1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

service writer rant

Discussion in 'General' started by colin96, Aug 23, 2017.

1. colin96

colin96 Well-Known Member

Service writer rant.

Wife's car, 2012 Infiniti G37. 75k miles, great car, fun, reliable, happy with it. Bought Used in 2014 as a Certified Pre-Owned with extended warranty, had like 20k on the clock. No issues until last winter. Hard to completely fill fuel tank, gas nozzle would click off way before full, so most likely not venting properly. Wouldn't do it 100% of the time, but say 75%. Needed a periodic maintenance service done so when we scheduled that, we asked them to check the fuel system and see if they can fix the vent issue.

Service rep calls to inform me they could not duplicate the symptom. I ask what did you do, he says they filled it with 5 gal of gas, no shut-off. Eye-roll, well ok then if it occurs again I'll have it right back in.....oh yes sir by all means. So we get car back, and zero fueling issue for 3-4 months, hmmmmmm. Then it starts to happen again, maybe 20% of the time, which is good, but still annoying, so at least I know what it is, I'll deal with it later.

Now dead of summer. July letter from Nissan/Infiniti NA. Notice to advise of warranty timeframe extension for Evap Emission Ventilation Tube. Symptom:Premature Fueling refill shut-off. Unable to fully fill tank, tank not venting to fill completely. Fits my symptoms perfectly. Ha! I'm not crazy. Ok cool, when next service is needed, we'll get it sorted out then.
    Ok so Monday I call dealer, tell them one service item I need, and then 2 issues to please look at, including the intermittent fuel filling issue. Cool, drop it off this afternoon.
    Service writer calls while my wife is doing the dropoff. "Sir this is John with Infiniti service, we don't see a recall for a fuel venting issue for your car". John nobody says there is a recall, but there is a service warranty extension for a symptom I'm having while fueling my car. It describes my symptom to a T, and I had it in your dept last January to be fixed. But your tech was unable to duplicate the symptom. It has been intermittent since then, but we also received a letter from Infiniti describing the symptom and a possible faulty tank Ventilation system. Will you please try and find a resolution? "Well sir that may entail some diagnostic measures that you can be billed for at $135 an hour". I said would that be the same procedure as last time when your tech drove to to your fuel tank and filled 5 gals of gas, without issue, and deemed the system working as normal. Is that the actual factory diagnosis for that system? " well if we replace that part under warranty but the part is not defective and they test it, then they won't pay the warranty claim". I said how much do you think that part is? "Well I have no idea". I said is it worth emails up the chain and a blast on your customer service survey? I said this is the second attempt on our part to get this issue resolved and you want to act like you haven't dealt with this issue on these cars, in spite of a factory service bulletin and obvious symptoms fitting those described in the letter from Infiniti NA. I said I have worked in service departments, in parts departments, and I know that an email to your area warranty rep can get things done, but before all that, since it is an intermittent issue, and you may not be able to duplicate the symptom, would it really kill your bottom line to try and satisfy the customer on this one issue with the car?

So at that point we stopped the back and forth when he said, well let's get it looked at and go from there.

Seriously, why do they put up the front like that? He can see in my service history that it was in before with the same symptom, it matches the bulletin, it's back for it again. Surely one of his techs will take that ticket and make some money, as well as the other items he can flag. But I just can't stand that they play it off like that's the last thing that could be actually wrong with the car.

Sorry, long winded rant, and I don't see it going my way, so I'm prepping mentally.

Colin

2. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

You think he actually read your history before speaking to you? Ha!

backbone, crusty9r and Jon Wilkens like this.
  3. 418

418 Expert #59

So you think this is the service writers fault?

If you've worked in service departments you should know warranty or recalls don't exactly make anybody rich and are a hassle. Sounds like Nissan are being dicks about it and the service writer is covering his ass accordingly. The whole diag fee if its not the recall is SOP at any dealer I've worked at.

Also, did you not take the letter in with you?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  4. colin96

The letter is specific to my VIN, it's in the database.

