1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I have my Ohlins 30MM extended?

Discussion in 'General' started by Andre Pettas, Sep 10, 2020.

?

Should I have my 30mm's extended?

1. Leave them

37.5%
  2. Extend

62.5%
  1. So you have two different opinions and now you are looking for a vote? FFS. You have a suspension tuner but basically instead of taking his advice decide to go on a public forum and second guess him? That’s something special right there.

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

That was my thought but I was trying to be nice by not saying it:crackup:

3. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

there's a wealth of information on this board but nobody will have the answers a qualified suspension guy will that knows your setup, your skill and your tracks your on. For me its not trying to find the most amazing suspension guy but the guy who will work with me and i can work with him. I don't use the most popular guy in my area but he'll always answer my phone and customer service is great. in turn my bike feels awesome

Andre Pettas likes this.
  4. Bit harsh but geez, even called out your suspension tuner? To me that is just very disrespectful not to mention why the heck are you even paying him? This is the purest example of an ask-hole.

noles19 likes this.
  5. brex

brex Well-Known Member

You should extend the left one, but not the right.

notbostrom, sdg and Knotcher like this.
  6. noles19

I had that, it makes getting the front axle in very difficult

brex likes this.
  7. Andre Pettas

Andre Pettas Member

This will be my first time working with this suspension tuner. Evan Steel who's tuned my suspension in the past has been working full time at his shop and with Kyle Wyman. The tuner that I am going with now isn't as well known as most, thus why I wanted to make sure I start in the right direction. I don't see how that makes me an asshole trying to ensure I start on the correct path.

The other reason I'm asking this is because my suspension tuner I plan on using has zero experience at the track I primarily race at, which is the complete opposite of what he usually works on.

8. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

Therein lies the problem

badmoon692008 likes this.
  9. Then find a new tuner because obviously this ones not working out. Is he a tuner or a person that just puts suspension together? I don’t want to bad mouth a person I know nothing about but if your tuner has nothing really to offer for “the track you ride most” you need a different tuner.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  10. Andre Pettas

Andre Pettas Member

Clearly you haven't been to Arroyo lol. It's in the middle of nowhere in New Mexico. Unfortunately in Arizona, there are no racing series, so I have to travel out of state wherever I race. The only tuner that frequents there is Evan Steel Performance, who's working as Kyle Wymans mechanic this season. He's an actual tuner, you can view his work on instagram/facebook if you care to. Bobby Loo - Motorrev Suspension Tuning https://www.instagram.com/motorrev_suspensiontuning/

11. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned fork oil level for the bottoming.

Bloodhound, Bruce and Andre Pettas like this.
  12. That would be up to suspension tuner to decide.

notbostrom likes this.
  13. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

I see what you did there

14. Well it’s true, isn’t it? :)

notbostrom likes this.
  15. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Anyone stuck with 30mm should really get it extended. :D

Gorilla George likes this.
  16. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

That was my thought as well. If the front is doing everything you want but you're bottoming, why not raise the oil level? I mean as far as my backyard "hack" suspension skills go, that seems like something worth trying.

17. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Data acquisition zip tie strikes again...

Suspension changes should be inspired by solving a handling issue. A visual indication of what the fork did once isn't cause for alarm. If you were describing a handling sensation caused by bottoming the forks multiple times per lap, that would be actionable.

That said, there is no downside to stretching the carts and I do it as SOP on initial install.

Bruce, evakat, TurboBlew and 2 others like this.
  18. twistychaser

twistychaser Well-Known Member

Hello, I'm going to hijack this old thread hoping for an answer for a novice on the topic of this thread.

Question: I bought a set of forks with nix 30 carts installed. Also bought a ttx shock from same guy. He told me forks had been extended when the carts were installed by the tuner. As stated above, I'm a novice. Do I need to lengthen the rear shock as well to match the lengthened forks? This may sound like a dumb question, but I learn something from every dumb question I ask.

11 Zx6r

19. noles19

Id just ride the bike and pick a suspension tuner and ask him

20. twistychaser

twistychaser Well-Known Member

I will do that for sure.