1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smart TVs?

Discussion in 'General' started by PistolPete, Jan 1, 2020.

1. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

I need a couple of new TVs. A small one for the RV, and maybe 50” to replace the one that blew out of the house in Abaco. I had a “smart” tv there, which means to me that it was wireless and I could watch Netflix or the YouTubes. What’s the diff between Smart, Roku, Fire, etc.

2. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Nothing really, Roku, Fire etc are external devices you connect to the TV to stream, Smart TV just has that functionality built-in.

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. You need a 75” OLED.

That is all.

Senna, TurboBlew and Sabre699 like this.
  4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

"Broome and need" is an oxymoron.

HNY Chris.

Funkm05 and Gorilla George like this.
  5. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

just bought a tcl roku tv this morning 55" for $379. They had the 299 ones that were a year old but I was like this one here is fine and then donated $10 to st Jude when they asked.

I can stream ESPN, Hulu, Disney plus, amazon prime, Netflix and HBO all via the TV rather than having an Apple TV or external roku device.

Picture looks good enough and will be fun watching Auburn vs the golden gophers in 30 minutes

The Bose sound bar they had on display with the Sub sounded awesome.... that'll be next.

6. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Not always ... a Roku TV is a smart TV that has the Roku OS built-in.

If all you plan to do is stream, and like the Roku interface, these TVs are fine.

Steak Travis likes this.
  7. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Ok Mr Pendantic. :D

8. PistolPete

So, without trying them all, does a Smart give me what I need, or does Roku do something better?
    And sorry George, 75” is going to require serious remodeling of both the house and the RV, so not right now...

9. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Yes
    No

10. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

+1 on the TCL Roku TVs - they're tremendous value.

11. SVandST

SVandST Well-Known Member

Buy whatever tv you like, then buy a Roku stick.

12. PistolPete

Why buy a Roku stick? If it’s better, I can get a Roku TV?

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

14. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

+2/3/? on the tcl. I've got the cheaper 4 series 55" with no complaints. Picture is great, especially my kids PS4 Pro. Costco had the 55" for $289 last I saw. 50" was $219 I think. Way more stable than my 2 fire stick equipped tvs for steaming and a better navigation.

Jeff McKinney likes this.
  15. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

16. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

My friend who owns an AV store advises simply buying the best screen you can get and then an external box like Roku, Apple TV or whatever. His reasoning is that the internally built one can be buggy and seldom updated. So when the next generation comes out, you are stuck with whatever is built into it. Versus the boxes are cheap and whenever new tech comes out you either upgrade it or just buy a new one without having to toss the screen. Obviously doesn't look as pretty from a wiring perspective, but I bought a mount that put my roku behind the TV and cleaned everything up front nicely.

CRA_Fizzer, R Acree and Rebel635 like this.
  17. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

I use my “ancient” 8 year old 55” LG like this. Fire stick behind the tv and I now stream Amazon, Netflix, YouTube, Plex media server. Does everything I need.

That thing has never had a traditional cable service plugged into it.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Got a TCL-Roku for the RV, works great as a TV for over the air stuff and streams well when I'm near wifi. It was cheaper than any of the other screens that size without the Roku bits too.

19. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I bought a 40inch TCL off Amazon I use for my Zwift visual interface. Full disclosure, I use an Apple TV (current generation) for the Zwift connection.

It's a nice crisp picture for the $200ish I paid for it.

I may add one to the master bedroom space in my 5th wheel later this year.