1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something alive in the attic

Discussion in 'General' started by MR-MICROPHONE, Jul 12, 2010.

1. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

critters

if it was cold weather it probably wasn't bats. they usually hibernate in a cave during the winter months . could have been mice or a rat? did you have any decon ( poison mouse bait) sitting out? that would explain the order . raccons and squirrels are not hard to spot and they can do a lot of damage. b bill and darethea

2. barnacle bill

odor

that would be odor .

3. HondaGalToo

HondaGalToo Well-Known Member

If it is bats, as per Rutgers, when they come back at dusk to roost, flush them out with water. They won't come back. Then put screens over the louvers.

4. chaplain

chaplain MRO pulpit jockey

We had that problem two weeks ago. Turned out to be mice. We don't have a cat so we called an exterminator and he put out poison and we no longer hear from the mice.

In years past I have had a black snake to live in my attic and he took care of any critter that came up there. If not a black snake then a cat would take care of it.

5. greenguy

greenguy Well-Known Member

i've been dealing with critters. First i saw mouse shit. I set traps and they shit around the traps. I tried peanut butter, chocolate, and the stuff at the store as bait. I tried sticky traps. They shat on them too. I tried making my own rigg that involved a 5 gal bucket a trap door and some bait. Yea that didnt work either. I tried poison last and accepted that my place would stink for a while, but it got desperate. Poison didnt work. I can hear them running through the walls and sometimes in the attic.
    Then I saw baits flying up through my soffit into the attic. I used wired mesh to cover the gaps. Yea I probably traped one or two in my attic to dye, but Im pissed and I need to fix this ASAP. Guano is some unhealthy stuff. Exterminators wont deal with bats BTW. They are protected.

Im back to dealing with the mice and resorted to trying the snap traps again. I guess I have mice that have no interest in food

6. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

you're gonna have to go up there and check. if there's an old photo of you directly over where your bed would be below...you're f@cked. :eek:

i saw that movie paranormal activity. :eek::eek:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  7. wingnutks

wingnutks Well-Known Member

I have something in my garage loft. I had both my garage doors open till midnight on the 4th of July, it probably got in then. It sounds pretty big, and sounds like it is running back and forth along the eves of the house. I need to bring a havaheart trap up there.

8. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

First thing you need to do is grow a mullet, buy some punk rock wristbands, and then dress in all black with some skull and crossbones screen-printed on all your shit.

If you don't do that, I doubt you'll find squat.

9. Slowestrider

Slowestrider Well-Known Member

10. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

No point in mentioning the bats. Poor bastard will be seeing them soon enough.

:D

HST was the greatest...

11. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Burn the house down. That will get rid of them.

12. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

A most sensible solution. :D

13. Gonzo

Gonzo Maybe you should drive...

Ummm, yeah!

14. HAYSTACK

HAYSTACK UP YORN

somebody call billy..........

15. barnacle bill

birds

you'd be surprized how small a space a bird needs to get into a house or even come down a chimney. sometimes swallows will enter a house that way then can't find their way out. look at all the obvious entry points first . if you set a live trap be sure to check it daily. b bill and darthea

ps. don't burn the house down. it's probably against the law and the wife would be mad as hell

ps. hello Alexa queen of the north country. send some cooler air to the ohio valley today it's hot as hades here ( or nearly so)

16. Umbrella girl #1

Umbrella girl #1 Well-Known Member

You guys crack me up... Jeff: Bats do come in the house anytime they want. Have had them roosting in my daughters room and also in my living room haging from my logs in my house. They are SMALL like mice and can
    squeeze in to anything. JUST REMEMBER!!! YOU CAN NOT KILL THEM. They
    are a endangered species. The exterminator and critter people told us this
    and you can be fined alot of money. You got squirels. Some nights you here them rolling thier nuts across the floor, sounds like bowling for dollars. CALL THE EXTERMINATOR!!! Love YA!!!!:crackhead:

17. HAYSTACK

HAYSTACK UP YORN

I know what it is.....................chupacabra

18. MR-MICROPHONE

MR-MICROPHONE Breakin' the Law!!

I went up in the attic yesterday after work. Of course I found nothing. I have that blown in insulation up there and it is so thick that you can't see anything. The sound is that of scratching on the ceiling or wall so without literally raking away all of the insulation in that area I am not going to be able to see anything. What gets me is that I really have not heard the noise anywhere else in the house. The area where I do hear the noise is about where an air contioning flex tube runs across the ceiling. I wonder if that could be moving around a little? That just doesn't seem likely though and why after five years would that start happening?

I checked the roof vents from underneath and didn't really find anything that was blatantly obvious where something could get in. However, I did notice that there was a bit of a gap on a couple of them when I pushed up on them. Just doesn't seem likely that a small critter could push it up and get in, but I guess anything is possible. All of the eves look in good shape. No gaps that I saw. The area where I hear the noise is difficult to get to and I damn sure don't want to fall through the ceiling.

My daughter suggested cutting the wall open. I'm not sure I want to go hacking up the wall trying to find this thing, whatever it may be. I guess it might be a mouse. Could be a snake too for that matter. I have seen both around my house. I live right on the interstate and there is a dense wooded area separating my yard and the highway. Yes, there are plenty of critters in there I'm sure. Just don't want them in my house. I wouldn't be surprised if something is living in my garage too.

Maybe I should set up camp in the attic when it cools down a bit tonight and see if I can find something. Wish I had an infrared camera.

19. PEKENG

PEKENG Well-Known Member

I'd bet on mice.

The noise you described (scatching on the ceiling) is exactly what I heard this winter. I stood on the bed and practically had my ear against the ceiling while I knocked. This got what ever it was to move a little. So I had their location nailed down.

Crawled up in the attic, went to the spot and pulled back the batt insulation. No critter, but I cut see where the little bast*** had built a nice little nest, and left a few craps.

Had to be a mouse. Only heard it at night, during the winter months. Probably holed up in the attic at night, went outside looking for food during the day. I put traps up there but never caught anything. The noise just stopped - one of the neighborhood cats probably got it.