1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some Road Atlanta facts

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by Mongo, Sep 4, 2022.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sorry for the confusion, I'm talking about perception of people getting into it. Hell, we don't require warmers at all, not going to require a genset to run them.

2. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Aren't riders accountable for their pit crew/family when they do something? Shouldn't a team be held accountable when one of their riders/team members does something?

Same thing in my eyes.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

To an extent. I've never DQ'd a team for things their pit crew and family have done either.

4. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I agree it's not a necessity, but have you ever ridden on cold slicks?? Or seen people crash right away because their tire warmers didn't work or they forgot to plug them in or some other reason? I have, quite a few times. Sure it's not as unsafe as riding on slicks in the rain, but it's still pretty unsafe and pretty sketchy.

Everyone already has generators in their pits, but nevertheless, you wouldn't have to make it a requirement. Simply ALLOW people to use tire warmers during red flag stops if they want to. If you don't want cords across pit lane, then have them bring the bikes close to the walls just like we do in morning practice/qualifying. That seems to work just fine.

5. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

I am confident in my decisions, ability to make clear choices, weigh the risks and also consult my teammates. As we were prepared i had no issues restarting, if people went out and did something stupid it's on them but if we are competing and my choices are better I gain an advantage.

6. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

absolute bullshit. No way someone should be absolved of this kind of action that ruins everyone else's day.. even for 30 minutes. Insane. I hope WERA looks into this accordingly. IF the alleged actions he did are true.. (laying down to cause red flag then make excuses ON THE PODIUM for what is says was the problem)
    Edit: just saw an earlier post by Mongo saying as they gather info, the rider will be penalized.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
  7. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Lie with dogs you get fleas. They chose their teammate.

TLR67 and A. Barrister like this.
  8. LrS

LrS brain dead

How about just yank his license and be done with it?

drop likes this.
  9. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

download.jpeg

10. Blipstein

Blipstein Member

This really puts things in to perspective about being the one person that everyone looks at to make a decision that may affect so many peoples safety.

sheepofblue likes this.
  11. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Being there through it all as the situations unfolded and hearing the traffic on the radio I became convinced of one thing: Everyone at Road Atlanta, all the way from Race Control to the guys changing the liners in the trash cans, had a different opinion about what should be done. Any attempt to get everyone together for a powwow and vote would have been a fool's errand. There are times when a Senate works well and there are times when a monarchy is best suited to the needs of everyone. Heavy hangs the head that wears the crown.

Sean took a lot of factors into consideration before setting out his plan. It certainly wasn't the only one that could have worked, but it did work. Dude may be trying to destroy road racing but part of his master plan is throwing off suspicion occasionally by managing a tough situation elegantly. Downright fiendish when you think about it.

JJJerry, sheepofblue and mpusch like this.
  12. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Dude is a total bitch and extreme hazard to other riders on track if he legit laid down on the track. I feel I'm qualified to say that after running my bike out of gas after a 60 minute stint in T14 at the PittRace endurance, pushing it down to the armco barrier past T15 so it was out of an impact zone, then ran to the T19 corner worker station with my transponder so when Jim gave me the signal, I could run across the track, up the hill, and throw the transponder to a team mate so we could continue our relay race.

I was also directly behind the rider that impacted the corner worker (and passed away as a result) right after T6 at Road A several years ago. If he pulled that stunt and posed that risk to himself and every other racer on the grid...needs a ban from WERA and other race orgs should know of his actions as well.

Kyle Brosius and 50Joe like this.
  13. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

This is my perspective regarding tire warmers.

I race for fun but go fast enough on vintage bikes to mix it up and have fun racing. I travel to the track by myself and often come to the track with two bikes running two classes. Sometimes it's such a thrash I don't always get on the track for the next race or practice session with warm tires.

Cold tires are something you can work around. You just need to ride slower until they are warm and realize your bike may be looser. If you get passed you also must have the self control to wait on your tires to warm before you go for it.

We can't expect racing conditions to always be perfect.

14. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

This is my perspective regarding tire warmers.

I race for fun but go fast enough on vintage bikes to mix it up and have fun racing. I travel to the track by myself and often come to the track with two bikes running two classes. Sometimes it's such a thrash I don't always get on the track for the next race or practice session with warm tires.

Cold tires are something you can work around. You just need to ride slower until they are warm and realize your bike may be looser. If you get passed you also must have the self control to wait on your tires to warm before you go for it.

We can't expect racing conditions to always be perfect.

15. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I think you need to break this race down into events which put together resulted in the shit show... You had a red flag for a crash in turn 7 at a time when the LW teams on a 2 stop strategy were about to pit, putting them on hot pit with empty fuel tanks. You had rain come in during the red flag while everyone was on slicks on hot pit. You had teams relatively new to endurance which did not look in the rulebook prior to make a strategic decision that got them a penalty (not taking the green flag). Then finally, another red flag because of some idiot that decided to take a nap on the side of the track. From what I understand, race control gave the teams a siting lap? Were teams allowed to use warmers after the extended red flag?

16. drop

drop Well-Known Member

He don't allow tire warmers, tire changes, or fuel during red flags at all.

17. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

Not plugged in.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Expecting them to be warm and they aren't isn't the same as going out on known cold ones. I actually have ridden on cold slicks although it's been a while - and it was in winter on the street. Not my smartest move ever for sure.

Everyone do not already have gensets. Allowing biks close to the wall then allows for changes to be made and incessant bitching and videos and protests by the other teams. The current rules are the way they are due to input and experience trying other methods that basically failed miserably.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And I am glad YOU are confident in YOUR decisions. I however had 37 teams of varying experience and ability to worry about. If people go out and do something stupid it is not just on them. It is in large part on me and it absolutely would affect everyone.

sheepofblue, Blipstein and mpusch like this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Thanks George. I'm really not good at this destruction stuff evidently but I'll keep plugging away at it.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
    regularguy likes this.