1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So what happened...

Discussion in 'General' started by Used2befast, Apr 19, 2023.

1. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I’m just not a fan of his and if it was team and it was motogp I wouldn’t hire him unless he came with a huge sponsorship bag of loot.

He comes across as toxic in my opinion.

3. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

That is not surprising, he didn't seem that fast or comfortable on it. What is surprising though is this

"Jarvis said Morbidelli is the team’s first choice and if he can keep the pace he showed in Argentina he will get a [contract] renewal."

Didn't see that coming. Perhaps Yamaha are scared they might not find anybody else that wants to ride it lol.

4. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I believe Gerloff was much closer to the top times when he got the last minute call up to ride MotoGP at Assen. That’s against all riders, not just test riders. It is surprising Toprak struggled. Probably a lot that is unsaid to the Toprak story. He seems like a good guy, but the whole Turkish thing with government support is odd.

5. Used2befast

As the only mfg with the inline 4, they are on borrowed podiums.

I don't expect a lot out of a rider who hops from a superbike chassis tailored to his style to a MotoGP machine that is struggling to manage a 10th place.

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Toxic how?

stk0308, Steeltoe and redtailracing like this.
  7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I don’t see a lot of his interviews but the few I’ve seen or read is usually him complaining about other riders, throwing someone on the team under the bus or just being a doodoo spewer.
    Yeah, maybe it’s a tiny percentage of his interviews or I’ve only seen the ones that leave him in a negative light but that’s what I’ve seen.
    He seems just like his mentor and I was no fan of Steppedinpoo.

8. Used2befast

So, how many have stepped over from superbike and had success in the modern MotoGP era? (last 20 years)

Some standouts are...Nicky H, T Bayliss, Colin E, ...

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Twenty years ago doesn’t matter. Even 10 years ago is worthless. It’s Moto3, time in moto 2 if you need tempering and then into the big bikes. I’d argue moto2 might be a detriment to the premier class.

I don’t see an American motogp rider at the point of the spear for 5 to 6 years at least.

Circacee likes this.
  10. Used2befast

I agree on Moto2...its a strange class with even stranger rules. Nothing really prepares you for a MotoGP ride. I think the speed is in your genes.

Nicky crossed over (not from 250's) and had success but the Honda was the class of the field then. MM cleaned up for years.

Jake Gagne might have a crack at it.

11. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Spies had motogp success from superbike. Petrucci kinda too (super stock, and many years building up to success).

12. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

Doodoo spewer. That's harsh.

13. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

there's 4 kinds of riders...

1) riders that complain about others and bitch about anything that doesn't make their day perfect
    2) riders that try to cram every sponsor and buzz word into every interview and say a whole lot of words without saying anything like robots
    3) riders who thank the lord and savior for anything and everything that ever happens to them ever (mostly just Americans)
    4) riders who think they walk on water and can't imagine anybody contributing anything to their success

pick your poison. :D

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Nicky? American Honda forced him to hrc and paid $$$$ but, it paid off in spades. :)
    Spies is a story that’s been told but if you don’t know it, ask papa.

and both were years, decades ago. . . They were freaks.

what freaks do you see now?

15. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Then there are the special ones that are all four of the above, like Cooper Webb.

Knotcher and Sweatypants like this.
  16. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

Let's see, people want to talk about how slow of a turd the M1 is for GP riders that have ridden it for years. But then question why a SBK rider isn't setting blistering lap times on it with just 2 outings on the thing?
    TR is very aware of the recent struggles of the GP bike and also is smart enuff not to step into the said pile o' poo that the Yamaha GP bike supposedly is.

418, Banditracer and stk0308 like this.
  17. Hondo

Hondo Well-Known Member

I’ve always wondered what makes a MotoGP bike so different. The engine, suspension, chassis, brakes, tires? All of the above?

18. Used2befast

I laughed when Marini was behind quarter pounders M1 by about 10 bike lengths and he caught him up like he was on a 600:crackup:see ya FQ :D

19. evomach

evomach Well-Known Member

Cal Crutchlow

20. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Didn't Cal come from WSS after a very short BSB career?