1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I have my Ohlins 30MM extended?

Discussion in 'General' started by Andre Pettas, Sep 10, 2020.

?

Should I have my 30mm's extended?

1. Leave them

37.5%
  2. Extend

62.5%
  1. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Golden rule of thumb, if your expectation is any higher than just circulating at a track day, is to budget another $5-700 for a suspension refresh when buying a bike (or suspension). If there's one thing that's always a constant running joke, is that when buying used aftermarket suspension, it's always "just been refreshed" and will oddly enough seem to always be sprung for your weight according to the seller, whether you're a 130lb teenager kid or 300lb Big Foot. Budgeting a little more accounts for those parts that need replaced that haven't been touched since they were initially installed since the person you bought them off of only did pump n dumps and ignored everything else...

There's a 90% chance the suspension is due for a service, and 100% chance it's not setup for you. Buying aftermarket stuff and bolting it on and going is near meaningless. Find a reputable suspension guy and have them go through it and set it up.

Here's the way I look at it: Parts are parts, so even if I decided to service my suspension myself (I don't, because it's beyond my capabilities), what the suspension guy charges me for parts is the same out of pocket cost I would pay. I look at his labor rate as the cost to get it set up for me, as I'm buying his experience, not his actual labor. I've owned about 5 track bikes so far in 8 years. Somebody like Mike (MDM) probably touches 15, 20 bikes - a week? They see, and have access to more data in a month than the average rider does in an average club level racer in a life time. That is a very small price for me to pay when I dropped my stuff off with MDM. He's probably worked with a few hundred racers that are +/- 1 second off my pace, and could get my bike setup to be 95% spot on right out of the box, and I don't have to do a damn thing. No thinking required.

Literally not worth my time to bother learning how to disassemble those pogo sticks or how I need to set them up.