1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaking of aircraft...

Discussion in 'General' started by fastfreddie, Aug 24, 2020.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

What would be a cool sport light or whatever that doesn't require a license?
    No parawings, roto-whatevers and what not. Something with real controls and the upper limit of HP.

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Icon?

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Look up TEAM minimax.

I have the larger full VW powered plane. But some of the smaller models meet UL weight limits.

If you dont want a sport pilot lic. you need an ultralight.

https://www.facebook.com/TeamMiniMax/

4. ChemGuy

Still need Sport Pilot.

Ultralights need no license.

But please get some instruction. Just because they have small engines and are dont mean you cant Broome or kill yourself.

5. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Dan

what’s a realistic cost on a “good” ultralight?

Tks
    M

6. ChemGuy

Mark..I'm no UL expert but probably 5-10K for used with recent re-built engine.

To keep weight down most (all??) true UL's will fly behind a 2T engine. make sure there is a field nearby to land in.

If you fly UL long enough you will have an engine out.

7. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Copy, thanks!

8. fastfreddie

Damn that's ugly. Looks like a bush plane fucked a Bleriot.

What's it take to get a sport license?

9. ChemGuy

Lol.
    The other UL are the AL tube and Fabric...look like hang gliders.

Guesstimate....Sport pilot is maybe 5-8k most places.

How big a boy are you?

Light Sport planes are 'scale challenged' and if your bigger than about 200-220lbs they dont have much useful load before being overweight.

Getting a Private Pilots license is more money than sport...but its almost a must if you're Broome or god forbid Mongo sized.

10. fastfreddie

I'm big rider sized, 5'10"/170. :D

Does a sport license have upkeep requirements?

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Are you kidding me? That's used to be more than enough to get your private. :eek:

12. ChemGuy

You are their target audience then.

Yes a sport Pilot is a 'real' pilot license....you dont have to have an FAA medical though...only a valid drivers license.

The main things to do are....
    Every 2 years you have to meet and fly with an instructor as a check. Used to be called a BFR-Biannual Flight Review. Now just Flight Review...:rolleyes: Did mine this morning.
    You cant carry passengers unless you have made at least 3 landings in the previous 90 days.

More info here...
    https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/advocacy-briefs/frequently-asked-questions-about-sport-pilot

13. ChemGuy

I know......but inflation, she is a B^&*H

Most places quote about 8-12K for PPL...in the bigger cities = more expensive its 10-20K.

Most places use 172 and not 150/152 for training. Prices are $120-150/hr for 172.....40*135=$5400. Add in ~20hrs instructor at~$50/hr = $1,000
    Ground school - $500+

And the national average for PPL is about 60-hrs now with all the gadgets, gizmos, and airspace crap to learn.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You're not kidding about inflation! I did my multi/commercial/IFR training in fresh Seminoles at $145/hour. F*ck, I'm old!

15. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Damn. 10 years ago you could do your private for $4k.

BD6? BD17?

16. ChemGuy

I know right.
    I got mine right after the Army. I was 21 yo...flying from Tucson Intl. 150/152's were maybe $25-30/hr. 100LL was ~$1.25/gal. CFI was ~$15/hr. All of those have basically tripled since 1994.

If you want to go career route no at a Mom and Pop type flight schools (not 141 puppy mills) you are looking at 40-60-80k for PPL/build time/IA/build time/Comm/Multi/CFI...

17. fastfreddie

I'm gonna apologize for engaging y'all's enthusiasm...that sport license is too many hoops for this old dog.

So, ultralights. What's cool? :D

18. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Legal eagle would be on my short list. Half VW for power. Minimax also.

19. fastfreddie

I've been scopin' out ultralights, but some of them look too much like real aircraft that I'm hard-pressed to believe I won't need any certification. Are those "experimental", kits/homebuilt...?
    Back to the original question, what doesn't require a license?

20. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

None of them do. Unless you plan to fly them again.....Or be a free man. How long term are your plans to fly, or is this just a YOLO bucket list thing anyway........