1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SM510R -- "competitive" in which classes?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by trancework, Mar 6, 2011.

1. trancework

trancework It's always now...

I have an SM510R fully prepped and ready to go. From the rules, it can run:

CLUBMAN, D Superbike/Superstock, LWT, and F2 and the corresponding Solos.

In which of these classes is it actually going to be competitive, and does anyone have any insight to running it with taller gearing? I see that Motostrano has 37-51 rear sprockets for it. Currently I have the stock 42. And for guys running a bunch of different gearings, are you just lengthening the chain adjusters or breaking and swapping chains between gearing changes?

Thanks for any help and advice with this, I'm trying to decide whether to pick up an used SV to run LWT or whether it'd be redundant because the 510 can keep up if I just get the needed skills.

[FWIW, I searched the beeb and saw tons of KTM vs. Ape vs. Husky motard threads, but didn't see these specific questions asked.]

2. trancework

Called Joe at MotoStrano. He recommened that up to three-teeth-down you shouldn't need to drop links. Also, I ordered two additional rear sprockets: a 39 and a 40--to go with the stock 42.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Clubman is the most competitive for it then up to D then up to LWT. Gearing is subjective so hopefully someone who has run the same bike will respond.

4. trancework

Thanks Mongo! Gears should be here in week or so, going to try the 39 if I can make it to Roebling. Just hope the engine doesn't explode.

5. GSVR 946

GSVR 946 Banned

I personally am not a fan of the 510 in lwt...the SV's will run away from you. the only weapon I've seen against the SV's is the 550sxv...

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's competitive in Clubman and D, LWT is just for fun and more track time.

7. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

I road one last year in DSS DSB and Clubman. Damn fun bike and can be competitive as long as you dont weigh more than the bike :D

8. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

I'm running mine in D Superstock, here in the Mid-central, it would be fun to see another one out there. I found I needed a sprocket change even at a short track like Tally just to reach the top end.

If you just want to run a fun bike go for it, but you aren't going to light the world on fire with it until your skills obviously outweigh others. It's also a whole other animal than a sportbike so your body language will be different, for example you'll drag toe before knee until you get comfortable. Even as a simplistic single it's still an exotic bike so know that you will be wrenching alot.

9. fzr400tony

fzr400tony can't ride

Just curious, just peg sliders do you use? I think I was told Yamaha sliders will work, they were not even close.

10. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

None, mine was lowered and still didn't need them.

11. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

When you get to Roebling, get with Ed Lato. He races a 450SMR and has experimented quite a bit with the gearing. He can show you a trick or two with the oil to keep it from blowing up. He learned that the hard way after blowing his up at Road Atlanta.

He's the little Asian dude with the KTM... white plate #228.

12. trancework

Sweet, thanks Dits!!! I will definitely say HI and ask! Sorry to hear he went through an engine, though! :beer:

13. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

As stated, Clubman D SBK F2 and lwts if you want to spend more money. If the bike is street legal, I strongly suggest D SS. Gearing needs to be as tall as you can get. I ran 17/38 on my 690 SMC. Oil changes after every race with a high quality oil and K&N filters. As far as tyres I suggest a super soft or soft front and a medium or soft rear in DOTs. If you are just starting out I used DOTs with mostly a street biased, then moved to race DOTs. If you have spoked wheels with tubes, bring extra tubes. I raced motards since 2004 so ask away.

14. Inquizid

Paging Ed Lato!

You are needed stat in the newbie section:clap:

About sliding toe, it's just takes different foot placement habits to remedy...I was always told to keep my heel on the peg for rear brake access....but quickly learned not to do so when on this thing as it sits too standard for that, unlike how a sport bike with rearsets allows you to keep the heel in place.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  15. brand-o

brand-o Well-Known Member

Bumping an old thread. :)

I plan to take my 510smr to Barber. Does anyone know what this mystical "oil trick" is? I'd prefer to keep my engine in one piece.

Also, any insight into gearing for a 510 at Barber? This is my first sumo, I come from a 600 sportbike.

16. trancework

15/39 is what I'm going to run at Barber. I ran a 15/40 at Tally. Tried a 16 on the front, doesn't clear the swingarm mount. Be ready to adjust your chain after the first practice or two, mine stretched something fierce after the first out.

I didn't get to hook up and get the tip at Roebling, spent the whole morning bailing-wiring my GSXR's warped radiator cap together to hold water... Nothing better than twisting the throttle and having a geyser on the right side. See you at Barber!

17. trancework

Changed my oil today... left exising filter. 1.3L 4T 10W/60 Synthetic Race -- magnet plug clean, old oil looked new, new oil to the top of the fill bar, no further. Didn't mess with the magneto. Sounds smooth. It's 1.5L if you change the filter. If you go over the fill you'll blow oil up into the airbox, if you go too low, you're screwed.

The oil is expensive with such frequent changes, but beats riding a hand grenade. Hope this helps.

18. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

See ya on the grid!:beer:

19. trancework

You were looking good out there! :beer:

WRT Gearing: The 39 on the rear was AWESOME at Barber. The rollercoaster and museum were great and the drive coming off of Charlotte's was super sweet!

20. Inquizid

Barber is super fun on a little bike.

PM me trancework, I have a TON of race spares for that bike I'm about to put on ebay... tires, suspension, clutch, gaskets, plugs, tubes and valve stems, etc.