1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shelving Help

Discussion in 'General' started by R Acree, Dec 13, 2018.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I am writing an Invitation to Bid to furnish and install shelving in out new records retention archive. Having a hard time finding the manufacturer of the heavy duty shelving I used as the basis for the layout. Is anyone here familiar with industrial or distribution center shelving? I need a unit module approximately 60"w x 36" deep x 144" high. Each module will have 5 shelves supporting 2500 to 2700 pounds.

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Foo? Paging Foo.

3. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I dont know if it helps, but we used these guys for racking when I worked outside ATL. Maybe see what they can find for you?

https://rackmen.com/shelving/

5. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

If this is for a government entity (where you don't care about cost), ignore the following.

Warehouse shelving of all types has a huge secondary market. You can buy the stuff much cheaper than new, yet it be fully functional. I'd suggest you mention "used hardware (conditionally) OK" as part of your RFQ. If that is possible.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Umm...write it into the spec and let the bidders source it.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I'm kinda picky about making sure what I spec actually exists.

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Been in contact with them. Gonna speak back with them tomorrow.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

That's not your problem! :crackup:

10. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Make it yourself. And post pics. We need entertainment.

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

And get all dirty? Yuck.

12. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

Did you see the video of the warehouse racking collapse where every rack collapsed? It sounds like you are looking for something similar to palletized racking. I'd pick a standard size pallet and base my design on that. Just because you design a 15.273" wheel doesn't mean Dunlop will build you a tire.
    How(hand/lift) will the shelving be loaded? A 3x5×12' box that weighs up to 2700# seems like it could be unstable if the weight is put in the wrong spot. Never underestimate the power of ignorance in concentrated doses.

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Boxes are 12w x 16 d x 10h. Not big, just a lot of them. A fully loaded shelf (24 boxes) would be a fairly uniform distributed load. Not all boxes would be jammed full so the 2700# is a worst case with a safety factor. I based my design on the shelving at a nearby certified archive center.

14. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Rev A Shelf. I know one of the key players and they're a good company. I'm pretty sure they do the heavy industrial racks.

15. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

Look for a label on their stuff...if you have a flat space, someone will set something on it. It may or may not hold it.

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Wow...why didn't I think of that.

17. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

Not sure if serious or not...

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Sarchasm. If I had access to a name plate, I would have looked. I have made an inquiry to the owner, but I figured that the beeb is a resource and someone here would know of at least one mfr. I cannot sole source anything without a very good reason (like matching something we already have) so I need options. The boxes are small, there are 24000 of them to store. I need a shelf dimension that does not leave too much unusable space (length and depth need to be close to multiples of the box size.

19. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Spacesaver might have something that you're looking for. I've done work in their facility and it seems like what I saw there might fit into what you're looking for.

http://www.spacesaver.com/

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Thanks, I have been in contact with them. We use their system now, but their system height stops at 120", I need to go 144".