1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some Road Atlanta facts

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by Mongo, Sep 4, 2022.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Since there seems to be a lot of bullshit about what happened yesterday here are some actual facts.

The first red flag was due to a bike in the middle of Turn 7.

While we were cleaning that up it started raining in the 5-7 area while still dry on the rest of the track - that is a situation that would call for a red flag even in endurance racing. The rain was not a consistent line that got the entire track wet quickly. If it had been the decision would have been easy to make.

Once it started raining on the front straight it stopped out in the back and started to dry. Same situation, half wet, half dry. You can't run slicks and not have major safety issues, can't run rains without the same.

Once the track was finally consistent and we had the broom hit the puddles we allowed the sighting lap and then tires changes for any teams that wanted to do so. The delay on the grid was due to a bike mechanical on the warmup lap on the back straight directly between two stations so we had to send the truck to clear it. Luckily it wasn't along delay and we got started after a second warm up lap.

The reason for the second red flag is a rider with a mechanical issue pulled off riders left around turn. Bike was up against the wall and the rider walked out into the track waving his arms, he then laid down on the track. Yes. I said ON the track. We obviously had to shut it down. We sent medical and the crash truck, once they were done it was less than the 30 minute time as per the rulebook so the race was done.

I know people are upset and I am as well. I'm pissed at mother nature and I'm not happy with the rider in the last red. I am however totally happy with the decision I made in delaying the restart following the first. It was not safe to put riders back out there prior to that point and like it or not that will always be the first thought in making any call. The racing itself is and must be secondary to that.

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I wasn't there and haven't been racing for a long time. Still, FWIW, I think you should know that WERA's active prioritization of safety has always been the reason I chose WERA over its competitors. Tough job you got there...
    Thank you for, yet again, taking the high road.
    :flag:

OldGuyOnBlu, Shenanigans and mpusch like this.
  3. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

No matter who it was, that's one dipshit of a rider.

Killswitch, LrS and MELK-MAN like this.
  4. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I had to reread that line a few different times to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding.

That's nucking futz.

mpusch likes this.
  5. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Hopefully the rider gets a nice ban for a couple weeks

LrS and R/T Performance like this.
  6. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

Surcharge for needlessly rolling medical and purposely causing delays

MELK-MAN likes this.
  7. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well, to clarify - there is a chance I misunderstood the corner worker at the time with all that was going on. Hence nothing being done yet and I will get clarification and exact details in writing later. Either way it was not a medical issue and should not have caused a red flag.

9. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

My riding stint got cut short big time, but that's racing. I knew WERA would make the appropriate calls. I'm not upset at all. I passed said rider as he was slow rolling on the far left between T7 and T9. He was still in motion but waving an arm. I simply thought he had a mechanical and was being safe and doing the right thing. Next time around I see him on the far left with the bike lying on the grass instead of lying against the wall and he was also lying down. I couldn't tell if he was lying on the grass or edge of the track. Red flag was already waving in T9 corner station when I passed the rider the second time. At the time I then thought maybe he had a coronary attack or other medical issue. It was very baffling to me but I simply pulled in and waited for the next call. I was not surprised the race was called complete since there really wasn't that much time left and the race started at 1:30PM versus 1:00 PM. Before we blast said rider who caused the last red flag, lets get the facts. Maybe he did have a medical issue. If not, flame away.

10. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Well, there ya have it from Mongo. My post was at the same time as his and I didn't know it was not medical.

11. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

There is a video of it on Facebook

MELK-MAN and mpusch like this.
  12. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

On the WERA page? Post a link man.

13. noles19

No in trackday junkies unleashed
    So can't link unless people are members

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Saw the video and got that part of it via radio, there was some static due to bike noise and such that has me wondering about the specific details - it doesn't change the call we had to make to get medical to him, just matter of degree on how stupid it was.

sbk1198 and noles19 like this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And no one wants to actually be a member there :eek:

50Joe likes this.
  16. noles19

Exactly :crackup:

17. noles19

Totally understand, the amount of stupidity is what I was curious if the video would help with.
    Personally if medical wasn't required and he laid beside a hot track he shouldn't be on the podium imo.

18. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Just show the vid of A.Yates floppin' onto the tarmac at VIR. That oughta cover it for the gawkers. :D

19. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

I ripped it off FB and uploaded myself since you can't directly upload.

To be clear, this isn't me or my clip.

20. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

That definitely deserves a WTF!