1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shock removal

Discussion in 'Tech' started by R1Racer99, Mar 21, 2015.

1. eel

eel Well-Known Member

The orientation of the top of the shock does not matter as far as the sharft movement is concerned.
    Just make sure the resevoir and/or preload adjuster (if it is clamped to the res) will clear the swingarm when it comes up on track.

2. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

What eel said. You could turn the head of the shock 90 degrees if the reservoir would clear - it doesn't matter, the piston goes up and down exactly the same.

3. FZ1guy

FZ1guy Hey...watch this

Here is how you work on both ends at the same time...

[​IMG]

4. cartmen34

cartmen34 Well-Known Member

Interesting. I assumed the shock rotated on both ends as it moved up and down.

Ok guys. Thanks to everybody for all the answers!

5. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

When you take the shock out, clamp the lower mount in a vice. Grasp the head/reservoir and turn. It doesn't care. Same with a fork. All the fancy parts inside are circular and symmetrical. The non fancy parts are just in there holding the fancy ones in place. :)

6. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

That's "pro"

7. cartmen34

cartmen34 Well-Known Member

Sure, that makes sense. My thinking (assumption) was that the top of the shock actually rotated slightly around the mounting bushing using the top bolt as a pivot point as the shock compressed and rebounded. By the sound of things the top of the shock stays stationary while the shock is in motion.

Thanks again!

8. almano

almano The crazy Hungarian

Hi guys. Any idea where can I buy this one? received_473869403420624.jpeg

9. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

You don’t need to buy the graves mount. Just grind yours a tad so it can rotate and then put the bolt through and then the nut on and have someone tack weld it up. Plus the graves mount is like 3mm shorter I think so you’ll need to account for that by lengthening your shock if you want the same geometry

10. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

or could slip the shim in there. I didn't know the graves mount was shorter. I have em on my bikes .. i'll have to check that out.

11. Suzuka_joe

yeah using the shim or extending the shock, but i'm almost positive the graves mount is shorter. If you have them side by side i'd love to have a clear answer on that as well.

12. redphu

redphu Well-Known Member

Reviving thread:

Do I use the factory torque settings on an Ohlins rear a TTX shock? How do you get a torque wrench in the space as the two subframe mounting posts don’t allow a lot of space.

13. Suzuka_joe

Loosen the top bolt under the tank and you can rotate the shock enough to get a ratchet on the bolt and a wrench on the nut. Torque specs are gutentite

14. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Wrong.