I get it, yes he has to have the discussion with me, but this is round 2, same issue with factory docs to back up the symptom and remedy. There was no diagnostic last time, as I'm sure there won't be one this time, just another attempt at filling the tank.

Nobody is getting rich off warranty work, but the issue is there and needs a remedy to my satisfaction. Warranty documentation is a drag, but it's part of the job, don't like it, get another job. None of those counterpoints make it right to let the customer have to live with a service issue that exists under an extended warranty.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  5. busa99

busa99 Well-Known Member

Service writer IS being a jerk. YES the tech does need to verify a complaint but trust me if There is a known problem with a given part, it is not being called back for testing. The dealer will hold said part for 30-60 days depending upon the manufacturer before it clears warranty and they throw it out. He could have looked in to the history and saw that this is not just someone that got a letter and wants something done, it is a customer that has had a history of the exact complaint. I guarantee if you go to the dealer in the next town and explain how there competitor has treated you they will gladly fix it.

6. 418

418 Expert #59

I'm not going to argue with you since you seem pretty upset but everything youre talking about has nothing to do with the service writer. He's literally doing his job and appeasing you is only part of it. Protecting the dealer is priority. Saying that...

Politely ask to talk to the service manager, bring the letter and explain the situation. This should get things moving in the right direction. Did you buy the car from said dealer? I assume so, that should swing the leverage in your favor.

throwdown likes this.
  7. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Didn't Nissan have some sort of fueling issue a few years ago because spiders were getting into the vent hoses?

8. throwdown

throwdown Well-Known Member

We have Infiniti next door to us here, in New Orleans, I see you are in Houston, if you happen to be in the area swing by and I'll have them do it for you. I feel your pain, we are forced by the manufacturers to play dumb a lot, but it seems like they are jerking you around unnecessarily.

busa99 likes this.
  9. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

Cayenne 4.5 coolant pipes *cough*

10. colin96

Yes purchased from this dealer SW Infiniti of Houston.

Car hasn't even been to the tech yet, so basically he was drawing the line in the sand, so I'm pinning it on him until the situation changes.

You aare right though, speak to service manager and probably get resolved.

11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I got the same schpiel on a truck I was leasing, had a speed related howl and the service conniver told me they would charge me for the diagnosis if they couldn't find anything. I told them to fix the fucking truck, and if they can't find anything wrong to call Chrysler and tell them their techs are all incompetent.

When I returned the truck at end of lease, I rolled up with it in my enclosed trailer, being pulled by my new truck. When they asked me what I was going to do with the trailer, I told them I was pulling their piece of shit out of it and driving away in my new truck I bought elsewhere.

I won't even get into all the bullshit I had to deal with with a Ford I bought...

12. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Did they use a Harbor Freight Generator to power the tools?

wrx_02 and TurboBlew like this.
  13. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

How are you not working in Public Relations?

TurboBlew and eggfooyoung like this.
  14. 10MM

10MM Action Reaction

Bottom line is no one (or only a select few) actually give a shit about the job they do anymore ... and this most definitely includes the Spode that made my breakfast tacos in Port Aransas this past weekend ...

Sorry to hear this old friend I certainly would not tolerate that in my operation ... but do reach out to the S/M ... and bleed on the survey if they blow you off like the north wind ...

pickled egg likes this.
  15. I know exactly what your issue is and the fix for it, what I do for a living.

16. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Same reason you aren't.

Racism.

renegade17 likes this.
  17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

a more reasonable approach would have been to yell, scream, rant & rave and make service bay angels until you get some satisfaction. :D
    Then yelp about it. Contact the BBB and file a false claim.

18. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Or the DMV

19. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Or the Audi A4.

I think we are seeing a pattern here.

20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

They've been fantastic at the Audi dealership. Loaner cars and repairs made pronto. They haven't thrown me any attitude.

Audi USA on the other hand, I just let the lawyer talk to them. ;)