1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snap On, Matco, Blue Point?

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Tired of buying Craftsman, it's become junk. I'm in need of some metric hex bit long reach sockets, and I'd also like to start replacing my Craftsman stuff as it inevitably breaks with quality stuff. I'm not a pro, but have pretty frequent repair jobs for friends / word of mouth kinda stuff, in addition to my own projects. Point is, I use my tools daily and want quality stuff.

What's the skinny on the above three brands, for my use? I know Blue Point is Snap On's 'value' line, but beyond that I don't know too much. I don't mind spending more than Craftsman prices in order to get quality stuff, but again I'm not a full time mechanic so Matco / Snap On may be overkill.

What sayeth the beeb?

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Snap on, Mac or Matco, they are like the sex herpes, You'll have them forever.

I have some blue point stuf I stole from my brother. He's never asked for it back.

3. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I have Snap-On, MAC and some Matco/old Craftsman.

I'd go with Snap-On moving forward as I need and can afford. I'm pretty well set, so don't need to buy at the moment.

4. Scotty87

How do you like it though, Dave? Is it noticeably higher quality than the dog shit Craftsman is currently putting out, or would you say it's about the same? Or worse, even? :Puke:

5. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Depends on the tool. Blue Point stuff is often available more cheaply as another brand. Ratchets and screwdrivers - Snap-On. Pliers, cutters - Knipex. Wrenches don't usually break, so Craftsman is okay. I have broken Craftsman sockets usually by using them incorrectly, but I own a bunch of them and I'm pretty happy with them. Matco makes really nice toolboxes, but I never see a dealer, so I don't own many of their tools. They recently replaced a set of safety wire pliers that I sent in, no questions asked.

If you have the money to spend, Snap-On is pretty hard to beat.

6. Scotty87

That's pretty much where I'm at. The Snap On stuff seems a little harder to come by though. Specifically, right now I need a long reach 6mm hex bit socket. The Snap On site pretty much only brings up Blue Point, depending on how I word the search.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Don't have any new Craftsman stuff. The 40 year old stuff still works.

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

It's a set of metric sockets and some wrenches. It's okay but I don't make my living using them. I also have a bunch of proto stuff and it's about that quality maybe a touch less. Like OLD craftsman really.

When I steal his good stuff he always bitches and moans. Either he doesn't know I stole the stuff or he doesn't care.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Whoa..Wait. Hold the phone....there's more than one of you?

10. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

FAML6E

Here.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

'bout 7 of us plus cousins, kids and hanger ons.

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Ruh Roh

13. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

must.... not.... comment....

Damnit, How is snow white these days

14. Scotty87

Thanks!

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

and Bpro takes the lob and in with the dunk! :D

16. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Some old craftsman. Blue Point in the RV tool kit. Snap-On for the critical (small) stough. Just had to buy a shit-load of new drivers and sockets from SO since BMW changed fasteners on my R1200ST.

17. 675AV8R

675AV8R Jetski Extraordinaire

What Craftsman tools are you breaking? I've stuck with them and the only thing I can think of off the top of my head that's broken is a 1/4" drive ratchet and a couple of sockets that were used with a breaker bar and should have been impact sockets.

18. rraiderr

rraiderr Ron Jermey Jr

How do you non shop guys get your snap on stuff replaced as the trucks do not come to residences or deal with residential customers?

I even called Snap on corporate offices and that is their official policy.

19. Trinity Rx7

Trinity Rx7 Well-Known Member

Snap-On is the way to go, pricey but worth it. The Snap-on website can be tricky to find what you are looking for at first, but once you figure out how they group things its not so bad. Keep an eye out for a Snap-On truck running around town and get the number off the side. When you need something call and find a place to meet him to buy stuff. They keep lots of stuff in stock plus getting to know the tool man is good for for when you need an odd tool right now to finish a job.

20. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

They c*ckblock the truck at intersections.... they just buy what they need then and there...:D