1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something alive in the attic

Discussion in 'General' started by MR-MICROPHONE, Jul 12, 2010.

1. MR-MICROPHONE

MR-MICROPHONE Breakin' the Law!!

I have some sort of critter in my attic. I have no idea really what it is or how it got in there. I actually had this issue a few months ago, hearing noises of something moving around up there. Noises stopped for a while but tonight I heard them again. Whatever it is seems to be scratching at the ceiling or I guess it could be stuck in the wall. And as luck would have it it's over my bedroom.

I looked around up there a few months ago but found nothing. Looked around again tonight just by shining a flashlight down toward the area where I hear the noise. Didn't see anything of course. Just knowing what it is might make me feel better.....I think. :p And knowing how the hell it got in there would make me feel even better.

Has anybody here ever had this issue before? What did you do about it? Any suggestions from others?

Thanks in advance.

2. chastain11

chastain11 Well-Known Member

Paging TUNA!

3. MR-MICROPHONE

4. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Bats more than likely.

I am dealing with them right now.

Is there a vent of any sort near that end of the house? A hip in the eaves where there might be a gap maybe? Anything like that. Keep in mind a bat only needs enough room to fit its head through the hole to get in....... so the hole could be the size of a nickle (but is likely larger)

Get a 6 pack, and get a lawn chair and watch your eaves around sun down. See if you see them coming out.

when you DO find them, you have to make a one way "gate" so they can get out, but not get back in. From what I read use a piece of screen. Fasten in on three sides around/over the hole, so they can crawl out from under it, but it sits flat once they are out. They are not smart enough to pick it back up and get back in.

5. Hutch

Hutch Member

Is it after dark?

In my house it turned out to be a raccoon (and it's family members).

Check the gable vents on your house. They pry them open and use the attic for sleeping/having babies.

6. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Oh, and if it IS bats, and you DO kill a 6pack watching to see where they come from........ wait until the next day to cover the hole :D

NOt a good idea to be scampering on your roof with a 6 pack in ya :p

7. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

You need the "Wolf Knife Laser Torch"....

8. fyyff

fyyff Well-Known Member

Sounds like squirrels. Check out your roofline and eaves for holes. I've gotten rid of them with a live trap and some peanut butter as bait. Then find out how the hell they got in there and seal it up. Or go the case of pbr, sawed off twelve gauge and roofing material route.

9. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Red Dragons :cool:

10. MR-MICROPHONE

Yes there is a vent at each end of the house at the peak, and probably about six or eight vents in the roof on the back side of the house, all lined up in a row. I can tell you that whoever the guy was who was installing the vent/boards on the roof and at the ends of the house was not particularly concerned about doing a good job. It looks like crap from underneath. Hacked up wood, only half of the vent actually visible, etc. That would have to be where something got in I'm guessing. I checked the eves a few months ago but everything looked OK. Haven't done the six pack night party yet though.

Hutch, yes I have only noticed it after dark but that's usually the only time I am home. I will have to take a closer look at the gable vents and such.

11. HAZE

HAZE Group Therapy

I had squirrels in my attic a few years ago. They got an eviction notice with my pellet gun one Saturday afternoon

12. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

It was easier for me. I only have one hip on my roof, and the sound in the attic was right around there, which is also where the front porch area is. So I just stood on the front porch as the sun went down, sure enough, the little bastards came flying out nearly running in to me on the way by.

13. RockRocks

RockRocks head goober

had the same thing. set traps in the attic. sure it was squirrels. they were clawing in my newborn son's bedroom wall, the bastards. We moved before my efforts produced a carcass to confirm my theory.

14. MR-MICROPHONE

I just went back in the room. All quiet right now. Damn this is gonna drive me crazy! :wow: :D
    So, I get the impression that it is not worth calling an exterminator just yet?

15. tunawest

tunawest Well-Known Member

I have never actually dealt with bats, but it could be. If it is bats, you will smell their shit (learned that from the crazy louisana dude on tv)

I have dealt with plenty of squirrels, and if it is a squirrel or some sort of rat, the best bet is either a snap trap, or a havahart.

Once you decide if its a rodent or bats, you can plan out what to do. If its a rodent, seal off all entry to the attic, and then place your traps, checking them everyday.

16. MR-MICROPHONE

I suspected that a few months ago whatever was up there had died because I was getting an odor. Actually it was still cold outside when this happened before so if something did die up there I am guessing since it was cooler the odor wasn't as bad. As hot as it is now though something dying up there now would not be very pretty I'm afraid. :tut:

17. tunawest

tunawest Well-Known Member

18. Hutch

Hutch Member

When I payed attention at night I could hear the raccoon climb up the gutter, walk across the roof, pry open the gable vent, and walk inside the crawl space. One night I heard it before I had gone to bed, jumped up and ran outside (it was snowing).

I shined the mag light at the gable vent and saw four heads looking out (mom and three babies). I hit them with a couple of snow balls and called a trapper - they stopped selling live traps here several years ago. He had them in less than a week. Apparently their favorite food is marshmallows and sardines, in that order.

They sleep hard during the day. Two of them didn't wake up until he shook the trap so hard they bounced around a few times. After waking up and looking at us, they curled right back up and went to sleep...

19. Had a field mouse in my attic last year. Tiny thing, but it sounded like a 25 lb dog when it ran around at night. A trap took care of the problem.

If you don't find evidence of larger animals, put a mouse trap (or two) in your attic.

20. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

Yup, had the same thing happen to me. Those little things sound much larger. I called an exterminator and his truck broke down the day he was supposed to come to the house. Our cat then took over and killed four little mice in the garage. Apparently they were coming and going from there. At least he didn't charge me as much as the exterminator would have. He just kept trying to bring decapitated mice in our house.

Lesson: Get a cat.

Or it could be the mysterious chupacabra in your attic.....