1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Since the Da Vinci Code is coming out.

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by HPPT, May 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

This thread is beginning to suck, I'll help it out.

Formerly an ameoba:

[​IMG]

2. tcasby

tcasby Banned

If your argument is that anything is possible, then the chance of any single idea being true, say the Christian concept of God and the afterlife, is only one in infinity. Your argument eliminates any chance of your own beliefs being correct.

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

No, it makes it one chance in infinity. By the same token, your position would stand an equally infinitesimal chance of being correct. Back to the old circular logic.

4. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Thank you, that has been my point exactly all along. Its an argument that, at present, has absolutely no way of being proven absolutely true on ANY front, be it for or against religion, evolution, nothing. There is no way to completely and undoubtably prove any standpoint. That's why I have no problem with people not believing in religion. What I DO have a problem with is how some who don't believe in religion come down on religious people as ignorant or otherwise.

5. Knarf Legna

You're not even close. The chance of something being true or not has no relationship to the truth of any other thing, they're independent trials.

6. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

That's impressive, your so into arguing, you actually just argued against YOURSELF in your own posting. How is it my option can be one possibility out of infinity, yet be eliminated from having any chance of being possible? Are you now confusing yourself?

7. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Bingo. :stupid:

8. Booger Van der Jackass

Booger Van der Jackass Well-Known Member

Thanks Frank! I like amoebas. They make me happy in pants.

9. Jugglenutz

Jugglenutz Well-Known Member

I think those are fake ameobas :D

10. tcasby

tcasby Banned

I made no statement about the odds of one thing being true vs. another. I make a statement about the odds of one thing being true vs. it not being true in the realm of infinite possibilities.

11. Knarf Legna

Not quite, but whatever. :rolleyes: Saying anything is possible implies that there is a chance that it can happen, which is not the same as saying that is one of an infinite number of outcomes. Your reasoning is bull$hite.

12. baileyrace

baileyrace Well-Known Member

Just to show you I was not lying about physicist and astronomers who are Christian, here are some. I am not smart enough to argue physics. I am fairly competent with biology, but my education is starting to get out of date in some areas. Some of you who think the Bible and science do not mix, may want to read a little here. They do believe that the "big bang" theory is likely .

http://www.reasons.org/about/staff/ross.shtml

Barry

13. Super Dave

Super Dave Exhausted and Abused

I'm not sure I see a difference in your two sentences. Science leaves room for infinite possibilities. So, that's the realm you're gonna have to work in.

14. 2000yellow360

2000yellow360 Well-Known Member

I'm sure some scientists do believe in god. However, take a look at this poll, of physicists. 72% do not believe in god, only 7% do.

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/sci_relig.htm

As you can see, faith, as such, is almost non-existent with those folks.

Art

15. mad brad

mad brad Guest

:rolleyes: 72% do not believe. 7% do. what about the rest? 21% think you are a tool?

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Interesting...do you think their disbelief is based on science or did they gravitate towards science because of disbelief?

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

The egg. No, the chicken. Scratch that, definitely the egg.

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Can't you take a yolk?

19. 2000yellow360

2000yellow360 Well-Known Member

Interesting point of view: did they get there through their knowledge or did they get their knowledge through their belief? I would hope the former, but who knows, could be some of the latter.

It is clear that Einstein didn't believe, held religion to be one of the evils of society.

I think more people are dead as a result of disputes between various religious fractions, than just about any other cause of war. Terrible commentary on the human condition.

Art

20. mad brad

mad brad Guest

art, do you make your employees work on christmas day?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.