1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smokers (Traeger)

Discussion in 'General' started by StaccatoFan, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

Rub:

½ cup brown sugar

2 tbsp sea salt

2 tbsp paprika

2 heaping tablespoons of onion powder

2 heaping tablespoons of garlic powder

2 heaping tablespoons of black pepper

1 heaping tablespoons of celery salt

1 tsp cayenne pepper – this can be adjusted according to how spicy you like your meat.

1 heaping teaspoon of cumin.

Cut it in half to do a good-sized shoulder. The whole thing will do two racks of ribs.

Smoker-wise, I love my large BGE. I'm not sure I could stomach buying a new one. I found a used one on Cl for $650 with a table. I thought that was pretty reasonable.

2. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

Getting my first smoke going on my Traeger, doing a pork shoulder. Do I need to use a bowl of water in there with the meat, or not?

3. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

No. I put mine in a disposable foil pan to catch the juices, but don't add anything to it. It's a long smoke. Like 15 hours at 225 for a 10lb. butt.

4. acorn27

Thanks. This is a smaller one for today, (maybe too small - 3 1/2 lb) so I'm planning anywhere from 6-8 hours.

Spang308 likes this.
  5. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

And I'm sure you've read, don't get freaked out when the thing gets stuck in the 160s. They enter a "stall" period that can last hours. Some people wrap them to speed through it, but you can just let it ride and it'll pop out the other side and continue cooking up to 205ish and then pull it.

prm, StaccatoFan and acorn27 like this.
  6. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I just follow the recipes in the Traeger app. Hasn’t let me down yet.

7. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

I have had a camp chef woodwind for about 2 years. Most of the commodity brands are all Chinese parts anyway (traeger, pot boss, camp chef, rec teq etc). If you step up to Yoder, make, Pitts n spitts that's another league.

I went with the camp chef because of the propane sidekick/sear box. You can smoke, then sear (legitimately at 900F) on the same unit. I find myself longing for more smoke, and no amount of smoke tubes help. I think I'm going to add a true offset to my arsenal now that I have the basics of smoking down. But for convenience, it's hard to beat a pellet

8. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

I've had a Traeger for a couple of years now. I've done several briskets, one thanksgiving turkey and other items on it and it has never disappointed. I guess I got lucky with build quality, but I do keep it covered when it's not in use.

9. acorn27

Well my first smoke, pork shoulder, went really well last night. Mustard and pork rub. About 8 hours on 225-250, got it up to 200-205 internal temp. Used foil for the last half, I saw the 'stall' and it pushed thru, finished up right around 5:15. Let it rest in a cooler for about 30 minutes and it just fell apart, pile it on some real Sheboygan hard rolls. Family loved it. Carrots, asparagus, homemade potato soup loaded w/ham & bacon, homemade bananna cake w/cream cheese frosting for dessert. Damn fine NYE meal.

Spang308 likes this.
  10. prm

prm Well-Known Member

^^^Sounds great!

11. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Does the Traeger Ranger ever go on sale?

12. DJ Baker

DJ Baker Well-Known Member

Pricing seems pretty fixed at $450. If you see it listed even slightly cheaper, there's probably S&H fees to be added. Keep and eye out for package deals with accessories (cover, griddle, drip pans, etc.) at hardware stores around holidays to make you feel a little better about it. FWIW, mine has proven to be worth every penny over the last couple years.

13. CRA_Fizzer

My neighbor had one when we were down in Arizona for the winter. Really nice unit. But why doesn't it have handles????

14. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

If you have a Costco near you, keep an eye out for the Traeger roadshow. I think I got mine for about $30 off and the Costco version comes with the cover and inverter included. They were also doing a sale on Meaters and pellets during the road show.

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  15. worthless

16. CRA_Fizzer

17. CRA_Fizzer

18. worthless

Yeah…I saw that before I bought it.
    I used the inverter and it works fine. I carry an extension cord on a reel when I use it away from home. No big deal.
    I can carry it in the bag by myself…no big deal.
    The 4# hopper doesn’t bother me. This isn’t my full time smoker…I primarily use it when I travel. The Trailhead is 45# vs Ranger at 60#.
    The keep warm 50 degrees higher doesn’t bother me. Again, it’s not my full time smoker.
    At the road show, I got it for $379 vs $399.

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  19. CRA_Fizzer

Can't wait to get my Ranger!!

worthless likes this.