1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shipping a frame

Discussion in 'General' started by Marcmcm, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

I have a frame I need to ship. What's the best method of packaging? Boxes that large are tough to find. Can I shrink wrap it and ship it? Combine 2 boxes together?

2. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

UPS? Yep. Shrink-wrap, reinforce any sharp corners with cardboard, pay big bucks.

I've read here on the BBS that Greyhound is cheaper.

3. Evad101

Evad101 Well-Known Member

Large shipping boxes can be found at U-Haul for pretty cheap. I now when I ship bodywork sets, I go get a large Wardrobe box form them for about $12. Plenty large enough for a set of bodywork. May even work for a frame.

What ever you do, do not use packing peanuts, the really do not protect well as they settle and the part will end up against the cardboard. Bubble wrap is your best bet for protection.

4. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

U-Haul sells those big wardrobe boxes which are great for frames or bodywork sets. If you go to one of those UPS stores expect to pay somewhere around $35 for the box and a roll of bubble wrap.

Do not just shrink wrap and ship it, it will get some damage.

5. sln

sln Slow LWT newb

I shrink wrapped a frame to a piece of plywood, added a few strategic pieces of styrofoam on the edges, and stuffed the whole thing in one of those wardrobe boxes previously mentioned.

6. alocker

alocker Well-Known Member

The frame wont brake, so you dont need an actual box. Take a nice thick box and cut pieces to wrap it with cardboard and tape it good. It will be the smallest and lightest that way.