1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smokers (Traeger)

Discussion in 'General' started by StaccatoFan, Sep 19, 2018.

1. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

That sounds awesome, I can’t wait to give brisket a try, love it!

2. prm

prm Well-Known Member

That Traeger has wifi so the built in probe connects straight to the app on your phone. You can change temp, manage profiles, set timers, or probe temp alerts directly from your phone. It’s very cool!

OldSwartout likes this.
  3. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Be careful with the probes and built in thermometers that are supplied with the smokers, they’re notoriously unreliable. Mine runs about 15 degrees cool when up against my ThermoWorks. The ThermoWorks is calibrated and I check it so I know that’s correct.

4. prm

prm Well-Known Member

The Traeger allows you to do a probe calibration and, if necessary, include an offset.

5. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I love me some smokers. I’m currently using a primo xl but am going to add a lone star grills insulated vertical cabinet or vertical offset.

Good friend of mine has a Yoder ys640 and if I was going pellet that’s what I’d get.

I need more smoking space!

6. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

That's a new one.

Lone Star Grillz? Friend has the 48' offset single door. Built like a brick house.

7. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

For longer cooks the pellet smokers are very appealing. I have a cheapo pitboss kamado-style smoker, it is hard to keep a constant temp for more than 3-4hrs. I did a brisket once and it was a massive PITA (tinkering all day) to keep it on track. At the moment, ribs for lunch are the limit of what I am willing to cook and when it needs to start.

8. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

See if you can track down a Flame Boss or similar temp controller with a fan. It will keep your pit at whatever temp you select. Mine has a probe for meat and pit. You can set it to shut down when the meat temp get to what's programmed. They have newer wifi ones with apps that link to your phone, but a basic one takes the pain in the ass of babysitting the temp out of play for longer or overnight smokes. I'd never do a pork butt or brisket length smoke without one.

RichB likes this.
  9. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

Just from my experience...I've had two electric pellet smokers. I bought a Camp Chef off of Amazon and it was a shit show trying to get them to help with warranty. My Traeger I bought a couple of years after from Home Depot (knock on wood), I've never had an issue with it that Traeger wouldn't step up and handle swiftly. The Camp Chef people were nice and the two smokers are virtually the same but I'll never buy another brand just because of the service I've received from them.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  10. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Yep. Buddy of mine had some issues when he upgraded to a larger Traeger last year. They ended up sending him a whole new one after the first try didn’t fix the problem

And yes @dsapsis we trimmed the unnecessary fat off a briscuit. I hope that’s ok for you.

11. dsapsis

woooshy. You sure those 40k towns teach good readin' and writin'?

12. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Who has a 48 foot grille? That single offset door must be heavy af:)

Knotcher likes this.
  13. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

My buddy has a rec tec that stays outside uncovered all year and he uses weekly for about 3 years now with zero issues.

Build quality is pretty nice

14. Knotcher

Yeah. Grillz. They are built to very high standards it seems.

15. dsapsis

Yeah my mistake there. Even at 1:12 scale that door needs a counterweight. Looks like an air wing.:beer:

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Do a basic pork butt first, hard to screw up and will make you want to do more :D

Get some good thermometers - I really like everything I've bought from Thermoworks - https://www.thermoworks.com/shop/by-activity/bbq-grilling/ Next time I do turkey day I'm going to upgrade to the smoke x4 from the x2 but two probes is the minimum you want, one for the smoker (built in thermometers are never correct) and one for the food. The remotes for them rock so you don't have to stay with the smoker the entire time.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Looked at em and prefer the setup on the Blackstone better.

acorn27 likes this.
  18. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

This. You can't screw up a butt. Grab one at the store, trim the skin and fat off it, coat it in whatever rub you like and flop it on the smoker at 225 or so. Get the internal temp of the meat up to 205ish and pull it off and shred it.
    I make my own rub and rub the butt with yellow mustard before applying the seasoning.

acorn27 likes this.
  19. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

Plain yellow mustard is a great binder. Get some Meat Church rubs, the Honey Hog Hot is a particular favorite of mine currently. So much you can do on the pellet smokers once you get comfortable. Pulled Pork as stated is an easy place to start. Reverse sear some steaks or porkchops. Chicken wings are fantastic. Braise some pork or beef roasts to make carnitas. Bake bread with it. Get a pizza attachment (search amazon for one that fits your model) and make bomb-ass wood-fired pizza.

acorn27 likes this.
  20. Knotcher

Get a trompo from trompo king and make al pastor.

DF8EEBCC-C08A-4713-AA3D-EB4FF07CE322.jpeg