1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small batteries

Discussion in 'General' started by fastfreddie, Mar 6, 2018.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I want room for other electronics in the subframe tray.

Shorai/Ballistic - basically an OEM battery, minus the weight.

Who are the other players in the lightweight market?
    Is there no "small" part to these new-fangled lightweight batteries?

Who makes the smallest, lightweight, non-POS batteries capable of residing in a motorcycle's charging system?

2. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

MOTY?

3. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

backbone likes this.
  4. The other players are irrelevant.

Ballistic.

That is all.

MELK-MAN, notbostrom and noles19 like this.
  5. fastfreddie

The WPS is basically the same size as my OEM YTZ7.

MOTY...thanks. I think I'm looking for that style if that's what it takes to go small, but I'm not too keen on the shrink-wrapped "case".

Ballistic has a 4 cell...not sure it can't start an inline 1000cc, not sure it can. Anyone know for sure? Trackbike only.
    Going to an 8 cell gives me surety that it will start a 1000, but it takes up the same space as the OEM.

6. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

They have other models/sizes.

backbone likes this.
  7. You will struggle with a 4 cell in a Liter bike. It is possible, but you will need perfect conditions...and better hope it doesn't get cold.

8. BTW - I have also had great success with Full Spectrum batteries.

9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

A Ballistic 8 cell is not the same size as OEM. It's substantially smaller. Unless they've majorly changed something since I bought mine.

stk0308 likes this.
  10. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

I had a bad experience with ballistic batteries. It may have been a dud but it was super cold out and it couldn't start the bike. I ran it completely empty trying to do so and it wouldn't recharge. Bought a Anti-Gravity battery and haven't had a problem. I also like the geometry of the 4cell antigravity vs the ballistic.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Weird since usually the attempt to start warms them up and then they work. There's also no real way to run it so empty using it that it won't take a charge (at least with every type of lithium battery I've ever had) so could have just been a bad one altogether.

Did you get in touch to get it swapped out?

12. :stupid:

I ran the same 4-cell Ballistic in my 675 for 5 years...and never once had a problem. When it was super cold (near freezing), I would just press the starter for a lil while, then give it 30-60sec. Pressing the starter would "energize" it, then when I tried it again it would usually start. Sometimes I might have to do it a 2nd time, but not usually.

...and I never once put it on a Battery Tender. It would sit there not doing shit all winter, still on the bike. Then at the Tally opener, even when it was real cold, I would just have to give it that first bump to wake it up, and after that it worked fine.

13. zstylem86

zstylem86 Well-Known Member

this is a battery i haven't heard discussed in a while. back in 2007 I purchased a lithium 4 cell battery from Moty for dirt cheap for my gsxr600 with quick disconnects. i never used a charger/tender and would take the battery out after trackdays (stored indoors). i used this battery for 6 years WITHOUT a single issue. I sold the gsxr600 to my friend and he had it for another 3 years until it finally died 2 seasons ago. probably one of the best purchases i've made. prices now seem to be inline with competitors, so not much to be saved...but it was a great product.

14. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Ballistic has two battery lines. The EVO 3 batteries are setup to mimic the size and shape of common power sports lead Acid batteries for drop in installs that provide a nice weight savings.

EVO 2 batteries are designed to be as compact as possible while still being in a solid casing, so you get both weight and space savings. Make sure you're looking at EVO 2 batts when going for the smallest footprint. For the record my EVO 2 8 cell is 6 years old now, gets abused with Battery Tenders between races on a total loss bike, nothing over the winter and is still kicking. It's now got a somewhat easier life on my R6 with a working charging system.

15. Cajun Kid

Cajun Kid Well-Known Member

While a 4cell could start a 1000 a couple of times it will not do it for long. 8cell EVO 2 is the smallest lightest option we offer. the measurements are below.

4.5"(L) x 2.5"(w) x 4.25"(h)

Gorilla George likes this.
  16. mike-guy

No in all fairness I don't believe that they are a bad company or even that their product is poor, I just personally have a bad experience. I have got a dud Optima yellow top, they replaced it for free and that one has lasted 10ish years.

17. fastfreddie

OEM = 2.7-ish x 4.125 x 4.375
    Shorai's smallest (no 4 cells) = 2.28 x 3.5 x 4.45, half inch thinner, one inch shorter.
    Ballistic's smallest 8 cell = 2.8 x 4.2 x 4.5, it's a wash. EVO2 or 3, doesn't matter.
    WPS's smallest = same approximate dimensions as the three above.

So Broome says it's gotta be perfect conditions, but ran a 4 cell on a 675 for 5 years...and never once had a problem! I really don't see that being much different than an inline 1000. I'd be more concerned about tryin' to start a big single.

My historical useage is as follows:
    Start bike, ride for twenty-thirty minutes, stop for 40-60 minutes. Repeat 5-6 times a day, 2-5 days in a row, 25 +/- days a year.
    What won't a 4 cell do in this scenario for the next 5 years or so?

18. Benmont

Benmont Well-Known Member

Ive had 2 ballistic battery failures. Stay away from them. Also they only have a 1 year warranty that should tell you something right there. Ive had zero problems with my 2 shorais.

19. mike-guy

Did you ever contact Ballistic?

20. duc995

duc995 Yep…