1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, E85 conversion?

Discussion in 'General' started by SethG, Oct 13, 2012.

1. SethG

SethG Well-Known Member

Anyone thought about converting a bike to run E-85? Should be able to run monster compression and ignition advance.

Seems doable with the usual fuel injector and pump upgrades and a power commander to remap.

2. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

It was done. I remember a rider doing it a few years ago. Lots of posts about it.

3. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

Drag racers do it. Supposedly make just as much if not more power than many race fuels. However yes, many bikes need an upgraded fuel pump to pump the higher fuel needs and there aren't a lot (any?) of drop in fuel pump upgrades out there.

4. Nick_OMC

Nick_OMC Will crash your bike

Hmm, I thought this was going to be about cars/trucks. My truck can run on E85 which is a lot of fun with the added power it provides, but holy hell does it get shitty mileage. I'd continue to run it if the price were half or less that of gasoline.

However, this thread is about bikes. What would need to be converted in the fuel pump and lines? I know that the E85 is very corrosive to the rubber parts.

5. SethG

SethG Well-Known Member

Maybe different fuel lines and such but that's easy, fuel pump and injectors would be the big deal I'm guessing,

6. mdr14

mdr14 What?

If done correctly, can make some good horsepower with the cheapness of E85. Beats $30 a gallon for sure

7. SethG

SethG Well-Known Member

The fuel itself definitely makes a ton less power, so the power comes from running a more radical engine configuration (high compression, lots of ignition advance) that would be impossible to run on pump gas.

My main concern is temperature differences in burn and the in ability to control injection timing, which may matter since it vaporizes at a different rate.

8. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

It tends to run cooler.

9. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

E85 is used pretty widely in crate late model racing. It is normal to see a pretty fair increase in mid-range power with it(similar to methenol). Rumors are that some are mixing methanol and E85 and seeing a large increase in power...

The Fuel pump used in 90% of the bikes is the same one that is in a very large percentage of imported cars, I'm sure it is more than capable of moving enough fuel, the Strainer MAY be a different story.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  10. chadspaint

chadspaint Well-Known Member

Chip Roamer's 388 skater ran 198mph with that stuff. It smells different than anything i have smelled before (when it burns)

11. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

That's partially correct, you can get away with things like compression etc but saying it makes a ton less power is incorrect. Once you fuel correctly it makes plenty of power relative to race fuel let alone reg pump fuel. Like Turner said, lots of guys running it. The drag racers etc all run it around here.

12. SethG

SethG Well-Known Member

I just meant the fuel has less energy content, so you have to pump a lot more in to get the same power as normal gasoline. Hence the high consumption

So far sounds like not a lot of drawbacks.

13. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

I mistook you, sorry man :) Def a great way to make cheap power. Just up the main jet by about 10 sizes! Guy at work has a turbo Nissan running around 12:1 compression on E98. 2000cc injectors, yes, 2000. He still drives it to work sometimes too. Ridiculous car.

14. SethG

SethG Well-Known Member

I've got one of those too, not putting in the 2000cc injectors until Christmas though. And dual 450lph fuel pumps...