1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shop labor rates

Discussion in 'General' started by Gino230, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

What would you expect to pay (per hour) at a decent race shop?

Tire swap and new chain- $400. + tax.

$200 DID EVR520 chain
    $100 swap tires
    $100 install chain and sprocket.

I ran out of time or I would have done the tire swap myself. The bike has quick change, literally takes 15 min. Tire swap at the track is $15.
    The chain I usually pay to have the master link done, since it's kind of critical and I've never done one before.

But I'm feeling a little bent over here.....

2. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

At the track, do you just bring them the wheels AND buy the tires from them?

3. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Chain swap is a 15 minute job if you know what you're doing.

I had someone tell me just yesterday that they pay the Honda shop $500 each year to clean the carb on their 1970 Honda Trail 90. I educated them about using non ethanol gas in the future, so hopefully they won't get bent over like this every year.

4. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I imagine the high cost for the tire swap is because they were still on the bike, so regardless of it being a quick change they bill it as an hour.

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

R&R both wheels
    R&R rear sprocket (I'm assuming only the rear)
    R&R tires
    Balance tires
    Cut chain
    Cut new chain to length
    Install new chain and peen master link
    Adjust chain tension and adjust rear wheel

backbone and 418 like this.
  6. Gino230

Yes.

But even if I already have the tires (mail order, for example), They usually charge me $15 for the swap. Both wheels.

7. Gino230

I guess you're right, the tech probably worked on the bike for 2 hours doing all that shit.

Since I always do it myself I was a little surprised, that's all.

8. bbsteinnewyork

bbsteinnewyork Active Member

Not bad. Thats a fair price.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

9. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

One more thing to remember - they are responsible for the bike while they are working on it. If it tips, they pay. Insurance ain't cheap.

Canadian Bacon likes this.
  10. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

The tire swap seems fair, thats around what a Dealer charges here.

The chain Id say is a little on the expensive side. Just checked my PMs and last ERV3 I got was about $60 cheaper from Ridersdiscount. And sounds like 1 hour labor to install it, could probably be done in 30min but 1hr isnt unfair either.

BTW I would buy a chain breaker and riveter, it is not that difficult to do and very handy.

11. You got a little raked over on the chain price itself but +/- $20-40 bucks is fair depending on your area.

12. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Holy fuck ! I do a ton of carbs and I'm usually 200 -250 ish on a inline 4 and that is pulling them and everything, a single carb like on a 4 wheeler might be 100 -120. My shop rate is $60.

I mount and balance most tires at a flat rate, 40 each if they buy them from me, 50 if they bring them in, that's pulling them off the bike. 20 and 25 if they bring in the wheels.

13. That's actually very cheap to do both wheels.

14. Plus overhead costs, etc it's not way out there.

15. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Surprised at what your time is really worth? :)

Rich Graver, rcarson15 and Gino230 like this.
  16. Weld and machine me a new case. I have $12 dollars. Cool? :D

Phl218 likes this.
  17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Price was fair... its not like the shop owner is retiring and setting sail to date single mothers in the Carribean! :D

Figure a really skilled tech could pull down $25-30/hr. Shop has to charge $100+ to cover his WC and income tax at a minimum.

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

If they do a great job and your bike isn't covered in chain lube and mechanic slobber you got a good enough deal. Probably paid a bit much of the chain and sprockets but who gives a shit.

19. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Seems high as hell to me.

20. Phl218

Phl218 .

Close to treefiddy so - ok

Gino230 likes this.