, May 24, 2017.

1. intrcptrrdr

intrcptrrdr Well-Known Member

I found a raccoon in my yard today. It looks okay, no sign of rabies. It walks funny, like it got knocked in the head b a car.
    It is currently resting in a cage on the porch with water, apple, and grapes.

What I need is someone to come get it. The local wildlife folks will euthanise it if they come get it. I would like to avoid that.

Not you obviously, I live outside of the DC Metro area in West Virginia. Do you have any idea who I can call or contact to help this little guy?

Joe

2. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

3. G 97

G 97 Garth

Put it in your car and drive to a park area and release. You can only do so much. Give it the best chance and release in a wildlife area.

20170217_084026.jpg

4. intrcptrrdr

Beezer, thanks. I am finding out raccoons aren't very welcome at the local wildlife rehabs.

5. intrcptrrdr

G, If he was in better shape that is exactly what I would do. The Potomac River is just down the road from me. I am afraid he would be coyote bait if I let him loose now. The circle of life notwithstanding I like to give this little guy a chance at raiding someone else's trash cans.

6. G 97

G 97 Garth

Here's another. I've live trapped and release 17 coons in the past five years. I drive them a good 30 miles away so I think no repeats. I have a lot of bird feeders. Mature trees and a pond in suburban hell so It attracts them.

20160402_092722.jpg

7. G 97

G 97 Garth

Back yard. It's a little oasis in an otherwise typical suburban hell of houses. 20170520_162119.jpg

yokohama1 and Boman Forklift like this.
  8. intrcptrrdr

Shit, I'd come hang out your backyard...that is nice.

I live out side of suburbia, so technically I am living in his backyard.

Murcielago311 likes this.
  9. G 97

G 97 Garth

Thanks. Yeah I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on 23 acres so I can enjoy a little peace and quiet. :crackup:

10. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

You live in West Virginia? Duh. Eat it. :D

WVU class of 1993 grad here. You in Jefferson or Berkeley?

Edit- you're on the river and it's suburbia? What. The. Fuck. Happened to that part of WV?:eek:

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  11. intrcptrrdr

He'd make a better hat, not near enough meat on his bones to make a stew.

Berkeley.

Dits likes this.
  12. Dits

I'm amazed that it's now considered anything close to suburbs or D.C. I went to high school in Leesburg, VA when the population was 3,000 and we had a confederate soldier statue in the courtyard (I wonder if that's still there.)

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  13. intrcptrrdr

When I moved out here 14 years ago I had three neighbors. There have been in that time three housing developments built in a five mile radius. Stop lights. Strip malls. It is time for me to move further out and telework more.

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Are you sure it isn't sick? Distemper is big with raccoons.

15. intrcptrrdr

How could I tell? He is eating grapes and drinking water.

16. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Feed it Doritos :D

17. Dits

Pocahontas or Greenbrier

18. intrcptrrdr

Pocahontas.

19. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Raccoons are one of my favourite wild animals. I havent seen a single one since moving to a very rural area surrounded by farms,woods or river. Hell,ive even put food and trash outside to try and lure them in just to watch them. I just get ferel cats and skunks,which are really quite funny themselves especially when they decide its time for the cats to go......the annoying cats run like crazy when the skunks wander up from the woods.

20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I'm not certain but there's tons of info online