1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So much for stricter DUI laws in Arizona..

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by gothicbeast, Feb 10, 2011.

1. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I've known 3 people in DUI related auto deaths. They were all their own fault too. I've known another 10 that have totalled their vehicles. Their fault as well.

DUI laws didn't stop them. DUI laws didn't prevent shit.

Like I said before, we'll financially fucking destroy 100,000 people to "maybe" save 20 lives.

80 yr olds smashing through the front of supermarkets and killing people don't get these kind of fines, or blood tests. They don't have to go to support groups, and pay fines. They don't lose their job, wife, car, insurance or anything else. These guys can't even figure out which pedal is the brake.

16 yr olds texting while driving in new mustangs are what really scare me.

2. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

tony, you reckin' this one was drunk or texting?

3. tony 340

Could be neither.

3:45 p.m. likely not drunk, driving in a suburban, probably somebody of age. Somebody of age probably isn't texting, but you never know.

I don't know how you miss a big orange and black striped bus either.

When I see buses I get the hell past them quick as I can. Especially the city buses. Those are some dangerous drivers.

4. weber#465

weber#465 mud fight

So, what do you propose? Get rid of the law, or make the law unsympathetic enough to get the addict's attention?
    There used to be a lot more drunks out driving. Education and stricter laws have made it where there are less people driving while drunk….and shit.

Who facked-up the addict? It’s not as if they were forced to get a drink, toke, or text while trying to drive: they had a choice.

I agree totally. There needs to be more than a new picture and a money transaction to renew a driver’s license.

IMHO, 16 or 96 - the unintelligent selfish action of texting while driving knows no age.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M74j8LvX6k

5. sdg

sdg *

So you believe the law should be zero tolerance 0.000 BAL.

Whatever dude.

6. weber#465

weber#465 mud fight

Is .08 BAL for the race track too? Though, for some people, there is a bit for speed difference, why not tolerate drinking before racing? On the track everyone is supposed to be going the same direction, there aren’t supposed to any kids on skateboards, bicycles, loaded trucks, cars, other bikes, signs, lights, debris, etc… Should be safer, right?

Mongo should welcome it. To hear it from most: what would a few beers hurt?
    :beer:
    Should someone operating a class 8 truck be allowed to drive after a few beers?

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah because going to stupid extremes really helps your argument....

8. tony 340

I'm not sure what I'd propose, but obviously when everybody has 10 or 20 people they know with DUI's there is some kind of problem.

Not only that, I still every year hear of a friend of a friend type deal that got smashed into by the guy on his 7th dui. That tells me the DUI laws aren't preventing much anyhow.

It's a way to create jobs for people under the guise of "safety". You are never completely safe. A fucking asteroid might fly through my roof right now and take me out. Sometimes we need to chill out on the laws a bit is my opinion.

There's lots of times I'd like to have a beer with dinner, but I don't. Frankly it'd mean loss of a job, company truck, etc. so I just don't do it.

9. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

Orrr maybe people just left AZ.

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I know a lot of people much more responsible about drinking and driving than they were before the changes in the laws. So yes they DO prevent. Have they gone overboard? Perhaps.

11. b-sav

b-sav Well-Known Member

Tony,

I used to be the kind of person who always knew 10 or 20 people with DUI's. That was because I was hanging out in the bars around a bunch of drunks in the U.P. all the time. And guess what, they all bitched about drunk driving laws too. Of course they would, the cops were unfairly targeting their drunk asses, right? I have now grown up and moved away from that environment.

You will find that people who are not drinking in the bars and getting drunk every day have absolutely NO sympathy for anyone getting a DUI.

When I had my Class A CDL license in Michigan in the nineties, I remember the law said you couldn't have any alchohol in your system when driving the truck, even if it was less than 0.08. I see no problem with that, driving is a privledge, not a right. No one else has the right to put other peoples lives in danger because they are too cheap to buy a cab.

The twenty somethings who can't afford a cab argument is full of shit. If someone can afford to go to the bar, pay for three and four dollar beers, tip the waitress, buy food, etc, then they can pay for the cab home.

12. weber#465

weber#465 mud fight

Talking about stupid extremes - You’re the one a arguing with someone whose “logic if flawless” about the existence of god.:p

Zaklee. The police are reactive, but fear is proactive. You don’t want to lose what you value, so you fly straight. Laws don’t prevent people from doing what they think they can get away with, or feel that it’s worth it, even if they’re caught. Punishment of some wrongdoings aren’t strict enough, some are too firm.

Take speeding: Most people will speed a little. For as long as I have been driving, there’ve been reduced speed signs for construction. Until the doubling the fine, most people ignored the law. Now ‘most’ people slow down. The police can’t be everywhere, all of the time, but fear helps.

Tripling or quadrupling the fine for speeding in residential areas will have a self policing affect, but it won’t stop everyone from speeding.

Also, like someone said before, it shouldn’t be black or white. Punishment for a BA of .08 shouldn’t be the same as a .2, IMO.

13. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Soccer moms `round here all drive SUVs. The bigger the better. Rollin' down the road, texting with one hand, wavin' at the kids in the backseat with the other, balancin' a Star Bucks in their laps.

How do you 'not see' a bright yellow school bus, stopped, with the red flashers on and the stop signs folded out?

14. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Damned difficult to prove the cause of something that didn't happen.

15. tony 340

:crackup:

Soccer moms in 6K pound SUV's scare the shit out of me. Now they all have iPhones so they can watch video while texting and emailing at the same time.

I'm way more worried on my bike about being hit by some dumb texting bitch than a drunk guy.

16. weber#465

weber#465 mud fight

:stupid:

17. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

My suspensions were MC related when I was early twenties speeding, a few in car speeding. Had a underage suspension when I was 18 as well.

I dont hang out at bars, thats just asking for trouble.

My Zuma is my only streetbike these days. Its dangerous out there.

18. tony 340

Funny thing is that bikes are really safe if you're a good operator.

It's the crazy fucker pulling out in front of you that is dangerous.

19. exfix

exfix Well-Known Member

Do we really have to regulate dumb ass behavior. Shit-eventually it will be illegal to rip a harsh fart while driving.
    If your eyes tear up it is distracting.
    I find it disturbing that we regulate all the stupid shit you do while driving and the stupid shits STILL do it. When they make cell phones illegal Ill probably get whacked when I pull over to answer mine by some idiot who is on theirs.
    If your going to pull a 1.2 on the breathalizer while driving your going to do that no matter what the penalty. I still think stupid shits should be punished but dont make me jump through hoops to verify Im not one of them.

20. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

They will choose to financially destroy themselves. "We" have nothing to do with it, it is a personal choice.