1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I bought the wife an elliptical....

Discussion in 'General' started by Spitz, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I buy the wife an elliptical that she's wanted for a while to replace a POS treadmill. We're talking logistics on where to put it 'cuz she like to watch tv while doing her thing. I says "it has wheels on the front and a big grab handle on the back to move it". Her reply had me rolling. " I don't want to move a big heavy piece of metal to workout!" :whoosh:

Well fuck me sideways, pretty sure a lot of people do that for that very reason!!

K51000, sharkattack, 418 and 2 others like this.
  2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

'Merica! F&*^ YEAH!

[​IMG]

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Don't worry. In a year you won't be able to find it after she's done stacking old clothes and boxed up decorations on it.

ToofPic, CRA_Fizzer, Newyork and 11 others like this.
  4. BigBird

BigBird blah

I refuse to buy exercise equipment for the house for the same reasons

Sent from my smatrfone

5. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Normally i'd agree, but she walks like 4 miles everyday in the summer and in the winter she doesn't go if it's too cold so she hustles the shit out of the treadmill.

6. We had a treadmill in our basement in Tennessee. Both I and my then-wife used it extensively until she shredded the cartilage in her right knee (due to genetics and excessive treadmill use). She insisted that we buy an elliptical trainer. Over five years she used it twice. Twice.

It gets better...

When we prepped to move to Europe in 2016, I sold the treadmill, and put the elliptical up for sale. She insisted that she didn't want to sell it, and that we should take it with us. She swore up and down that she would start to use it. So, I disassembled it and it was shipped along with the rest of our household goods.

It has now been sitting (in pieces) in her basement storage room for over two years. It's unsellable here because the display panel runs on US voltage, thus requiring a transformer to be used.

The ex is now talking about moving from her current place to a new place closer to my daughter's school. I can't wait to hear what she comes up with as a solution for the unused, unsellable, disassembled elliptical trainer.

MachineR1 and Phl218 like this.
  7. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

Similar story here. My wife wanted one for our new house where I’ve set up a mini gym in the basement. I poach the online classifieds until I find a really nice one barely used and for a decent price. I read that you should always go test them out second hand so I called the lady selling it and scheduled to go see it. Told my wife I’d be right back.

I get there and the elliptical is on the third floor and works great. I offer to buy it for half the asking price and she says, “Sure, but since I see your truck outside, and we are moving later this week, you have to leave with it tonight. But don’t worry my husband will be home soon and he can help you.” Husband shows up, “You sold it for what?” He’s now mad. “Well fine let’s get the damn thing out of here”.

Sears assembled it on the third floor. But he insisted we could get it down the stairs and through the halls without damaging it or the house. About halfway down, while he’s pinned to the now dented wall and I’m lifting what I can while encouraging him to reconsider taking it apart, (which we eventually did at the bottom of the stairs because it wouldn’t make the corner) he starts berating his portly wife about how he’s getting more exercise moving this piano of an elliptical out of the house than she ever did on it the five years they had it. Awkward!

When I finally got it home my wife starts to pitch me on putting it in the bedroom on our third floor. I gave her that ‘don’t play with me right now’ look and told her it goes in the basement where it belongs.

Three weeks ago I hung a towel on it to see how long it would stay there. Guess what...

burnham, MELK-MAN, BigBird and 3 others like this.
  8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

9. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

In your 3rd floor bedroom???

K51000 likes this.
  10. Does she want to race it?

Jesse, BigBird, Robin172 and 3 others like this.
  11. Inquizid

Oh no it lives in the basement next to my rowing machine and kettle bells where it belongs. No way was I about to lug that thing three flights up after the purchasing ordeal.

12. Inquizid

If that towel hangs there another three weeks it might go back online and into the future race fund. I should list it on the WERA classifieds.

13. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

I find the home treadmills unless they are $$$ don’t feel the same as the gym ones or simulate walking that well. Same with elypricals and probably the reason they don’t get used a lot. Same with stationary bycicles. The ones that have very little inertial weights in them suck to use.

14. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Remember when skiers were popular way back in the early 90's? Yea, well, the new wifey (then) wanted one bad so I was foolish enough to buy her one for Xmas. Well, we moved last yr and so it was time to start tossing basement garbage.....wanna know how pissed I was for having to carry out to the curb a brand new looking piece of equipment??? There is a LOT of truth to wasting money on exercise equipment!!!

So ask me what I bought her/us, secondhand a few months ago??? LOL! That max trainer......14 minutes YO!....That's all you need. :D

15. Inquizid

Top of the line NordicTrack here.
    Comes with factory spares.
    I’ll even help you load it. :D

Rebel635 likes this.
  16. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Funny. I was looking at used ellipticals last night. One of the ad's said something like "works great, like new. Will hold 2 large towels, or a couple shirts to dry" lol.

I'll probably just end up getting a road bike and a trainer for inside. Ellipticals always hurt my hips, and I've already got a drying rack in the laundry room.

I'd rather find a rowing machine. Always liked those better.

Phl218 likes this.
  17. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Great thread! My Nordic track got cannibalized for the steel tubing and the wooden slats ended up heating the house for about 10 minutes. That was actually more heat than was generated in 20 years through exercise.

Gino230 and K51000 like this.
  18. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

The missus hit 50 and we joined the senior center for a whopping $10 lifetime. 2 miles away from the house, right decent workout facilities.

I told her that if she ever went 5 times in a calendar month, I'd convert the 3rd bedroom into a home gym.

Today is her 59th. Still waiting.

Phl218 likes this.
  19. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

I just bought one and have enjoyed it. THe resale on this stuff is terrible though. Like .10 on the dollar. I sold my old treadmill for $20. Bascially gave it away just so somebody would come get it!

20. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Just go for a brisk walk. Lot less investment.

Sabre699 and Steeltoe like this.