1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something old tools for the machinists

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Aug 7, 2012.

1. jackel151

jackel151 Well-Known Member

As far as machinist tools go thats just a drop in the bucket. The tool box is worth more then the tools. There are a couple of companys that still make wood machinist chest but they are not cheap. There is a market for these old wood boxes. Do you have the front cover? It normaly slides under the drawers when open.

2. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Not much there in terms of monetary value in today's working environment, but the sentimental value is the big one. Great little box, don't ever get rid of it.

I've got a quite a few tools from my grandparents, and great grandparents, but non of them were machinists. Most of my machinist tools, came from the old codgers who've retired, and taught me a thing or two before they did. The rest come from people in your situation who've been handed down a box, but they have no interest in keeping it. I like to give those old tools another chance to make money instead of heading to the scrap bin. Very rarely will I buy new.

I always wanted a nice wooden chest like that, but I don't want to buy one. One of these days I'll get my wood shop set back up, and build a nice fancy one.

3. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

DO NOT refinish that box! Kepp it looking just how it is, it gives it character.

I bought my Gerstner Journeymans chest from a guy at one of my customers about 15 years ago. He was retiring and asked if I wanted to buy it, because he liked my machining skills and didnt want any of the guys he worked with to have it. He received it as either a wedding gift or anniversary gift(cant remember anymore), so it is at least 40 years old, and maybe more.

It is in like new condition and now that I have it here at work, everyone that comes into the shop is drawn to it.

There is just something about an old wooden machinist box....

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That whole setup is amazingly cool.

5. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

I am seriously jealous.

6. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

The backstory is as priceless as the tools themselves.

Very cool.

7. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

:stupid:

Absolutely.

One of the most painful things I've done in my civilian career was watch as we threw piles of those tools into a roll-off because they were contaminated and had to be sent off for disposal. Several similar boxes and hundreds of old Starrets and other calipers. 10s or thousands of dollars worth in perfect condition and in original wood boxes.

8. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

search the u tube for antique metal shaper and you will see some mid - late 1800s machines still in action. I have seen a few old shapers in current shops, they come in handy for things like one-off internal keyways when broaching is not a option for whatever reason. Very old school but still usefull.

9. etemplet

etemplet Well-Known Member

It is not and indicator mount. :tut: And it is a surface gauge not a height gauge as I first stated. I used mine quite a bit (been a while though.... LOL). I'm sure there is a reason they called it a surface gauge. It came with a scribe type pointer and a clamp, I always used it for measuring height and when setting offsets for machining. The bottom has a very smooth machined finish and a V-groove. It is a precision tool.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  10. etemplet

THE BOX to have in the 1960s and 70's. Back when craftsmen took great pride in there work but, rookies could not have a box like that, you had to earn the right.... sort of. They would be quick to tell you, "better sell that box BOY or give it to somebody who knows how to use it." :up:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LJNKAW?ie=UTF8&tag=breadmakers-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B000LJNKAW

I agree with one of the posters. The tools really aren't worth much but hey, got some history behind them and as I mentioned, They are fairly practical and still in use today.

Back around 1977 one of the old guys (he was probably in his 60's back then) tried to sell me a hardly used Planer-Shaper gauge. My dad told me "Why is he selling it?" Becuase he doesn't use it". But dad, it' so pretty. LOL I didn't buy it and glad, I would have had little use of it.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  11. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Awesome tool box. My grandpaw was a machinist and had tons and tons of tools. Unfortunately Katrina claimed all of them :(

12. etemplet

Where did he work Dustin ?? I just retired from Chevron but I served my apprenticship in Downtown New Orleans. Machinists Local 37.... back in the day. LOL

13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

You mean like this?

[​IMG]

14. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Wow. Beautiful box. :up:

15. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Thanks. I feel very fortunate to have gotten one in such good shape. It literally only has one or two blemishes on it.

16. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Got one in my garage :) A 13" Prema.

17. colin96

colin96 Well-Known Member

This is an awesome thread!

My dad passed about 2 yrs ago, he was an artist/sculptor and was still producing up till he passed. When his widow was downsizing and going thru his shop, most of his equipment and tools went to me. They have become a special addition to my workshop, and to keep them in use means a lot to me.

His welding equipment stands waiting as a goal to achieve that skill.

Keep those tools and care for them as the person before did.

Yeah that box is Sweet!

18. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

Used to have one just like that. :(

19. My grandad's tools that I got from my Dad.

URL=http://s1096.photobucket.com/albums/g332/evh1evh1/?action=view&current=IMG_4662.jpg][​IMG][/URL]

URL=http://s1096.photobucket.com/albums/g332/evh1evh1/?action=view&current=IMG_4674.jpg][​IMG][/URL]

URL=http://s1096.photobucket.com/albums/g332/evh1evh1/?action=view&current=IMG_4683.jpg][​IMG][/URL]

The last image shows my Dad's nuts, bolts & misc parts bin he built; his vise table and the only thing I was allowed to use till I was "of age" - an anvil. "Here son, use this. At least I know you can't break this!"

Let's see some more of you guys' old tools...

Edit: Well, that didn't work out right - the image was supposed to be clickable to enlarge. I guess if you are interested enough you can copy/past the url into your browser.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012