1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spam calls

Discussion in 'General' started by GarrettRick, Jul 13, 2023.

1. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

What’s the best way to stop spam calls ? I’m on the do not call registry which I think is a scam in and of itself but it seems to be an uptick lately . I’m getting a dozen a day . Most of them I repost their numbers on Craigslist ads for free stuff or just sit with them on the phone asking dumbass questions to amuse myself

2. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I'm with Verizon and they catch most and show them as potential spam on the caller ID

3. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

My default ringtone is an mp3 of 30 seconds of silence.

If you're not in my contact list with a different ringtone my phone doesn't actually 'ring'.

Doesn’t help reduce the number of calls, nothing will do that, but it does make them slightly less annoying.

4. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

I bet 80% of mine are scams or trying to offer cash for my property.

I actually don’t get warranty car stuff anymore

5. OutOfSpec

OutOfSpec eccentric thousandaire

long story short: i dont think you can stop them, really. Most carriers do a decent job of sifting out garbage calls, most phones are good enough at showing the ones that get through as "potential spam". I think there are also 3rd party apps you can download to your phone to help spam calls, but ive no idea about their efficacy.

The do-not-call list works for telemarketers that need operate within legal bounds, for which there could actually be (maybe, lol) some repercussions to their employer. Scam callers aren't always based in the US in the first place, and they're also, you know, scams. They don't care about the DNC list.

Posting the number publicly somewhere doesn't necessarily do anything productive - a lot of spam calls are generated via number "spoofing", so the "number" calling you isn't the actual number of the spammer. Its also how a lot of spam calls appear to have the same area code & similar exchange to your number. (my guess is spammers know you're more likely to pickup a call from a random number if it's from somewhere you could know someone, as opposed to somewhere you definitely don't). It could just be the number of some other poor soul that you're directing a different kind of spam to. (if the spam call lists a call-back number in a voice mail, that's one that you can post for people to bother).

wasting their time is interesting... could be good way for scammers to drop you from their list if they know you'll just waste their time, could be that it only signals to scammers that the number is live and there is a real human at the other end to bother. (lets ignore that your time is probably worth more than theirs.) No joke, this could probably be some psychology grad student's whole dissertation work...

6. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

If it's not on the speed dial I don't answer, they can leave a message.

7. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

On an iPhone you can send any call not in your contact list straight to your voice mail, if you like. I turn it on and off as I feel the need to.

Spooner and BrentA like this.
  8. GarrettRick

Ya I get the potential spam ones and don’t answer but also get a lot that come thru undetected from local numbers . I generally answer my phone always since it’s my business and personal phone. I get alot of new numbers and they’re new customers so I can’t be filtering too much. When I’m driving or don’t have anything going on I’ll call them back non stop and practice selling them stuff in an Eastern euro accent . Then I’ll call back as a redneck etc … don’t f with bored truck drivers , I’ve got 800 miles a day to bother people and get even. :D Today I got manager who was clearly English speaking and very annoyed and told me he will personally take me off the call list . I had about 8 or 9 phone calls invested back into bothering them before I hit the final boss.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  9. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

This is precisely what I do. If it’s important, leave a message. Maybe I call back.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  10. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Post your cell number here; we can call all of the “Do Not Call” lists for you. You know, to help you out.

GarrettRick likes this.
  11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

You didn’t buy a triple crown website address a few years ago, “you know, to help John Ulrich out” did you? :D

t11ravis likes this.
  12. GarrettRick

is there a hilarious/ devious story here ?

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I was bored a few minutes ago.

Pick up, long pause . . . “Hello? May I speak with da’ homeowner?”
    “Speaking, what ‘cha got?”
    “I am wit (some company) and we are in your neighborhood doing duct cleaning. . .”
    “You’re cleaning ducks? Like mallards and shit. Do you also clean geese?”
    “Vat? No, ducts. AC ducts. We are cleaning ducts. . .”
    “Do you clean raccoons? I have a buddy that was driving through an alley and picked up a duck from outside a Chinese duck restaurant. . .”
    “No sir, we offer duct cleaning! You are confusing me!”
    “Simmer down Ghandi, you’re the one offering to clean my mallard.”

Sam is just looking at me during the conversation. :D

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, it was pretty good.

15. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

The inimitable @SpeedyE

SpeedyE likes this.
  16. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

You may not be able to stop them, but you can make money of ‘em.

It’s a hit of work but it does pay.

Nothing’s free, even for spam callers.

The other option is to threaten to kill whoever’s on the other end, tell them you copulated with their mom or insult their lack of a reliable clean water supply.

Either route is equally satisfying.

17. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Oh yes, I don’t remember the thread, but it was great!!

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Yes, but I couldn’t even remember John Ulrich’s name in here when I went to search for it. Nor could I remember the other parties name?

19. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Boman Forklift likes this.
  20. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

:Putter:
    That big ass heavy thing's feet, slapped on my hardwood floor...slap slap slap, walked like a Sumo wrestler. It was so big, both my dogs were scared of it, haha
    122820220_353309085954347_1231737823483520834_n_353309082621014.jpg

Sabre699 and auminer like this.