1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slipper Comparison

Discussion in 'Tech' started by steadyeddie, Jul 31, 2009.

1. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

plate gets chewed up, material missing. it just digs in to aluminum. I don't think raw aluminum will discolor easy.

2. TWF2

no, but I have not seen any first hand. the one SE posted does show tiny line where anodizing is going away. I suspect it will get worse.

3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Is it damaging the fiber when it happen. The material has to go somewhere.

4. TWF2

not really, which is funny part. fiber plate looks fine, not even dark from burning.
    it just eats aluminum, one of this 3 plates I have here has grove cut in about 1mm deep.
    you can also see that dark ones wear anodizing where hub pushes against plate while light green don't show wear there or very little. Reason I think SE dark one will fail.

5. Venom51

Wierd...that indicates the oil flow is good enough to wash the material away as it comes off and isn't embedding itself in the fiber.

6. TWF2

This is pic of SE sigma dark plate (posted couple pages ago), you can see wear start to show up.
    none of this wear on light green ones even tough they are been in use for years.

Attached Files:

7. TWF2

it is weird, and it started when dark plates showed up. I have seen about 8 of them, 5 are our team alone and we bought couple new plates. one did same thing, other is still in bike and I did not look at it yet.
    first time I have seen it was on customer bike couple years or so ago, and just like yoyo I blamed it on abuse, guy not checking clutch adjustment...etc. same with next one. after 3rd I started thinking it was problem other than owner.
    I paid really good attention to my last clutch and made sure adjustment did not tighten up and there is proper clearance. it still failed.

8. Venom51

It almost looks like the pressure plate is flexing. Notice that each of the damaged areas line up with each of the springs. Evenly spaced and actually fairly consistent. I wonder if the thing is just suffering from uneven pressure on the plate.

9. TWF2

it is same way stock clutch will wear, you usually get 3 spots that burn.

10. Venom51

I am at a loss. If the fibers aren't being damaged or embedded with material from the hub then I don't see how it can be slipping. But something is polishing the surface on the hub.

11. TWF2

welcome to the club :)
    clutch is not slipping except in slipper mode on downshifts.
    it will start slipping on acceleration when pressure plate wears out enough to take all free play out of clutch mechanism (the thingy on left side where clutch cable attaches to). I was even running little more free play there to help.

12. TWF2

Which is why I don't buy abuse thing any more. once it starts slipping on acceleration it is because pressure plate is gone already. friction plates don't wear out that fast, we get whole season out of them no problem.
    I had same clutch (yoyo) in my 05 gsxr, that thing had more miles on it than I can count and all on same set of plates. never had problem with it.

13. steadyeddie

steadyeddie Well-Known Member

I thought it might have been a little piece of shit on the plate when it was installed. After seeing the green one in your post, I'd like to ask if you have another one hanging around.

14. TWF2

If I had one it would be in my bike :)

15. evil_dave

evil_dave Member

I didn't stay the night in a holiday inn last night. But I do work at a plating shop...

The earlier post about anodize is spot on.

Regular anodize is for decorative purposes mostly.

Hard anodize is pretty tough stuff. And that ugly "green" color is typical for "clear" hard anodize. Part of the reason for the color is also the final seal bath.

Anyway, I would suggest take the parts to a local machine shop and have them measured and compare. I am wondering if they are out of tollerance (possibly from the original machine shop to the Yoyo shop where they are assembled?)

My 2 cents.

16. TWF2

is there place I can just drop this plate and let them check if anodizing is problem?
    I have been reading little about it and it seems that two parts both hard anodized don't necessary have same wear characteristics.

17. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I was thinking about getting my pressure plate cryo treated and hard anodized if I can find a good place.

18. Harp

Harp Well-Known Member

Pulled this one out of my 600RR last year. It had been used/abused for about 2 and a half seasons. I bought a new one and have been running it all year. I'll pull it out this winter to check it.

[​IMG]

19. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Jason is that a YoYo slipper?

20. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

So you know your clutch is going to where evil_dave works for the inspection.