1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

should I sell it as a streetbike or trackbike? (1990 ZX7)

Discussion in 'General' started by Schump, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Schump

Schump Pimp w/a Slight Limp

Alas, I'm at a crossroads. This is mostly due to me breaking my damned leg for the 3rd time 2 months ago, along with my father's insistance that "all your motorcycles, parts, magazines, motorcycle clothing, ETC MUST GO!!!..in the next 2 weeks. DAMN IT!"
    fair enough. I still have a bum knee and was pretty sure I didn't want to ride again. Then (stupidly?) I rode my friend's XR250 and in turning it around at the bottom of a cow pasture, heading back up to his truck to put it away and go home, I stupidly grabbed a fistfull of gas trying to have some fun and spin the r tire. that worked, kind of. it loosened up, and very unheroically, I fell over on my already twice broken left leg, breaking it again. 3rd times the charm! PT said it's like when an 80 year old falls out of bed. broke off the top of my femur. 1 more surgery, 1 big bolt, 1 small plate and 4 more screws now added to my terminator leg. :stupid: :crackhead:
    all that rambling being said, I have a 1990 ninja ZX7 in my basement that needs to find a new home. I'm debating whether to sell it as a track bike or spend a little extra money and put lights back on it and make it street legal, and sell it as a running, ridable street bike. FYI here are the stats:
    Bike/motor: 1990 ZX7 w/ ~15,000 miles
    Forks: 2005 ZX636 upside down forks w/ radial mount calipers and matching master cylinder, custom made upper triple clamp.
    Seat: 2 options: stock somewhat bent subframe, (still working on straigtening it) but I do not have the stock seat (bought it w/o seat or bodywork) or attach my racing aluminum subframe, build another, and use the RC45 racing solo tail I have.
    I still need to get another clutch lever, and to make it street legal, head lights, tail light (have all blinkers) and some sort of seat.
    anyone with any advise, please chime it:confused:
    and yes, it DOES run! i rebuilt the carbs again and it was purring 2 nights ago in the basement. also has full Vance & Hines exhaust and a Fox twin clicker remote reservoir shock if that matters.

2. zook1k6

zook1k6 Banned

This is like stepping back in time! How much interest do you think you can get either way? How much do you think you can get? Really?

3. Schump

Schump Pimp w/a Slight Limp

interest? cost? who knows for Noah's Ark of bikes...

well...
    I know this bike wouldn't be competitive on the track, even in vintage (it has to run against ZX9's and GSXR1100's of the same era, and w/ "only" 750cc...duh, it doesn't take a genius to see it wouldn't run up front in V6 or V7 (i can't remember what class it's elligible for.) I was thinking more as just a track day bike, not so much a racebike.
    As for the street, I would guess/hope to get around $1500 for it. But that would include a RC30 upper and of course headlights, tail light, turn signals, clean title, etc. That's just a guess. as for where to sell it, i've heard bikes move really fast on craigslist, although I've owned 4 i've only sold one, and that was through the newspaper, and worth a lot more (1998 Duc 900ss F.E. #187/250)
    so yeah, i'm definitely stepping back in time, but "in their time" this was the bike to get! (of course, when it was new, i wasn't even thinking about riding except on the back of my big brother's bike)
    so, anyhow, i dunno. i hope to finish getting it back together this week but i also have to look for a job and thankgsiving and other BS, so who knows...
    i would hope for $1500 but wouldn't really expect that much, of course.
    either that or like rick from fast lane said, "just part it out. you'll spend too much getting it ready for the street to recoup after you sell it, and besides, the motor is worth something since the 90 is better than the 89, and those are the only motors that fit that frame." (they were the same frame in 1989 and 1990, changed in 1991) that being said, i have no idea what the motor alone is worth, although the forks were about $300 and the front brakes were like $75 or so.