1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, Lewis Hamilton wants to enter a MotoGP race

Discussion in 'General' started by sdiver, Apr 13, 2017.

1. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

I hate when people say someone else can't do something.

Who knows? Maybe they could, if given time to learn.

masshole likes this.
  2. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

You can't compete in the high jump

3. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Of course I can compete.

Can't win, but I can try.

panthercity and pscook like this.
  4. Phl218

Phl218 .

Motogp bike would feel slow to him. F1 cars are ~20s / lap faster that mgp.

Edit: example: silverstone: f1 -1:35; mgp-2:00

Cornerspeed is wicked crazy thanks to the downforce and tire patch...

I wouldn't say it's less work, but completely different.

Do it Lewis!!!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    throwdown and baconologist like this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why would anyone give him shit for wanting to enter a MotoGP? Wouldn't all of you if you could? He's not saying he'd kick ass at it. Hell, I don't even race and I'd want to ride a GP bike if I could.

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Not to take anything away from what he did but going from bikes to cars is probably a lot less difficult than the other way around.
    He would be competing against guys who have an extra 15 years of learning. I'm not very optimistic.
    In the footage I saw from last year, it looked like he was riding the "street" RCV.

7. throwdown

throwdown Well-Known Member

Yeah this place is special.

panthercity and Phl218 like this.
  8. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

throwdown, Gino230 and Phl218 like this.
  9. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

You can't menstruate. :moon:

10. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

how much time on SBKs did Schumi have before he set that lap? of course, he went on the race IDM and mostly finished DFL and hurt himself. i dont think ive seen Lewis even do a trackday.

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

He's ready.

G 97 likes this.
  12. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Schumi hadn't done a trackday at one point either. If Hamilton really has the desire to ride at a fast pace and doesn't have a limiting clause in his contract, I have no doubt he could get there quickly. Money, time, connections, already has the racer mindset and reactions.

13. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

He's a long time bike enthusiast. His dreams are similar to ours except he has a much better chance of actually making it happen. Maybe not race but at least ride. JLo drove an F1 car last year IIRC

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

There's nothing special about saying he wants to ride one. Thinking that he can race MotoGP with zero motorcycle racing experience at 32 is almost insulting to the people doing it for a living.

15. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Schumi was retired from F1 when he did the famed GP test, which was actually his 2nd time on a GP bike. Hamilton def doesnt have that amount of time right now. but he may one day.

just read this. Schumi was 15s off the pace on his first ride on a GP bike in 05' which was before he retired. thats kinda what id expect from Hamilton jumping on an M1 which minimal experience.

16. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

So what you're saying is he will finish ahead of both KTMs, Rabat, and Lowes? :D

badmoon692008, Phl218 and throwdown like this.
  17. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I don't think it's possible to say how anyone would react to a MotoGP bike until they're actually on one.

Remember when Elena Myers did her one-off Suzuki MotoGP demo? They had to put steel brakes on it because she couldn't deal with the carbon-ceramic wizardry that the GP bikes employ. I believe Ben Spies also said that the brakes were the biggest difference between WSBK and MotoGP, and the hardest thing to get used to. They're not exactly inexperienced on motorcycles, and for one to say it was "hard" to adapt, and the other to have the brakes swapped to steel, Lewis Hamilton would have his work cut out for him.

Likewise, I think there would be a huge mental barrier for a MotoGP rider to overcome when dealing with cornerspeeds that are dependent upon downforce.

18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Racing bikes fast is too risky for people unaccustomed to it. There's a reason why these guys go out on a bike and ride at 90%. They don't want to kill themselves. They have too many other things going on, and making too much money doing them to risk anything on a bike. Never gonna happen.

Unless your name is Cal Crutchlow. I can see Cal getting a ride in a Ferrari F1 car and putting that thing into the wall in 7th gear on his out lap :D

V5 Racer, mike-guy and Yzasserina like this.
  19. G 97

G 97 Garth

He started doing track days a few years befor he established his race team. Although his track days consisted of renting the entire track for a day and invite only. LOL

20. G 97

G 97 Garth

I get what your're saying. I say more power to him. At the same time he might want to start at the wera level and work his way up. No different then what you have said in the past about riders doing AMA Pro and actually getting slower. Sometimes it's better to know where you fit in and do that rather than making such a deep plunge. Or maybe he has this plan in mind - Starting out club racing and working his way up etc. In any event good on him for being a motorcyclist and wanting to race.