1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaking of aircraft...

Discussion in 'General' started by fastfreddie, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Lots of them are overweight. The FAA doesnt make it a point to weigh ultralights but if you flaunt your overweight ultralight on youtube theyll prob come after you.

ChemGuy likes this.
  2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/aviation-in...in-ultralight-flying/ultralight-manufacturers

https://www.pilotmall.com/blogs/news/best-ultralight-aircraft-for-the-money-2020

Some UL are kit built. As the FAA doesn't consider them "aircraft" by their definition they arent really "certified" like a real airplane might be (ie a Cessna, Piper, Boeing, etc). Some are factory built and ready to fly.

They will all look super light weight and ready to collapse ina slight breeze. They are like to keep weight down.

3. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Ultralight = no license. 254 lbs, needs a low stall speed, max cruise around 60 mph, 5 gals fuel max, single seat. Typically a belt driven prop, two stroke engine, sail cloth wings.

4. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I thought it looks like a really big RC Airplane that someone just climbed into. :eek:

ChemGuy likes this.
  5. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

Ultralites are pretty much death traps with wings. They do look fun though. The top speed has to be pretty low to be legal as well. Light sport is the newer regulation that lets some of these smaller planes fly. The Pipistrel Virus is one of the cooler light sports if you want to commute some where. I was talking to the owner of one and he was using it to fly to FL from DC, said it got better mileage than a Prius. The avionics that are legal for light sport are pretty cool and work nearly as well as the certificated G600/G750 packages that real planes can have.

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Was on the first link, did not see that page. I'll be checking those out.
    Was on the second link.
    Thank you.

Anyway to gauge an UL's airframe strength other than testing to destruction? :D Visually, I would think common sense might bear some indication but...does anyone know if any of them had an actual engineer going over the design? I can make something that flies based on fundamental principles tho' I have no certified education in that department, but that doesn't mean it'll handle well nor fall within any legal parameters governing the applicability of an UL designation.

7. fastfreddie

As are two wheels with 200HP engines that readily top 180mph. :D

Dragginass and Phl218 like this.
  8. fastfreddie

It's my understanding that a driver's license or some medical card in lieu of a driver's license is all the certification necessary to be legal. I wouldn't say this was a bucket item. It's more of a recreational interest, might even find one that floats.

9. ChemGuy

They are like a Piper Cub...just fast enough to kill you....:D

If you get a proven design from a reputable company you should be ok. Should...:D

Some people/companies also offer ballistic parachutes so if a wing falls off or something you dont die from that. You just float down and hop you dont go thru power lines or land in shark infested waters...:D

10. ChemGuy

Also if you want to fly but dont want the power flight, FAA hassle look at gliders. You can have some serious fun in those. Yous till need an FAA license but there are lots of clubs around so you dont need to own a glider. Fly the clubs. The license isnt as bad a powered flight license in terms of hours, cost and government ridiculous-ness.

https://www.ssa.org/WhereToFly

11. fastfreddie

Soaring, tho' very appealing, isn't something common in my area. I don't think we have the topography to support it.

12. fastfreddie

There will be due diligence on my part. I wouldn't be okay with dying at my own hands; I'm damn sure not gonna be okay with dying at the hands of another.

13. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Ultralights are not deathtraps with wings. If you respect the laws of physics and act accordingly with how you maintain and how you fly them you will be just fine. If you act like the aviation equivalent of a Shervin you will suffer the consequences. Having said that, if/when I acquire an aircraft I'll most likely equip it with a BRS.

I went to school and got my A&P so I've wanted to build my own airplane for many years and that's most likely what I'll do when I stop racing. I'm only 57 so that's probably not happening anytime soon. :D

wsmc 589 and Photo like this.
  14. ChemGuy

Here ya go...

ULTRALITE • $6,000 • CHECK THIS OUT • Z max always flown as ultra lite never registered ,beautiful airplane scottt casler 1/2 vw no damage history 6000.$ • Contact David Shirey , Owner - located China, MI United States • Telephone: 586 506 5889 • Posted August 24, 2020 • Show all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to a FriendEmail AdvertiserSave to WatchlistReport This AdView Larger Images

HUMMEL ULTRA CRUISER • $17,000 • AVAILABLE FOR SALE • Hummel ultra cruiser,one half vw.engine,all aluminum design,has approx,40hrs.electronic engine and altimeter gauges.aircraft located in Virginia. This plane fits in the ultra light class.far103, no license required. • Contact Richard Rohrer , Owner - located Hinton, VA United States • Telephone: 540-476-3366 • Posted August 22, 2020 • Show all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to a FriendEmail AdvertiserSave to WatchlistReport This AdView Larger Images

KOLB FIREFLY 103 ULTRALIGHT • $7,500 • CHECK THIS OUT • Kolb FireFly Part 103 Ultralight Aircraft. 447 Rotax, Wood prop, GRT Engine moniter,Hagar Wheels. More info "Kolb Aircraft" • Contact Don Keller , Owner - located Sylvania, OH United States • Telephone: 419-829-7713 • Posted August 22, 2020 • Show all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to a FriendEmail AdvertiserSave to WatchlistReport This AdView Larger Images

Plenty more on barnstormers.com

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I saw gliders when I flew to Van Sant.

16. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

[​IMG]

This is the only one I find interesting, but the answer is still no.

beechkingd likes this.
  17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Not only no, but hell no!

SteveThompson likes this.
  18. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Looks like a KTM prototype. :D

Banditracer likes this.
  19. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Hell yeah. That's cool. On floats would be even cooler. Would love something like that on floats when I retire and move north to hop between some of the backwoods trout lakes to fish from.

20. USracer900

USracer900 Well-Known Member

How about a Paraplane? Was talking to a kid who got certified in one, said they are the safest way to get in the air by far. Cheap too.