1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shop Management Software

Discussion in 'General' started by Gumby647, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Gumby647

Gumby647 Señor Member

I'm looking to see what other small shops are using for management software. I've been just using Quickbooks but I'd like to see if there is something reasonably priced and easy to use. I've used Lightspeed in dealerships but that will be over my budget.

Thanks

2. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

We went fromQuickbooks to light speed many years ago.

Couldn't find anything in between we liked.

Very happy with light speed but yes it's hella expensive.

3. Gumby647

Gumby647 Señor Member

That's not what I was hoping to hear.

4. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Not sure what all you are wanting it to do, but i Use a program from Auto Labor experts that works really well and is pretty versatile. I do both cars and bikes though. It works really well for the automotive stuff and has provisions for custom vehicles that covers he bike side. Its pretty inexpensive also.

5. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Sorry man....

For a small repair shop only I'd say quikbooks would be fine.

If you're gonna become a franchise then lighspeed 100%

6. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

What, specifically, are you trying to do?

7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

You should hire a CTO ASAP...

Mot Okstef and Scotty87 like this.
  8. HMEN

HMEN Well-Known Member

We use light speed, in the shop I used to work. The only complaint I have was that they didn't update the parts numbers or prices when the OEMs did. It was a constant battle for me since I was the Parts Manager. But it may have been that whoever was in charge of the updates for our shop wasn't doing their job.

9. Uncle Snake

Uncle Snake Well-Known Member

I'm in QB ALL DAY. Find something else.

10. Gumby647

Gumby647 Señor Member

i'm wanting something that will handle work orders and parts in a faster easier fashion. Currently it takes way to long to look up parts, price them add them to an invoice to make someone an estimate.

11. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

Commander NE

I've found it's a good middle ground from QB and Lightspeed. Very reasonably priced (compared to lightspeed) easy to use and does a great job.

They offer modules too. One is for parts fiche (HLSM) and one is a labor time guide (service manager pro <CTO company>). Both are well priced and offer a decent service as well.

I'd recommend all of the above. We have issues will all of the above but, in the grand scheme of things and considering cost we haven't found a reason to move away from it.

12. Gumby647

Gumby647 Señor Member

I've looked at the Commander website and asked for a quote but have yet to receive one just some automated replys. What are the problems you are having? What is the approximate cost initially and monthly?

13. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

Only real issue is they don't have a way to issue returns through the PO side of things, that is a concern of ours.

I recall it being about $1k-$1500 (5 licenses to start) to get going and $50/mo ongoing. I think additional licenses are $200/ea and we have 8 now.

It integrates with QB and that's what my money ladies use for bookkeeping. They comment (lightly complain) about them wishing it had a couple of functions, but it doesn't so I don't care or recall what they are.

Prior to using them we used QB and I couldn't stand making part numbers. Commander has price files for anyone you're likely buying from in any volume and they update them monthly. That alone was worth the price...

If they haven't called you back, just ring them. They've always been responsive to us and tech support is super responsive too.

14. Gumby647

Gumby647 Señor Member

That sounds pretty reasonable. I'll give them a ring next week and see what they have to say.

Thanks

15. nhammond54

nhammond54 Hammond Brothers Racing

We just opened a shop and we are using Lizzy. Just Google Lizzy operating system or the parent company is Nizex. Same $1,500 to start and $120 a month. My buddy that works for Suzuki turned me on to it and it works great so far. Just go to learn the ins and outs of it. Way cheaper than Lightspeed with all of the functions. They are working on a integrated Flat rate look up too. But for now using Service Manager Pro. You may know Cr Gittere that used to Roadrace. He owns that company.

osuyzfr1 likes this.
  16. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

And I was totally kidding... :crackup::crackup::crackup:

17. Critter

Critter Registered

Please feel free to contact me at work 704-504-1731, I have detailed information on all the DMS systems in the market place and can help guide you in your decision, and yes QB sucks to run the front end on, but they are good for your back end accounting.

18. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Lightspeed has an API and just (about damned time) released their CSV update tool. Internal data updates are the client's responsibility. Though if I recall they do offer several feeds from large scale vendors. Mostly in the bicycle industry as they used to be MerchantOS which got started in the bicycle shop vertical.

What are your objectives? What do you mean by management software? If all you're trying to do is keep track of accounting and invoice just use Quickbooks.

Lightspeed is a POS system, it's good for customer facing employees when you have a high level of face to face transactions. You still need accounting software on the backend.

19. Critter

Critter Registered

CDK Lightspeed has their own internal accounting, if he goes that route he would not need quickbooks.

Robby-Bobby likes this.
  20. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Critter, do any of the POS systems allow imports for orders back into the POS? I'm a rep for PU and that's the one thing that I hate about lightspeed. Its SOOO much faster building orders in our system but we have to just print them out and hand enter them into lightspeed and all the other POS systems that I know of.